Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,208,811 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but what did you expect when you post your resume on job sites? Who do you think reads those sites and contacts you? Companies LOL Sorry but you sound incredibly naive. Most recruiters apply the same tactics whether they are from India or Texas. The American recruiter is just as clueless and uses the same resume spamming techniques that the ones from India use.

And for the rest of the job seekers on this thread, take yourself off those job sites. Instead, be your own recruiter. It's not that hard. Anyone with a phone and web access can do what any recruiter does. You just have to be a little resourceful and provide some effort. Recruiters don't do anything unique. They call companies and submit resumes electronically. You can do the same. Research a companies website, and submit your resume to their HR or hiring manager. Inform them that you are representing yourself and are not a recruiting company. It always amazed me how some of those intelligent and sophisticated engineers and others would believe that recruiters had "inside connections" that enabled them to get special access.

You can actually hurt your chances going through recruiters. This might shock you but most companies are not willing to pay a fee to hire you. I know you think you are amazing and have some rare skills that no one else has but that's just your ego talking. You are no different than most of the clones out there. There are a lot of candidates that companies like but not enough to pay a recruiting company to hire them. So think about that for a minute. I'm a company. I have two resumes in hand. One has a $10,000 recruiting fee attached and the other has none. Who am I likely to hire?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Where do you think these Indian recruiters got your number? No, they did not get your number off of a cocktail napkin or your Fortune 500 CEO friend. Do you think you are being suave by having your resume floating all over the web. Do you think that gives you a competitive advantage? Do you think some hiring manager worth a darn is going to waste their time reading these boards and will just call you? Why is that IT guys still can't figure this out?

Also, guess who hires these Indian recruiters and pays them to spam you? That's right American recruiting companies. For everyone one of these Indian recruiters there is an American guy back home paying their checks. Wake up

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-18-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalam View Post
I sometimes wonder that what is the role of HR Managers- that they are not capable of selecting and recruiting themselves directly rather than depend on outsource/third party.
HR have a lot of responsibilities that go beyond recruiting. Their job is to deal mostly with benefits such setting up health insurance plans, 401K, payroll etc. They are often and unfairly tasked with doing recruiting as well so they often rely on filtering recruiter submitted resumes. Smart companies hire their own recruiters which is separate from HR. But unfortunately, most companies aren't savvy enough to figure this out.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:20 AM

435 posts, read 632,720 times
Yes, I hang up on Indian recruiters. In the first place, their accents are horrible. I can understand people with accents from almost any other country in the world, but not India. I simply refuse to talk to someone who won't make an effort to speak correctly.

In the second place, they have no business recruiting here.

Anyone can be a recruiter, all you need is a fax machine, a phone line and an internet connection. There is no training or certifications required for being a recruiter. There are no education qualifications for being a recruiter. It is the wild, wild west. That's why you have to be very selective about which recruiter you are dealing with.

There are far too many people out there trying to recruit. But a person from another country, with little understanding of American culture and geography, isn't going to have the know-how to recruit here in the USA.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:25 AM

435 posts, read 632,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You can actually hurt your chances going through recruiters. This might shock you but most companies are not willing to pay a fee to hire you. I know you think you are amazing and have some rare skills that no one else has but that's just your ego talking. You are no different than most of the clones out there. There are a lot of candidates that companies like but not enough to pay a recruiting company to hire them. So think about that for a minute. I'm a company. I have two resumes in hand. One has a $10,000 recruiting fee attached and the other has none. Who am I likely to hire?
I have said this over and over again. And yes, you are absolutely correct, but you are wasting your time, because many people refuse to believe this.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:34 AM

493 posts, read 975,725 times
When I was looking for a new job I worked with a lot of recruiters as long as they met three of my requirements:

I had to be able to understand them
Their firm/agency had to have a decent website
They had to give me actual full details about the position

As it happened, most of the Indian/foreign recruiters I received calls from did not meet any of those criteria.

I only got one interview from sending in my resume directly, while I got about three dozen interview offers (I went to about 20) and three actual job offers from the jobs where a recruiter represented me. The turn around time was also a lot quicker with the recruiter in my experience.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,276,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Im worried now. I got call from indian hr recruiter. Had phone interview and then set up in person interview at the company (well known) hq. The person interviewing me has a "normal" name. Is it worth while to go? Also a salary was never stated although I was asked to give them a range. This isnt contract btw its full time.
Whats there to be worried about. And what does name have to do with the person interviewing you?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:42 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,407,047 times
I got the gigs I was looking for though Indian recruiters before. Indian recruiters talk and conduct business somewhat diffrently so that throws off people. Can't say that an Indian ever screwed me over. now, red-necks I am afraid off.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM

444 posts, read 577,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. I don't like dealing with companies who offshore. That being said, my company has a division in India. It's almost unavoidable these days, and principles don't pay the bills.

As for my H1-B colleagues, I am always polite, courteous, and professional with them. (Even when they do not reciprocate.) I never have problems with the women and usually don't have problems with the men, though you do get a sexist jerk from time to time. I recently had some issues with a sexist foreign colleague but my boss quickly made it abundantly clear to him that his behavior would not be tolerated.

Also, I have had some Indian colleagues in the past that I would gladly work with again. I've even acted as a reference for one of them. Wouldn't have happened if I was a racist.
Agree. There are some very nice americanized ones out there.

However, when it comes to looking for a job it makes more sense to deal with recruiters who understand the job requirements, know that you probably won't move from Miami (example) to Juno Alaska. It is best to spend time with firms who have the in with the hiring managers.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 PM

444 posts, read 577,351 times
Hello xxxx,

Hope you doing well. This is Atul from Apidel Technologies and I writing you regarding a job opportunity I have with one our direct client. I found your resume during a search for qualified candidates and would like to know if you be interested in looking at this opportunity.

Job Title: Sr Engagement Manager
Type: Full time

Job Responsibilities:

Is primary client day-to-day contact and ensures client requirements are defined and met
Provides thought leadership and delivers business insights to identify and resolve complex issues critical to their clients’ success
Owns the overall problem definition, structuring and execution of the project, with on time delivery, ensuring all project goals are met
Manages junior team members, including definition of objectives, oversight of execution and evaluation of performance
Assists in maintaining ongoing relationship with the client and identifies future engagement opportunities
Actively contributes to business development and to attracting, retaining, developing, and motivating a team of diverse and qualified staff.

Qualifications:

MBA from a top business school (preferred)
3-5 years of pre-MBA experience and 4-5 years of post-MBA experience, preferably management consulting; analytics experience is a strong plus
Functional experience in marketing and risk analytics, strategy, project management, cost reduction, organizational restructuring/transformation, operations, sales, business development, marketing, finance
Demonstrated leadership ability, superior problem solving and people management skills
Excellent presentation and written communication skills

I would greatly appreciate if you get back to us with your responses on the following questions as soon as possible

What is your expected hourly rate for this contract position?
When are you available to start a project?
"Upon offering the position in order to ensure Drug and Crime free Environment, our client mandates a Criminal Background check" Would you be comfortable with that?
What are your Day and Evening phone numbers?

Please attach a copy of your updated resume, in word format, elaborating your projects in tune with the client’s requirement. Please contact me ASAP before the requirement gets filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search