Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,432 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I recently obtained a killer job in another city. Went through the online hiring process, the interviews, ect and it turns out they love me. To make a long story short they offered me the job and I have accepted. The only thing they are waiting on is the background check and this is where the issues comes up.

I have no criminal history, my education was correct, and my current job was correct (working here 4 years in management). Anyway, in 2011 I was hired by a huge company that works for Youtube to create and edit videos. I signed a five year contract with them, made videos, got my paycheck sent via paypal, and even had a W-2 sent at the end of the year.

In 2012 I stopped making videos but was still paid monthly as my videos were still getting viewed. The company explained that was okay as they took a certain percentage of the money from the views. I put them down on my resume' considering it was a type of employment and I thought it would be okay. Well, the background check company called me and let me know they got in touch with the Youtube company and the YT company couldn't verify I worked there. I explained the situation that I've never actually been to the corporation but simply get paid online for what I do. I asked them if sending a copy of my paystub would be okay and they suggested I try it but said I would most likely need a supervisor to talk to.

Well, I sent my paystub today and they said everything looks good, but they would let me know for sure if it was okay tomorrow. I finally was able to get in touch with the Youtube company and they said I am simply partnered with them and don't work for the company itself. I am so confused considering they pay me from the corporation, and I am working under them.

So now what do I do? This is my first amazing job and I start orientation at the end of this month. I didn't give false information on purpose, but now it's going to look like I never worked for that company although I have specific proof! I'm so afraid I'm going to get fired now even though I've tried my best to be honest and truthful about everything.

I'm just pretty worried about this guys and could use any help/advice you could give me. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 PM

285 posts, read 534,060 times
I used to work freelance and contracted with a bunch of different companies, but was not technically their 'employee'. I listed it on my resume as freelance work but mentioned a few of the companies as having worked 'with' them... perhaps in the future you should indicate that on your resume? I don't know if that's the proper way, but I figured it was the most accurate and least likely to cause confusion (hasn't been a problem so far). I would definitely send copies of your contract and W2/paystubs with their company name on them (although, you might want to re-read your contract first to see if it clarifies your position with them). I would also probably clarify with the hiring manager or person you interviewed with, I don't always trust random HR people and like to go straight to the top if there's an issue...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman92 View Post
Well, I sent my paystub today and they said everything looks good, but they would let me know for sure if it was okay tomorrow. I finally was able to get in touch with the Youtube company and they said I am simply partnered with them and don't work for the company itself. I am so confused considering they pay me from the corporation, and I am working under them.

So now what do I do?
You do what you should have done in the first place....

Quote:
and even had a W-2 sent at the end of the year.
Send them the W-2. Employees get W-2s, Non-employees do not. That's what they need.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Was it a W-2 or a 1099? That really sounds like a position that would have been a 1099 IC-type position. Not a deal breaker on the majority of BK checks, probably just clarify that and everything will move forward.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Was it a W-2 or a 1099? That really sounds like a position that would have been a 1099 IC-type position. Not a deal breaker on the majority of BK checks, probably just clarify that and everything will move forward.
It does sound a 1099 and I doubt this would be an absolute deal breaker. He was doing work for them, and sadly it sounds like he was unsure of what his "type of employment" was.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It does sound a 1099 and I doubt this would be an absolute deal breaker. He was doing work for them, and sadly it sounds like he was unsure of what his "type of employment" was.
Yeah... I signed it when I was 18 and was just very excited about everything. I do actually believe it's a 1099 and not a W-2. I am also believing that I am considered a contractor and not an actual employee.

I'm really confused on what to do/say as of now...

Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Quote:
Yeah... I signed it when I was 18 and was just very excited about everything. I do actually believe it's a 1099 and not a W-2. I am also believing that I am considered a contractor and not an actual employee.

I'm really confused on what to do/say as of now...
Makes sense now. Technically, you worked for yourself, and had a contract for the YouTube company.

It should be relatively easy to straignten out with a copy of your 1099-C and a copy of the contract. At that age, it'll be pretty easy to plead a bit of ignorance and just establish that you indeed performed work for this company.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
What you should do is not worry about this preventing you from passing the background check. You sent in the stub, if they question it further just tell them what others have explained here.

Let us know the status of being hired and good luck.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Okay, thank you guys so much! The background check company e-mailed me this morning stating that the paystub should do just fine, and they're going to send it to my employer just to verify.

I wish I would have kept my copy of the contract and I'll still have to hunt for my 1099-C. I did find a W9 (I believe it is) that I signed a while back stating that I would be under a five year contract. Ahhh I wish I would have thought about all this before I put it on my resume'.

Still, I'm remaining hopeful! I'll keep you guys updated!

Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,733 times
I work closely with HR, and I really don't think this is going to be an issue, you just got confused between doing work for the company and being employed by them, a simple provision of document should satisfy the inquiry, if they pull an offer because of that, I would seriously sue because it's just a wrong reason to pull an offer, you did not intentionally mislead anyone, you did not falsify information, you just have not presented your work for the Youtube company from the right perspective. Please keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search