Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It apparently is here. It was looked into after a Boston Globe story on it and it was found to be fine. It was, I understand, considered a form of job shadowing.

Lots of people want to work at this place, so if you don't like the arrangement, don't do it. There are ten more that want the spot.

Heck, I volunteered for 6 months at an org just to make connections / try to get in the door after undergrad with the hopes of scoring an interview. Was that illegal? Nope. What is 4 hours?
Well "job shadowing" (which I take to mean watching observing someone perform the job duties) is different from "volunteering" for 4 hours...

I also suppose an employer and employee can skew the semantics of an arrangement (if they're both fine with the arrangement) to make it appear as if someone's "job shadowing," versus hiring someone to work for free in the event a legal issue does arise. But I personally don't hold folks who circumvent the law in very high regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
It apparently is here. It was looked into after a Boston Globe story on it and it was found to be fine. It was, I understand, considered a form of job shadowing.

Lots of people want to work at this place, so if you don't like the arrangement, don't do it. There are ten more that want the spot.

Heck, I volunteered for 6 months at an org just to make connections / try to get in the door after undergrad with the hopes of scoring an interview. Was that illegal? Nope. What is 4 hours?

Well in your case that was ok because u were just out of school and probably was not on your own yet. But someone who has been out of school for 5 years or more could not afford to do that because they would be on their own. So the time to do volunteering like that would be right after college

Old 09-24-2014, 07:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Well in your case that was ok because u were just out of school and probably was not on your own yet. But someone who has been out of school for 5 years or more could not afford to do that because they would be on their own. So the time to do volunteering like that would be right after college

I was on my own. I moved to Madison WI after undergrad, volunteered all day at orgs I hoped to work for and worked at a medical answering service at night to pay rent, etc. I had no family there, and knew no one there when I moved there. I did it because it was needed to be done to get my career going.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:06 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
I was browsing job listings, and there was one that stated you must volunteer four hours before they consider interviewing you. Did you have to do this before? Did you get a chance to sit for an interview?
There is a sucker born every minute. That's a lot of free labor.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:

Making it optional is one thing. Making it mandatory as part of the application process is something else.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Making it optional is one thing. Making it mandatory as part of the application process is something else.

Well fine, it is optional. Apply and don't take the option, they will hire people that do take the option.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:37 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
The only issue I would see would be if it is labor intensive and someone gets hurt.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
What type of job is it and what is the pay?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:03 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
I don't see why they cant make a entrance test to weed out undesirables. Most of the tech interviews I've had required me to demonstrate capability.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:06 AM

435 posts, read 635,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
I was browsing job listings, and there was one that stated you must volunteer four hours before they consider interviewing you. Did you have to do this before? Did you get a chance to sit for an interview?
Unless this is a charity, this is probably illegal. They are asking you to work for free.

If they gets lots of job applicants doing four hours of free work for them, they won't need to hire anyone.

I've run across them scam many times. One time, I did two hours of free work, but instead of hiring me, they asked me to come back and do more free work.

Find something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search