Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 PM

29,430 posts, read 22,337,909 times

Advertisements

Ok, I can see the point about finding jobs applying online. In another thread a poster mentioned going out more and all. But my past two jobs were found by applying online, so there.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dont-b...pU8hgAsPHQtDMD
Quote:
If you are tired of the job search rat race, then stop doing what you are doing. While you are at it, dismiss all the assumptions you've made about how jobs get filled. People hire people, not résumés. Let's debunk your beliefs and myths associated with job searching:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,802,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ok, I can see the point about finding jobs applying online. In another thread a poster mentioned going out more and all. But my past two jobs were found by applying online, so there.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dont-b...pU8hgAsPHQtDMD
Exactly, my last 4 jobs were found applying online. Even networking is a great way to land a job opportunity I don't think applying online should be viewed as a waste of time.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 AM

820 posts, read 1,204,861 times
Every job I've had has been from applying online.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,802,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Every job I've had has been from applying online.
Now if they mean Online Applications then they may have a point but other sites give you the option to email your directly to the employer like Careerbuilder and Craigslist

Old 09-18-2014, 12:17 AM

21,658 posts, read 24,789,425 times
Resume point is kind of obvious but well-taken. The rest is drivel. It's either so obvious it's not worth mentioning (interview for every application) or so obviously wrong it's not worth pointing out.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,121 posts, read 80,221,880 times
All of these are yes and no, depending on the company. There is no right or wrong, that's the problem. People have to do the research and find out the best way to apply depending on the company. Here for example, we have 2,000 employees, the lowest paid is about $30k all the way up to $350k, with the majority in the 80-125k range. There is no way that networking would help other than hearing about an opening but that's available to anyone on the website if they check it regularly. We cannot by policy hire someone without interviewing others and a hiring manager would by policy have to be
excluded from that process if they know a candidate. The only way to apply is through the website. Even when we advertise openings on other sites it will be with a link to our site. Anything submitted by mail, fax, or in person will be discarded.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,547,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In another thread a poster mentioned going out more and all.
It's not about the delivery methods used for the content. It's about knowing who will get the information and what they will do with it!!!

Laws just need to be changed to state all information provided from applicants written or verbal must not be used for anything except deciding if the applicant is a fit for the job. After the position is filled any and all information, about the applicant, gleaned through any manner must be destroyed sent to the applicant and no copies can be kept by the employer.

This way any erroneous information will be seen by the applicant at end of process so that applicant can not be harmed. Also the information cannot be used for any other purpose that might harm applicant or employer either intentionally or unintentionally.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM

34,834 posts, read 30,905,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
All of these are yes and no, depending on the company. There is no right or wrong, that's the problem. People have to do the research and find out the best way to apply depending on the company. Here for example, we have 2,000 employees, the lowest paid is about $30k all the way up to $350k, with the majority in the 80-125k range. There is no way that networking would help other than hearing about an opening but that's available to anyone on the website if they check it regularly. We cannot by policy hire someone without interviewing others and a hiring manager would by policy have to be
excluded from that process if they know a candidate. The only way to apply is through the website. Even when we advertise openings on other sites it will be with a link to our site. Anything submitted by mail, fax, or in person will be discarded.
A lot of companies function like this now. While there are a lot of gripes with online applications, it is often the only way to go.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,408,560 times
The first one is wrong, the rest are obvious. Worthless article.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:01 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,159,363 times
The author is pushing a book, but I think networking is highly overrated. I've never gotten a job like that and very few people I know ever have, though some thought their connections would help, but did not. Job boards are like the old newspaper ads. How else does the company advertise the position if not online? I also disagree that the job is usually filled from within. Many companies prefer people who are not already in the company, and if someone does get the position, that still leaves another position open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search