Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,736,387 times

Advertisements

I have hired hundreds of people in my corporate days. Believe me, when someone takes a drink even Vodka, I would know it. And the one that took a drink before the interview, never, that is never gets the job.

At an interview, be yourself. The important thing is, no matter what the question answer it. Some questions may be to see if you get too nervous or upset to be able to come up with an answer. They are to test your ability to think on your feet and handle yourself under pressure. No matter how off the wall, answer to the best of your ability. They will have nothing to do with the job, and will be questions you can not have practiced. They are test questions, to see how you react under a little pressure. If you don't answer them, no job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 05:26 PM

29,724 posts, read 24,819,107 times
What's the difference between a shot of vodka, or taking Valium or Xanax, which many people do for the same purpose the op is suggesting? From a social standpoint, quite a bit. From a medical or pharmacological one, very little.

I'm not weighing in on how I feel about the matter. I was prescribed ADHD medication in the past, which is nothing more than a hard drug in my opinion. Who am I to judge?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,799,084 times
When you make a list of the 100 worst ideas you have ever had, make sure this one about taking a drink before an interview is near the top of that list ! If you need a drink to calm down for something as routine as a job interview, you are looking for excuses to imbibe. Pretty soon it will be, "I had a bad day" or, "I need to unwind", etc. Very slippery slope.

Go into the interview with the attitude that you are exactly what that company needs, and do it sober. It will work out so much better for you in the end.

Don

Old 11-02-2014, 06:54 PM

25,845 posts, read 22,000,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Absolutely no! I can smell of a person has had one drink. I can't tell you how many times I have met up with a friend and to me they reek after one drink.
My thoughts exactly. What about taking a long walk instead? Seriously, any possible hint that you were drinking before the interview will more likely than not end any chance of getting the job and worse yet, they may mention it to yet another business that may interview you next. Find another solution that doesn't involve chemical enhancement.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,773,186 times
OP, if you're inexperienced with and nervous about the interview, then doing mock interviews can help...I know you're doing them.

But a word of caution to not go overboard with rehearsed answers or a rehearsed presence. Be yourself and do what you can (within reason) to be at ease and comfortable. Don't answer questions, have a conversation.

Conragts on getting to the interview stage and best of luck.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,044,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
But a word of caution to not go overboard with rehearsed answers or a rehearsed presence.
x100. Nothing like a chilling fake rehearsed answer to a question, like "how would YOU handle this situation "

Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,254,616 times
Drink some peppermint schnapps and ask ur hubby if it smells like mouthwash. Then try cinnamon.

If he doesn't buy it, take a benzo from a friend. I'm sure someone you know has a prescription.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:36 AM

836 posts, read 1,030,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm interviewing for a job on Tuesday, and I'm super nervous. I don't think I interview well at all, and it's a corporate startup job rather than the laidback creative startup I work with now.

I'm preparing my ass off, and am having hubby conduct mock interviews with me, but I'm worried all my efforts will go right out the window during the real interview, because I tend to freeze up and stumble over my words, even if I've rehearsed.

Whenever I have a drink though, I'm much more fluid, natural and confident. I don't mean getting fratboy hammered either. Just ONE glass of red wine or a shot of vodka. That amount would take the edge off, but I'd still seem perfectly sober -- just a less stiff, forced demeanor that I tend to get when nervous.

Has anyone else done/considered this? Is it a completely terrible idea? I could brush my teeth so they don't smell the alcohol on my breath, lol.
I think this is where the error lies. You practice/rehearse with your husband to the point of it becoming memorization. When the reality is, the interviewer might not ask even 1 of the same questions as you are practicing. If they do ask you questions, you are going to be too worried remembering what the right answer is and therefore stumbling.

I would suggest practicing on the fly. Don't have a Q&A session, see if your husband can make it more conversational. You should be able to discuss the 3 basics off hand without stumbling and needing a drink:
1) Why do you want to work here (how can we help you)?
2) Why should we hire you (how can you help us)?
3) What do you know about our company?

I've found that presentations I needed note cards for were always the worse ones. I'd be too focused on what was on the card, then actually making it a great presentation and often stumbled on my words.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:41 AM

836 posts, read 1,030,650 times
p.s. some people have a strong smell for alcohol in general, even if you've only had 1 drink.

My Mom, for example, would get so bent out of shape when my sister (who was a teenager at the time) would wear Victoria Secret's 'Strawberry Champagne' lotion and would accuse her of drinking. I thought it smelled good lol According to the reviews though on makeupalley website, other people felt the alcohol smell was too overpowering. Just an FYI, gum, breathmint, perfume, etc. may mask the odor however, some people might have a stronger sense of smell than others.

Just be confident, make it a conversation, not 1-way sided grilling session. Good luck on your interview!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,904,113 times
1. You could do it.
2. You can also not smell it if you take the right precautions.
3. I probably wouldn't do it, but I am not you. I see no problem in doing whatever it takes to get hired in that way. It isn't like you are lying on your resume, you are taking the edge off. No big deal.

Alcohol gets a really bad rap these days due to MADD and their agenda into making everyone not drink a drop. There was a time workers would have a drink at lunch and go back to work. Some probably were more productive. Do what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search