Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:37 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, it's mainly that there is absolutely ZERO room for error. In interviews, if you get lost for words for even 2 seconds, or if you even blink the wrong way, you're doomed. You have to come across as an over achieving genius, ultra charismatic, absolutely perfect in every nuanced way...you basically have to be God. lol

Interviews are all about them searching for ANY reason to eliminate the candidate.

And if rejected, you could end up on the external HR blacklist...yeah, that's actually a thing nowadays.
That's just your fear talking there. I've been to plenty of interviews that were far less than perfect and I still got a job offer. This isn't a position for sainthood, it's a job in a company. They aren't going to bring you in unless they felt there should be a match. They only do elimination from resumes and sometimes from phone interviews if it isn't a match. You got it in your mind that interviews are some kind of sadistic process set-up merely to humiliate you. I got news for you, they are trying to run an office and find the right person for the role, that's all that is going on there.

HR blacklist? BS. Next you will be telling us they have a trapdoor with a secret button they push that leads to a pit of hungry alligators. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:40 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
This is ridiculous. I spent 10 years in HR. Every word of this is pure dog poo. Sorry, but if you've missed out on jobs, ohhwanderlust, you made BIG mistakes not tiny little ones.
They showed tests before and after on a driving course even after one drink, it impairs judgement and reflexes.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:31 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I would not.

I did have a "happy hour" informal recruiting interview last year, with a hiring VP and he invited me to have a drink at the bar we were at. Of course, I did.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
I used to work in HR and would NEVER hire anyone who came to an interview that smelled of alcohol. I can smell less than one drink on a person. If you can't handle an interview, how can you handle working for the company? Our interview would be VERY short if I smelled alcohol. As soon as you walk out the door, your resume would be trashed.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ummm, what?
Is this something you made up to tell yourself why you didn't get a job.
As a HM, I'm not looking for substance, not perfection. And there's no "HR blacklist", fer chrissakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
This is ridiculous. I spent 10 years in HR. Every word of this is pure dog poo. Sorry, but if you've missed out on jobs, ohhwanderlust, you made BIG mistakes not tiny little ones.
I've actually been pretty lucky so far in that I've almost always gotten a job offer, but I had always applied for things with smaller/creative businesses.

The time I didn't was when I applied for a position in a corporation. Let's just say it felt a lot more like an interrogation than a job interview. Like I should've shown up wearing orange rather than in a suit lol. Sooo...of course I choked and fumbled for words like a moron.

I don't want this to happen with this one on Tuesday.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
That's just your fear talking there. I've been to plenty of interviews that were far less than perfect and I still got a job offer. This isn't a position for sainthood, it's a job in a company. They aren't going to bring you in unless they felt there should be a match. They only do elimination from resumes and sometimes from phone interviews if it isn't a match. You got it in your mind that interviews are some kind of sadistic process set-up merely to humiliate you. I got news for you, they are trying to run an office and find the right person for the role, that's all that is going on there.

HR blacklist? BS. Next you will be telling us they have a trapdoor with a secret button they push that leads to a pit of hungry alligators. :-)
About the HR blacklist:

Getting Your Name Off a Hiring Blacklist - WSJ

Hopefully it's not too common in HR networks, but it is out there.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not going to chance it if alcohol is that easily detectable.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 11-02-2014 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
You need some Hennigans.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn6x1Naj0oA

Old 11-02-2014, 11:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:

Whenever I have a drink though, I'm much more fluid, natural and confident.
With all due respect, every alcoholic I've known (and there have been many over many years) has said exactly the same thing - and they're all mistaken. It's perfectly normal to be anxious and nervous before an interview.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Well, it's mainly that there is absolutely ZERO room for error. In interviews, if you get lost for words for even 2 seconds, or if you even blink the wrong way, you're doomed. You have to come across as an over achieving genius, ultra charismatic, absolutely perfect in every nuanced way...you basically have to be God. lol

Interviews are all about them searching for ANY reason to eliminate the candidate.

And if rejected, you could end up on the external HR blacklist...yeah, that's actually a thing nowadays.
We're you drinking when you wrote this?

Old 11-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
We're you drinking when you wrote this?
No. But if they're interviewing 20 candidates and they received hundreds of applications from their job posting, doesn't it make sense that they have their pick of the litter? Being absolutely flooded with bright, talented, experienced professionals, they have to find ways to weed out as many people as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search