Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,858,780 times

Advertisements

As a hiring manager, I don't make candidates sit and wait on me because that is extremely rude. If I am in a situation where I am going to be delayed I will send out someone to greet the candidate and let them know that I am going to be delayed and then arrange either for someone else to talk with the candidate first or delegate what I am doing.

There are very few things that happen where you absolutely can't break away to interview the candidate on a previously agreed upon time and day.

I once went to an interview some years ago with a major manufacturer for the railroad industry and had traveled out of state (7 hour drive) to do so. I arrived about 5 minutes early so signed in and let the receptionist know who I was and who I was interviewing with. She disappeared for a few moments and came back to let me know that the person would be right with me. I waited 45 minutes and politely approached her again. The receptionist again checked and said that the person I would be interviewing with was just wrapping up and would be with me in 10 minutes. Well I waited another 30 minutes and no interview. Finally after a total of 3 hours I got up and asked her if she would check with the hiring manager and ask him if he would be available at all that day. She came back and said that she couldn't get a hold of him. I politely thanked her and took off back home.

When they called back to re-schedule the interview, I declined.

If they were that unprofessional about the interview, who knows how bad they would have been to work for?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,860,538 times
If I wasn't told otherwise, fifteen minutes tops before I left.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:11 PM

33,740 posts, read 16,727,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Unless some explanation was forthcoming, I'd walk after about 20 minutes if I was treated that way. I don't need a job so badly that I'd allow myself to be treated like crap.
I wouldn't. I'd try to ace the interview, make it last as long as possible, and announce at the end, "Sorry I am no longer interested".

Waste THEIR time.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 02-25-2019 at 10:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 09:16 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,857,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I wouldn't. I'd try to ace the interview, make it last as long as possible, and announce at the end, "Sorry I am no longer interested".

Waster THEIR time.
Don't be so callous, Bob!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 PM

33,740 posts, read 16,727,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Don't be so callous, Bob!
Long ago, interviewer was so arrogant, I had no plans, so I asked well over 30 minutes of questions, left him thinking I was open to an offer, and sent a "Thanks, but no thanks" next morning.

When you waste someone's time who wasted yours (assuming they were not apologetic), you teach them a wonderful life lesson.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,594,332 times
I would ask at the 20min mark, if I am still sitting there at the 30-40ishmin mark (assuming there is not a good excuse for the interview being late), I would leave.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,126,433 times
Oh hellz no. At 15 mins I would check in again with the receptionist and move on. I've never needed a job THAT badly.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,181,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
If you're kept cooling your heels that long, isn't that a preview of how the company would treat you once you're employed by them ?

(In other words, a VERY red flag....?)
Yup.

How a company treats their job candidates is how they will treat their employees.

After 20 minutes without an explanation, I would have left.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,558,293 times
Many job seekers don't understand that YOU are supposed to be "interviewing" the employer as well. And that "interview" starts from the very beginning of your contact with them, even as the interview is being set up. You should be looking for red flags all through the process, from the job listing, to your first contact with the hiring manager, to your waiting room experience, etc.

What the previous poster said was absolutely correct. This is how you would have been treated on the job itself. 15-20 minutes waiting is bad enough, but with that sort of reply from the receptionist, I would have just made my apologies, cancelled the interview and left.

Always be willing to WALK. It will save you from the mistake of accepting a position in a bad workplace, which can take months or even years to unravel.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,953,340 times
I once waited 90 minutes, which I never should have done in retrospect. The interview was a travesty, the hiring manager obviously did not care that I was there, and I never heard back from them again on that job.

Years later I did wind up working for that same company. Didn't work out well in the long run, I should have learned.

I would not wait more than 20 minutes at this point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search