Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times

Advertisements

From experience, no, and never heard of such thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Where I live, if you have a family you would need 2 people to earn an above average income just to meet basic living expenses....and save nothing.
And where I live, you can live on one income if you choose, and save, and have a house to boot.

If your job choice permits.... move.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:29 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And where I live, you can live on one income if you choose, and save, and have a house to boot.

If your job choice permits.... move.
Moving might be a realistic choice for certain people that are single. Married and/or have a family, not so much. Moving might mean divorce.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Married people move all the time without divorcing.
Seriously....
And families move all the time too. Many times into better school districts.

As circumstances change, your address can change. And why not provide a better life for your family?

Saying that only "certain people that are single" can realistically relocate is ludicrous!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Depends on the position.

I know of a guy that works in financial sector. They checked his credit score and he was denied employment.

Maybe they felt as if he would not be able to be trusted around money.

Doesn't make sense to me. Just another "thing" that corporate america can use to slap hard working people in the face with.
Pretty much.

Read here for information on "data broker dossiers" ... people's information data broker companies are collecting and selling ... without our permission or knowledge. Wouldn't surprise me if companies were looking at those in addition to credit scores:

https://www.privacyrights.org/

Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Married people move all the time without divorcing.
Seriously....
And families move all the time too. Many times into better school districts.

As circumstances change, your address can change. And why not provide a better life for your family?

Saying that only "certain people that are single" can realistically relocate is ludicrous!
OK it is often easier for a single person to move. Remember, one parent might have to move for work (promotion, new assignment, etc.) that isn't short term so that requires the other parent who actually has a job but it may not exist elsewhere to lose it and need to look for work when the move is finished. My brother had this with a retail store that he previously worked for when we moved to Arizona for my mother's job. He was promised a job with the nearest store but his job wasn't kept. This don't mean it always happens but it could. I will say with moves, it is easier to keep in contact with old friends and family but the jobs for both parents may not exist. A single person doesn't have the ties the parents do which I think was the point.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Saving 15-20% of income is LOL for a high percentage of people in America. Totally impossible, especially living in a place where it's a crime to not do business with private insurance companies. Where I live, if you have a family you would need 2 people to earn an above average income just to meet basic living expenses....and save nothing. That's with almost zero luxuries, btw.
It's not impossible. In fact, it's not even difficult if you make good choices. Let's face it, if the IRS hit you with a 20% garnish, you would figure out how to stay alive, and you would adjust quite easily after reorganizing your expectations. So, just make believe the 20% does not exist and you have to live on whatever is left. It would get done.

It takes planning and not thinking of yourself as a victim. It also takes kicking azz at your job and taking every opportunity to move up and make more money. Or taking a second or third job. But it can be done, and it needs to be done. Reality mandates it. The problem for most people is treating reality as if it were an option, instead of an irreducible metaphysical primary.

You have to take care of yourself and you have to budget for emergencies and adversities in a big way. Because life can deal you body blows at any time, and you have no right to victimize others through your own shortsightedness.

And by the way, it's fun too. I highly recommend it. Just do it for 6 months without compromise or excuse. Sock 20% of your paycheck away and just make believe you don't have it and can't have it. It doesn't exist. The IRS took it. Alimony took it. ISIS took it. Eat rice and spam and stroganoff. Then see where you are in 6 months, and then a year. Your power to deal with existence on your own terms will shock you and awe you.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Saving 15-20% of income is LOL for a high percentage of people in America. Totally impossible, especially living in a place where it's a crime to not do business with private insurance companies. Where I live, if you have a family you would need 2 people to earn an above average income just to meet basic living expenses....and save nothing. That's with almost zero luxuries, btw.

I been saving about 12% of my income even though 20% would be good but each month is different and can have some unexpected situations. But the ultimate goal is the always save SOMETHING each month whether it's 15% or 5%

Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It's not impossible. In fact, it's not even difficult if you make good choices. Let's face it, if the IRS hit you with a 20% garnish, you would figure out how to stay alive, and you would adjust quite easily after reorganizing your expectations. So, just make believe the 20% does not exist and you have to live on whatever is left. It would get done.

Actually, I used to work in garnishment, so I know you are wrong about this. Most people do NOT find a way to get it done, they quit the job.

Quote:
It takes planning and not thinking of yourself as a victim. It also takes
kicking azz at your job and taking every opportunity to move up and make more
money. Or taking a second or third job. But it can be done, and it needs to be
done. Reality mandates it. The problem for most people is treating reality as if
it were an option, instead of an irreducible metaphysical primary.
Reality is that if you don't pay your car insurance, in most states they will revoke your registration, impound your car, and try to have you thrown in jail.
Reality is that if you don't pay your rent or mortgage, you won't have a place to live.
Reality is that if you don't pay to have your car repaired, you won't be able to get back and forth to work.
Reality is that if you don't buy food, if you have kids they will be taken away from you. Even if you don't, eventually you will starve.
Reality is that getting a 2nd job will often mess up your first job, so it isn't possible.
Reality is that even getting a 2nd job often won't produce enough income to meet basic expenses, never mind save 20%.
Reality is that many people work their azzez off and never get a promotion or raise. In recent years, many even lose money over time.
Reality is that expenses are rising even as wages are falling.

Quote:

You have to take care of yourself and you have to budget for emergencies and
adversities in a big way. Because life can deal you body blows at any
time, and you have no right to victimize others through your own
shortsightedness.
I think the banks, governments, limited liabilities, and big corporations are the ones that have to answer for victimizing others. Not hardworking people that have seen their wages collapse even as their expenses explode.

Quote:
And by the way, it's fun too. I highly recommend it. Just do it for 6 months
without compromise or excuse. Sock 20% of your paycheck away and just make
believe you don't have it and can't have it. It doesn't exist. The IRS took it.
Alimony took it. ISIS took it. Eat rice and spam and stroganoff. Then see where
you are in 6 months, and then a year. Your power to deal with existence on your
own terms will shock you and awe you
It's not possible for me right now, but thank you. I would LOVE to even be able to meet my basic living expenses, never mind save money.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Default Quoted text in spoilers

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

It takes planning and not thinking of yourself as a victim. It also takes kicking azz at your job and taking every opportunity to move up and make more money. Or taking a second or third job. But it can be done, and it needs to be done. Reality mandates it. The problem for most people is treating reality as if it were an option, instead of an irreducible metaphysical primary.

You have to take care of yourself and you have to budget for emergencies and adversities in a big way. Because life can deal you body blows at any time, and you have no right to victimize others through your own shortsightedness.

And by the way, it's fun too. I highly recommend it. Just do it for 6 months without compromise or excuse. Sock 20% of your paycheck away and just make believe you don't have it and can't have it. It doesn't exist. The IRS took it. Alimony took it. ISIS took it. Eat rice and spam and stroganoff. Then see where you are in 6 months, and then a year. Your power to deal with existence on your own terms will shock you and awe you.

Did you even see the breakdowns that myself and mdlee3_46041 did? It's not nessicarily is impossible BUT with the basic needs that one has to pay for each month (without including paying off student loan debt) is almost impossible. Sure your food budget can be slashed to ramen noodles but is that really healthy for six months and then a year? You might end up having health issues later on due to the sodium you take in. Just sayin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search