Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 02:01 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times

Advertisements

A friend just told me that she had an interview earlier this week that left her feeling less than enthusiastic about the job/company. She learned much more about the job during the interview and it did not seem as appealing. She wanted to end the interview, but finished it like the professional that she is. She left knowing that it was not a place she wanted to work at.

This reminds me of two incidents I had in the past. When I was living in Maryland years ago, I went on a job interview and as I sat in the noisy lobby, I was informed by the receptionist that the person who will be interviewing me just came through the door and she should get me soon. Well, after almost a half hour of just sitting there, 30 minutes past the interview time slot. I excused myself to the receptionist and left the building. I was no longer interested in the administrative position. If that's how they treat interviewees, I could only imagine how they treat employees.

The second time was when I went to an actual interview at a local company, and upon sitting down to have the interview, the lady business owner pretty much made it clear that I was not someone she wanted working at her establishment. the way she looked at me, kept talking to other employees during the interview, being sarcastic and cold, and not looking at me in the eyes. I ended the interview by just glaring at her and I got up and left. I have never been so uncomfortable and felt so undesired in applying for a job. It was so bad that I refuse to be a patron at other franchisees of this company. Thankfully, I've never had to experience that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:11 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"Have you ever walked out of an interview that was going badly?"

Nope.
Would not even entertain the idea.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
I have stopped an interviewer in mid-sentence before and told them "I don't think this job is a good fit. I don't want to waste any more of your time".

They were gracious about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-17-2014, 02:20 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have stopped an interviewer in mid-sentence before and told them "I don't think this job is a good fit. I don't want to waste any more of your time".
THIS is the way to end an interview politely. You never want to burn bridges by being rude (getting up and walking out), because you don't know who these people know.

I've had to use this before: "I'm sorry, I don't think that this job is a good fit for me. I very much appreciate your time and wish you luck in finding the right match for the position."

Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

They were gracious about it.

20yrsinBranson
I have done this. Interviewed for a position that the Ad billed as an office assistant. What it actually entailed was cold calling for an insurance company from 3-9pm. No Thanks. I thanked the interviewer for his time but told him that I was not interested in the position.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Never walked out but I did once get a 2nd interview call and coldly told them "No" and hung up after they offered me a position. The reason being is that I researched this company and they had a ton of reviews from people all over the web saying the company was a scam and an illegitimate business.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:06 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
I walked out of one interview in my life. It was with the managing partner of a small CPA firm. From the moment he walked into the conference room where I was waiting (he was 45 minutes late), he did nothing but insult me. I put up with it for about 20 minutes and then got up and left. He just sat there with a big smirk on his face. I don't regret it as it hasn't kept me from getting a job elsewhere.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
I have never walked out of an interview but I have walked people out of an interview before when I was the interviewer because it was clear that the candidate was not a good fit.

I was business partners with a guy once who was the CEO and was really cheap. He put an ad out for a sales job that was 100% commission only. One guy showed up wearing a suit saying that he was here to meet the CEO to talk about that job. CEO wasn't around and didn't answer my call when I called him. I asked the suit guy if he had an appointment and he claimed that he did.

I then spent a few minutes talking to him to both kill time and tell him more about the position since the CEO wasn't there, got him a water bottle, etc. and when I got to the part saying that the job is paid by commission only, he got mad and said "the job description didn't say that." I asked him if he had a copy of the job description and he said no. I showed him the job description on the computer on the websites it was posted to.

He then got up and left.

CEO never did show up that day so I guess it was good that suit guy didn't hang out waiting.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I've done it once. I wouldn't have worked there anyway, so I just thanked the interviewer for his time, explained that I was not interested in the position and did not want to waste more of his time and walked out.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Never did. Now I saw someone do it once before. Apparently she got into a verbal argument an stormed off. Said something like "This will not prevent me from getting this job" actually it did since she didn't get it. I cannot fathom how anyone would get into a verbal argument in an interview.

I have seen something like what RVD mentioned. Some insurance place wanted me for an interview so I humored the idea. I saw this guy trying to ask a receptionist if he could get the random pool callers. his office..well he was trading on etrade right before and was interrupted twice by phone calls and then I saw some middle aged guy saying he was so fing upset about why his work computer won't sync with his ipod. Yeah not my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search