Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:27 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is the purpose of your post, as it sounds like you have already decided how you are going to "handle" it"?
I'm curious as to what other people would say in this situation. It never occurred to me that other people would say nothing. That's just foolish imo. We have nothing to lose by talking to him about it, why would we not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Does anyone pick up the phone anymore? How about you have a conversation?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
You didn't receive a job offer with an official letter. That is the point everyone is trying to tell you. It was a text message via a friend you received the offer.

You should have said great, can I have your cousin's information to get a firm offer letter? I would like to know the pay (not mentioned I am sure in the text), when I need to start. Not to mention before I shell out $XXX dollars for training, I want to know I have a job!".

Instead you got excited with a potential offer, took the training and now going to try and get the job by confronting the guy? Would you do this if you didn't know him? I doubt it.

Frankly I would never be in this situation. You handled it poorly and have no one to blame but yourself. So instead you are confronting the guy. smh

Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Yeah, a phone call would be a good start. Please don't make him uncomfortable at a family event, that is a great way not to get a job. Maybe you could say something like, "whenever you have some time, I'd love to talk about working at your company. Maybe tomorrow or Monday?" Then try to get a definite time and place from him...like a sales person would do. I would also butter him up about starting a business and being successful, or read something about his industry and say, "hey, I was reading about XYZ, is that going to affect your business?" Be smart.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You didn't receive a job offer with an official letter. That is the point everyone is trying to tell you. It was a text message via a friend you received the offer.

You should have said great, can I have your cousin's information to get a firm offer letter? I would like to know the pay (not mentioned I am sure in the text), when I need to start. Not to mention before I shell out $XXX dollars for training, I want to know I have a job!".
I did say this. Almost verbatim.

Quote:
Instead you got excited with a potential offer, took the training and now going
to try and get the job by confronting the guy? Would you do this if you didn't
know him? I doubt it.
I haven't actually registered for the training yet, because I was supposed to meet up with the guy and get the offer letter first. But the guy blew us off.

Quote:
Frankly I would never be in this situation. You handled it poorly and have no
one to blame but yourself. So instead you are confronting the guy. smh
I handled it exactly as you suggested. I didn't handle it poorly. Drop the self righteous nonsense.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, a phone call would be a good start. Please don't make him uncomfortable at a family event, that is a great way not to get a job. Maybe you could say something like, "whenever you have some time, I'd love to talk about working at your company. Maybe tomorrow or Monday?" Then try to get a definite time and place from him...like a sales person would do. I would also butter him up about starting a business and being successful, or read something about his industry and say, "hey, I was reading about XYZ, is that going to affect your business?" Be smart.
I like this suggestion. I may do this.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 AM

399 posts, read 568,402 times
IMO, you never received an offer. Never in my LIFE have I heard of anyone saying "tell him he got the job." Things like that I kind of expect to have happen first party. What should you do? Get off of citydata and start looking for a job because I don't really care how close of a relationship we have now, a conversation where you decide to confront me about positions in my company would ruin it all on its own.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Does anyone pick up the phone anymore? How about you have a conversation?
I have his number. I'm considering calling him. He knows my name so it wouldn't come as a shock to him to get that call, I'd assume.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I'm curious as to what other people would say in this situation. It never occurred to me that other people would say nothing. That's just foolish imo. We have nothing to lose by talking to him about it, why would we not?
Why? You've already received responses from some of the best posters here.

Everyone knows there is no official offer until you get it in writing, and even then, it's contingent on things and can be rescinded.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
IMO, you never received an offer. Never in my LIFE have I heard of anyone saying "tell him he got the job." Things like that I kind of expect to have happen first party. What should you do? Get off of citydata and start looking for a job because I don't really care how close of a relationship we have now, a conversation where you decide to confront me about positions in my company would ruin it all on its own.
Well, that's what he said- exactly. He said "tell your friend he's got the job." I saw the text myself. I'm not sure why you would have a problem in that situation with the person you offered the job asking you what is up....
call it a confrontation if you will, but I certainly feel like I have a right to know what's going on.

Just so you know, the guy does know of me even though I've never met him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search