Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
IDK though-in your friend's case he OFFERED to do the work, quite different than being mandated to. I know lots of people, myself included back in the day, that are quite good, and were hired without having to do what amounts to free work. Millions of good talented workers have been hired without having to do that, so if the hiring people were also good at what they do, and did their due diligence, they would hire the right candidate without having to "evaluate" them that way. I would think it a red flag if a company asked me to do free work. I've done "job shadowing" which is different, and perfectly OK.

I'm also not shocked that folks in management would be in favor of the free work concept
But it is illegal. Companies can't do it because it breaks the minimum wage laws. That is why the unpaid internships has a HUGE scrutiny test to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
SCAM! I know once again someone will say how great volunteering is (and it is if done for a good cause)but not this. They stated BEFORE an interview. This is essential to remember.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I've had personal experience with something similar, but the approaches used on me were much more subtle. In the situations I experienced:

1. I had an interview with a well-known communications company. Following it I was asked to do a day's worth of actual work there that would then be evaluated and if I "passed the audition" I would be moved forward to additional interviews. I was not a beginner. I had a portfolio of work samples and references that absolutely proved I was highly qualified to fill their position. (I said no thanks.)

2. I was ostensibly hired for a position I was, from my previous experience, quite over-qualified for. Prior to my start date, I got a call from the president of the small company, asking me to come in and do "a special assignment" for them that was entirely different from the job I was hired to do, but something I was still qualified for. But the work would be compensated only at the rate of the easier job. Not only did I decline to "help them out" with their "special assignment," I also withdrew from the other opportunity.

3. I was in the final stages of multiple interviews with a high-profile not-for-profit organization. We finalists were asked to make a presentation to the board of directors in which we were instructed to address what we saw as the organization's problems and explain what we would do to improve those issues. I put my all into a presentation, which judging from the reactions of the board members seemed very successful. Immediately after the presentation, I was told by the president, in front of the board, that my work was great but she was hiring another candidate because the company wouldn't have to move him as he lived nearby. She then asked me to leave my presentation with her because my ideas were so good they would no doubt want to implement some of them. I said I absolutely would NOT be leaving my presentation and I felt I had been invited under false pretenses if she was unwilling to make available the moving benefits she had told me were available. (Several of the board members later contacted me to apologize and I eventually learned the president was let go.)

Three different cases of companies expecting free (or highly discounted) work from a candidate for hire.
Not surprised about the first two (dealt with that)but the third takes the cake. Likely you weren't going to get the job to begin with (if there was a job)but looked for new ideas. Good for you for standing up for yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Morgan Stanley back in Summer 2009 was CHARGING parents $3,000 to be a summer intern. Now that is ballsy. Charging people to work at your firm.
I've seen this one lately. Not $3,000 but yes charging for interviews! I passed.

One other thing I've seen with volunteering is often it's not even the job you applied for. I once interviewed for a marketing position and they wanted me to volunteer. I thought it would doing marketing but nope, more like cleaning the department and passing out things at events which would require me to drive there. I passed.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:51 PM

23 posts, read 40,828 times
Its been said on this thread already, but there is a sucker born every minute, and thats what these companies are banking on.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:05 PM

235 posts, read 298,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianoah View Post
Its been said on this thread already, but there is a sucker born every minute, and thats what these companies are banking on.
Yep pretty much, that and the fact that people are desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search