Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:30 PM

271 posts, read 427,046 times

Advertisements

I've had the same job for a long time and haven't had a need to interview. recently i've gone on a couple of interviews and it seems to me things just feel very different than 9 years ago. everything seems more casual (even the clothes i wear is more casual due to advice i've received). a lot of questions seemed geared toward schedule/availability. i can't quite put my finger on it but things just seem different. anyone know what i'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
What field are you in? I haven't noticed any difference. If anything I get more panel interviews and hoops to jump through!

Old 11-01-2014, 11:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What field are you in? I haven't noticed any difference. If anything I get more panel interviews and hoops to jump through!
Same....

If anything, interviews seem more like interrogations designed to trip you up, getting your resume torn to pieces (figuratively), and much less possible to rehearse for.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:37 AM

131 posts, read 182,704 times
Interviews today are more orientated towards what you have accomplished than the simple tasks you have been responsible for in previous jobs.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:56 AM

249 posts, read 331,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Interviews today are more orientated towards what you have accomplished than the simple tasks you have been responsible for in previous jobs.
How ironic you mention this because I'm revamping my resume and have been doing some research online. I was surprised to come across articles stating to include your "accomplishments" rather than a "list of tasks". This has me completely stumped ... and a tad frustrated. So now I'm researching this.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times
Fortunately for me, all the jobs related to the career field I have been working on off-and-on for the past five years have been very easy. Got them all because the people already knew me or I had someone pulling for me on the inside.

On the other hand, the jobs that I have gotten outside of that field have had the most irritating interviews. And scheduling has often been a major determining factor. The interviews often have all of those inane questions about "What would you do" or "What is your biggest weakest?" Just silly **** that bull****ters excel at and honest people get shafted on. You basically have to lie your ass off to get a job these days because of the insanity they expect from applicants.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:30 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKathrine View Post
How ironic you mention this because I'm revamping my resume and have been doing some research online. I was surprised to come across articles stating to include your "accomplishments" rather than a "list of tasks". This has me completely stumped ... and a tad frustrated. So now I'm researching this.
What careers are you applying for and have you had experience in them? Maybe we could figure out something for you to say.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
What careers are you applying for
My goal is to end up in the Non-Profit sector. But for the time being, this gal just needs a job! I'm considering going to temp agencies. If that works out, I can keep getting temp jobs until I eventually land a non-profit job ... well that is one plan.

Quote:
and have you had experience in them?
No. I am making a total career change and finally going after what I've always wanted to do. What I did has literally nothing to do w/ what I want to do. Frightening! But hey, this is what they call a "second chance" in life. I gotta go for it!

Quote:
Maybe we could figure out something for you to say.
That is the tricky part! I've got numerous windows open and a variety of things I am reading. It's extremely kind of you to offer, but I'm not sure if it's possible to help me.

Came back to edit & add . . .

I plan to attend a job fair (Nov 19th) the week after I arrive in Vegas. I figure it can't hurt to check it out. It will be a good experience for me, especially being that I've never attended one before.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
The interviews often have all of those inane questions about "What would you do" or "What is your biggest weakest?"
I always wondered if those idiotic questions were just urban legend. You answered my question.

Very grateful for your post!

Old 11-02-2014, 05:24 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKathrine View Post
I always wondered if those idiotic questions were just urban legend. You answered my question.

Very grateful for your post!
I used to ask the "biggest weakness" questions in interviews just to get ideas for my own answers!

It's a total BS question and no one tells the truth.

I would LOVE to response like, " sometimes I can be honest to a fault [TRUE], like I think this question is a total waste of our time but it might not be in my best interest to say so."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search