Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:05 PM

140 posts, read 191,803 times

Advertisements

I personally believe that criminal background checks for jobs don't make sense. If someone is willing to work for a living after a conviction, I think they should have a fighting chance just like everyone else. After all, they will be WORKING not sitting home collecting govt benefits or living with mom. I mean, what are your options after you serve a sentence for armed robbery, aggravated assault, etc? Go back to prison or leech off of someone... or try your luck starting a business.

The only exception I see is if you're a convicted child molester applying at a daycare or something, but personally I don't think child molesters should be living in society anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
I personally believe that criminal background checks for jobs don't make sense. If someone is willing to work for a living after a conviction, I think they should have a fighting chance just like everyone else. After all, they will be WORKING not sitting home collecting govt benefits or living with mom. I mean, what are your options after you serve a sentence for armed robbery, aggravated assault, etc? Go back to prison or leech off of someone... or try your luck starting a business.

The only exception I see is if you're a convicted child molester applying at a daycare or something, but personally I don't think child molesters should be living in society anyway.
The checks are fair. Your example above just solidifies that fact.. You don't want someone convicted of theft working at a bank.. Someone convicted of elder abuse to work at a nursing home.

With those situations out of the way.. Let's take a criminal conviction for something that has no bearing on anything.. Someone convicted of drug possession applying to work in software development.. Should that matter? It all depends. To me.. So long as enough time had passed, it wouldn't.. In that situation, even if it was relatively new, it probably wouldn't matter.

Or, someone convicted of bank robbery 20 years ago.. Clear record since... Would I hold it against them? No. Will others? Of course. Should they? Well.. Should they be ABLE to? Yes. There shouldn't be laws against it.. Otherwise, anyone with a criminal conviction should just have it expunged after a set amount of time. I don't agree with legislating that you can't refuse to hire a person due to past behavior.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The checks are fair. Your example above just solidifies that fact.. You don't want someone convicted of theft working at a bank.. Someone convicted of elder abuse to work at a nursing home.

With those situations out of the way.. Let's take a criminal conviction for something that has no bearing on anything.. Someone convicted of drug possession applying to work in software development.. Should that matter? It all depends. To me.. So long as enough time had passed, it wouldn't.. In that situation, even if it was relatively new, it probably wouldn't matter.

Or, someone convicted of bank robbery 20 years ago.. Clear record since... Would I hold it against them? No. Will others? Of course. Should they? Well.. Should they be ABLE to? Yes. There shouldn't be laws against it.. Otherwise, anyone with a criminal conviction should just have it expunged after a set amount of time. I don't agree with legislating that you can't refuse to hire a person due to past behavior.
So someone who JUST got out prison for armed robbery after serving a 20 year sentence has a better shot than a guy who shoplifted a loaf of bread a month ago?

A guy who breaks into a car and steals $100 worth of stuff will never be hired at a bank. Yet a white collar criminal who steals much more will go unpunished. One is socially acceptable, one is not. Or maybe if your daddy is a cop or a lawyer or well known in the community you can get away with things normal people can't. I know a kid who drives drunk regularly and has a clean record. Yet he probably does the work of 2 people.

I think people should pay for their crimes in ways that don't get in the way of them providing for themselves.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
So someone who JUST got out prison for armed robbery after serving a 20 year sentence has a better shot than a guy who shoplifted a loaf of bread a month ago?

A guy who breaks into a car and steals $100 worth of stuff will never be hired at a bank. Yet a white collar criminal who steals much more will go unpunished. One is socially acceptable, one is not. Or maybe if your daddy is a cop or a lawyer or well known in the community you can get away with things normal people can't. I know a kid who drives drunk regularly and has a clean record. Yet he probably does the work of 2 people.

I think people should pay for their crimes in ways that don't get in the way of them providing for themselves.
I wouldn't say that Madoff is going unpunished. But.. My rule of thumb is that 7 years after the crime, or completion of the sentence.. It doesn't matter to me. But.. I do not agree that an employer should not be able to take that into consideration.

I've said it before.. Find someone convicted of a felony who is gainfully employed and you have just found one of the hardest working people you'll ever find.. Because they HAVE to work harder. Probably going to be far more loyal as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:

So you are willing to hire a nanny who was convicted of stealing?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 AM

231 posts, read 462,374 times
Yes, always.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:03 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,672 times
It's strange, but the worst jobs have the most stringent background checks and the best ones usually don't have any.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,692 times
On a personal level: I have a loved one who did something stupid during their college years, and I have seen the specter of that mistake haunt them in the years since. They have been lucky enough to work their way up to a great job, but there is a ceiling on how high they can rise and what kinds of companies they will never be able to work for.

On a societal level: The extreme stigmatization of individuals with criminal records does real, measurable harm in society. Recidivism rates skyrocket when ex-offenders are unable to become gainfully employed and reintegrate into society. Frustration and desperation lead people to re-offend just to survive, contributing to the revolving door of our prison system.

On a business level: With all of that said, I cannot honestly say that if I were a hiring manager presented with two identical candidates--one with a record and one without--that I would choose the one with the record. Hiring involves a thousand small judgments, and it makes sense that a person's ability to abide by the basic rules of society would count at least as much as the quality of the suit he wears to the interview.

It is a complicated problem with no easy solutions.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
The tolerance for some crimes varies. If someone was addicted to drugs that's one thing they can get help. But the tolerance for violence has dropped significantly. Look how hard is it to say don't beat people up?

Besides if someone does perform crime as a adult then what is that really saying? It means you can't learn. If you can't learn then what makes you think you can work?

It doesn't even matter if criminal records are sealed or not because you can always google a name.

Read the book here
http://www.amazon.com/Arrest-Proof-Y.../dp/1556526377
The power of compounding is why things are the way they are on this. Most crimes can be minor but can add up.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
So you are willing to hire a nanny who was convicted of stealing?
Sure. Why not? Someone with a job and real responsibilities has a much less likely chance of stealing than a person with no job or sense of responsibility. And if that nanny were to steal from me then that's what the police are for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search