Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think it is great that they consider credit scores with people applying. If you can't take care of your own affairs how can you handle a job? If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Most of the bad credit is due to dumb things like cable TV, big screen TV's and buying a home too big or renting a too expensive home, etc. You do dumb things, you should pay the price. I have great credit because I make it that way. You should do the same.
Obviously you have read nothing on this thread. One of the more ignorant posts on this topic but you have company.

Bragging in this way shows lack of class. Let something bad happen to you like a job loss and/or a major heath issue that will wipe you out and see if you still feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
I think it is great that they consider credit scores with people applying. If you can't take care of your own affairs how can you handle a job? If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Most of the bad credit is due to dumb things like cable TV, big screen TV's and buying a home too big or renting a too expensive home, etc. You do dumb things, you should pay the price. I have great credit because I make it that way. You should do the same.
Um no, I already showed there was no link between bad credit and being a bad worker at least not in a study sense (anecdotes like Nlambert's are a different story (I tend to think they were just bad people.)) Here's the post again in case you missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Actually you can and the results may surprise you. Click this for an APA for a study by Laura Koppes Bryan of the University of West Florida and Jerry K. Palmer of Eastern Kentucky University. The used the hypothesis that many of us follow, that late payment (bad credit) is an accurate prediction of poor workers. The results of their study proved the hypothesis FALSE and that they were actually better workers and more likely to have a positive and even better first performance evaluation than those who pay on time.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Quote:
Surely you jest. There is way more that contributes to a bad credit score than "cable", especially in this economy.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:12 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Um no, I already showed there was no link between bad credit and being a bad worker at least not in a study sense (anecdotes like Nlambert's are a different story (I tend to think they were just bad people.)) Here's the post again in case you missed it.
So, this study, if you want to call it that, consisted of 178 personnel records from a single company. So it is ridiculously small and totally insufficient to arrive at any conclusion at all. Second, the authors seem hell bent on interpreting the data to arrive at their predetermined agenda. Third, the study itself cites 4 limiting conditions and cautions that basically render its conclusion debatable, if not meaningless.

This study, if you want to call it that, down not support your conclusion, or any conclusion.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:

The underlined is a case of the pot calling the kettle black with the bold.

I agree that we need more training in high school because it doesn't exist today. I'm sorry a quarter of budgetary home economics isn't enough. HOWEVER, boomers and gen Xers had this sort of class and guess what, many were a part of the foreclosed homes, defaulted mortgages, late credit card payments and bills. And you know why that was, partially because of planning but the same reason I have pointed to time and time again THE 2008 ECONOMIC MELT DOWN!!!!!!!

Why is that the case? As of the 2012 election we were roughly equal to Obama's job gains were three times were more lower wage (retail and fast food industry) than they were high wage jobs (source: CNN Fact Check: About those 4.5 million jobs ....) That and we saw more middle and higher wage jobs lost than lower wage jobs so the jobs created were bad compared to the jobs lost (source: CNN Fact Check: Job creation versus unemployment.)
This means: That with the 4.5 million jobs from mid 2009 up through September 2012, there was 4.5 million jobs created BUT 3 to 1 jobs were lower wage jobs compared to the middle and high wage jobs lost. And this doesn't include millennials entering the workforce and those who had to return to the workforce because their investments went south. Safe to say, planning was part of it but the majority was the restructuring of the economy of the 2008 economic melt down and if you can't see that, I have nothing more to say to you.

So then how did so many Americans manage to keep their financial houses in order when this melt down occurred? Because it was already in order BEFORE the meltdown.....

Just like every other unplanned crisis that can happen to a family or a person the meltdown happened. Those who had already planned for some unforeseen event were able to come out the other side ok. Sure it stung a little, and took a little more tightening of the belt, but many people just kept on spending. If the economy tanking immediately ruined your finances, they were unstable to begin with. The problem with taking a class on it is that common sense has to follow. In too many cases now, it does not.

The worst thing that happened to us out of all of this, was that I got layed off in 2009. I had savings, so I beat the streets every day was re-employed in less than a month. It was a crappy call center job, but I took it and kept the bills paid until something better came along. I slowly worked my way back up.

Guys this is not rocket science..... Spend less than you make, don't finance things that you don't have to, and stop worrying about what your neighbor is doing. If you do these things, credit checks for a job will be a non-issue. You will stand a better chance at getting the job than an applicant who has a horrible credit score.

At some point you HAVE to stop blaming your financial situation on outside circumstances and point the finger the other way. When you do, make a plan to fix it, and follow it.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,234 times
[quote=Nlambert;36912098]

So then how did so many Americans manage to keep their financial houses in order when this melt down occurred? Because it was already in order BEFORE the meltdown.....

Just like every other unplanned crisis that can happen to a family or a person the meltdown happened. Those who had already planned for some unforeseen event were able to come out the other side ok. Sure it stung a little, and took a little more tightening of the belt, but many people just kept on spending. If the economy tanking immediately ruined your finances, they were unstable to begin with. The problem with taking a class on it is that common sense has to follow. In too many cases now, it does not.

The worst thing that happened to us out of all of this, was that I got layed off in 2009. I had savings, so I beat the streets every day was re-employed in less than a month. It was a crappy call center job, but I took it and kept the bills paid until something better came along. I slowly worked my way back up.

You were extremely lucky. I have 16 years experience as a property manager and have been unemployed for almost two years. I have had many interviews and nothing. I have applied for "crappy" jobs as well. Not one response. My skills clearly translate to other fields and yet these hr clowns choose ignorant assumption (that I will jump back to my profession) and laziness over actually doing their jobs and interviewing applicants. So just because you had it easy don't you dare look down your nose at others whom have had it much, much, worse than you.

BTW you cannot plan for an unforseen event. This is akin to expecting the unexpected.

Last edited by jma501; 10-17-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

Guys this is not rocket science..... Spend less than you make, don't finance things that you don't have to, and stop worrying about what your neighbor is doing. If you do these things, credit checks for a job will be a non-issue. You will stand a better chance at getting the job than an applicant who has a horrible credit score.

At some point you HAVE to stop blaming your financial situation on outside circumstances and point the finger the other way. When you do, make a plan to fix it, and follow it.
You are speculating and assuming way too much.

I have the opinion that it's a gross exaggeration to assume "many just kept on spending" as to say they didn't care that a financial crises was happening. Some, probably. "Many," I highly doubt it.

In many cases a savings account wasn't enough to pull them through. But regardless, I feel it is wrong to make people suffer by denying one a job due to unexpected misfortune as to say 'well too bad you should have planned for this' type attitude that many have.

Making a "plan to fix it" has to include employment.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post

You were extremely lucky. I have 16 years experience as a property manager and have been unemployed for almost two years. I have had many interviews and nothing. I have applied for "crappy" jobs as well. Not one response. My skills clearly translate to other fields and yet these hr clowns choose ignorant assumption (that I will jump back to my profession) and laziness over actually doing their jobs and interviewing applicants. So just because you had it easy don't you dare look down your nose at others whom have had it much, much, worse than you.

BTW you cannot plan for an unforseen event. This is akin to expecting the unexpected.

1. I was not any more lucky than thousands of other people who did the same thing. If (and I'm making up numbers) 50% of the population went bankrupt, 50% did not. Tell me WHY they didn't..... I preplanned anticipating that something horrible could happen because I watched my dad go through this as a kid. It was tough on us and I have always been afraid of having to go through that nightmare again.

I've never looked down my nose. If you had read my previous posts you would clearly see that.

You absolutely CAN and SHOULD plan for unforeseen events. You should always prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. It's foolish not to.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You are speculating and assuming way too much.

I have the opinion that it's a gross exaggeration to assume "many just kept on spending" as to say they didn't care that a financial crises was happening. Some, probably. "Many," I highly doubt it.

In many cases a savings account wasn't enough to pull them through. But regardless, I feel it is wrong to make people suffer by denying one a job due to unexpected misfortune as to say 'well too bad you should have planned for this' type attitude that many have.

Making a "plan to fix it" has to include employment.

I'm going off of life experience. Your experience differs than mine,so our mindsets are different. Growing up in a household where I watched my single father have everything taken away from him in a bankruptcy changed how I think. When there are nights that you don't have food on the table and you watch your parent not eat so that you can, it changes you. I am always planning for tomorrow. Savings may not always be enough. I never said it was. HOWEVER, you have to do something other than ignore the fact that something could happen tomorrow. You have to prepare in every possible way.

If you fail to plan, and fail to manage your finances properly (which includes failing to live well within your means, and over extending on credit that you can no longer pay) why should a company completely ignore this and give you a $75k+ job in good faith that you can manage your tasks at that job successfully?

With that being said, I believe 100% that EVERY person can change, and can work their way back up into having a fulfilling and successful career and life. As I said before you have to prove yourself somehow. We all pay for the mistakes we make one way or another. That doesn't mean someone can't overcome them. But you may have to work harder than you want to in order to get back on top.

The only unexpected misfortune would be a sickness.

When someone takes out a loan to buy a car, or takes out a mortgage, they should look very closely at their budget to make sure they are able to afford it and still have money left over to keep increasing their savings. They should then look at some different scenarios and try to figure out how they could keep paying the mortgage, car payments, etc... if they lost a job, etc...

It's cumbersome, but in my opinion it's necessary.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 AM

403 posts, read 557,326 times
While I don't agree with the policy of a company checking a credit score to offer a person a job, a bad credit score can mean that the person makes bad decisions. If you're applying to be a cop or some government job, I can kind of understand the reasoning behind it, but I still don't agree with it. People in those positions shouldn't have huge delinquencies or judgments against them for failure to pay and if they do, they should at least have a plan in place to resolve the debt.

My issue is that companies that have no reason to check your credit score are the ones doing it most of the time. For instance, there is a company here in town that make potato chips and other snack foods, but mostly potato chips. The check your credit and I've heard of people with a 650 credit score being turned down because of a bad credit score. They make potato chips. Why do you need a credit score of 700 to make potato chips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search