Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Job Hunting? Would you take a free class on job hunting at the library?
NO, because I already know how to look for a job 6 18.75%
NO, even though I don't know everything I assume it will be poor 4 12.50%
YES, what an opportunity! 20 62.50%
I don't know. 2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM

131 posts, read 182,561 times

Advertisements

The local library is offering a four hour class on job hunting skills. FREE.

(Resume development, tips on finding job openings, interview skills, and an inside view of the hiring process.)

They say in the advertisement that the class is designed for professionals and assumes a general knowledge of job hunting skills. They are limiting enrollment to twenty people. The person who is doing this class teaches job hunting classes professionally but agreed to do this seminar for free as a community service.

I am trying to get some of my jobless friends to sign up with me but so far no luck. They say why take a class when all the information is available online and in books. Is their argument against the class logical?
(I say it will be beneficial because we can compare notes and I can ask individual questions, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:13 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
The local library is offering a four hour class on job hunting skills. FREE.

(Resume development, tips on finding job openings, interview skills, and an inside view of the hiring process.)

They say in the advertisement that the class is designed for professionals and assumes a general knowledge of job hunting skills. They are limiting enrollment to twenty people. The person who is doing this class teaches job hunting classes professionally but agreed to do this seminar for free as a community service.

I am trying to get some of my jobless friends to sign up with me but so far no luck. They say why take a class when all the information is available online and in books. Is their argument against the class logical?
(I say it will be beneficial because we can compare notes and I can ask individual questions, etc.)
If you are not willing to go by yourself then you are not wanting a job.

In four hours you are bound to learn something.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,730,365 times
Four hours is really long. Depending in my situation I would go, but prepared to leave of it's a waste.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM

148 posts, read 523,095 times
I would probably go... But after 30 mins and it still feels like informational, I am walking out. Now I have took a free two hour course on job search at an local community college, I learned a few things. It also could be useful for networking.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:57 PM

131 posts, read 182,561 times
Interesting replies so far. So you assume a class put on by the library would be a waste of time, even though they are devoting four hours to it? I would suspect that if the person was a professional and it was done at the library he/she would be checked out ahead of time.

Also, who knows everything that is important about the job hunting game today and has got it all figured out? Very few I suspect, because a friend of mine sees lots and lots of resumes and interviews tons of people and she says most people are just terrible, based on poorly written resumes and interview skills.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:02 PM

No, I don't feel it is a waste of my time. Many of these informational classes are reiterating everything I have heard or researched in my own. It would need to be engaging and have some new information.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting replies so far. So you assume a class put on by the library would be a waste of time, even though they are devoting four hours to it? I would suspect that if the person was a professional and it was done at the library he/she would be checked out ahead of time.

Also, who knows everything that is important about the job hunting game today and has got it all figured out? Very few I suspect, because a friend of mine sees lots and lots of resumes and interviews tons of people and she says most people are just terrible, based on poorly written resumes and interview skills.
That isn't new information. I realize if I am not getting interviews, it's time to spruce up my resume. That is a. Enter workshop IMO than how to find a job.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,624 times
Quote:

Why are you really hear ?

Do you need someone to take you their, or talk you into it ?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,263 times
I have-it helped!

Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,680 times
I would go. If you feel like you're not getting anything out of it you can always leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search