Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:59 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

I don't see that the OP has any basis to sue if they pull the offer for any or even no reason.

Many in his field work as independent contractors. I suggest using the term 'worked with' when describe your work/contributions.

While the IRS rules don't require keeping W-2s/1099s over 5 (or is it 7) years I recommend that people still in the workforce keep them until they retire. Actually after 20 years they are fun to look at as you reflect on those experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
I work closely with HR, and I really don't think this is going to be an issue, you just got confused between doing work for the company and being employed by them, a simple provision of document should satisfy the inquiry, if they pull an offer because of that, I would seriously sue because it's just a wrong reason to pull an offer, you did not intentionally mislead anyone, you did not falsify information, you just have not presented your work for the Youtube company from the right perspective. Please keep us posted!
What. The. Hell.

Employers can pull an offer for any reason. Not having a clear background check is an easy reason for the employer to justify.

However, as the OP noted - it doesn't seem to be an issue now.

Geez - people wonder why employers won't give any information in the hiring process. So many special butterflies get sue-happy, even frivolous suits take time and money to contest.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 10,440 times
Update: I contacted HR and it seems the Youtube company has went through okay (I think), but they wouldn't give me any clear answer if it was approved or not. Still kinda waiting around...

They then e-mailed me and asked to verify my employment information at my first job that I worked at my sophomore-senior year in High School. I gave them that information, asked about the status of my background check, and all they said was "We will let you know when the background check is complete."

I already have orientation scheduled and have to go pick up my new badge, booklets, ect, ect from the new workplace, but it would be nice to know that my background check is completed considering I start next week...

Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 AM

8 posts, read 10,440 times
FINAL UPDATE: Background check is closed, anxiety is gone, and I can move on with my life!

Thank you guys so much for helping me through this. This is my first job using my college degree and it would have been ridiculous to screw it up. I can't thank you guys enough!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Nice! Congrats!

Don't lose the badge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search