Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 23,970 times

Advertisements

I believe that anyone is hired based on their ability to demonstrate value to someone else. It has nothing to do with age. How can a person market oneself to distinguish them from the competition? If you do not stand out as a person who can deliver value, then no one will see you. Think of it this way. If there are several similar products on the shelf, what would be the criteria you would use to evaluate your purchase? Many employers are only thinking about how they can reduce their pain to save time and money. I do not believe that you will be hired if you are not able to demonstrate that value to the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
How is it that people in their 20's make absolute statements like this, ?
I think it's because 20 somethings these days are trapped at their parents house, making them feel pathetic and amplifying their feelings of desperation. 15-20 years ago, even without a job, a young person could move almost anywhere and make ends meet with a crappy part time job if they had to. Now they are stuck festering in their parents basement, progressively going insane with each job rejection.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
This is exactly what I'm saying. If you're 25 years old with only 10 months of professional work experience in your field -- like I am -- then you won't get looked at for any good level-1 job. No matter how motivated you are, it is hard to be perceived as so, because you're "old", in a sense.
....that has nothing to do with what your saying.

A personality liability is hiring someone who would not work well with your team, someone who has no emotional intelligence, comes across as entitled, and values their time more than anybody else's. I was hired on the same day as another guy, who refused to talk to anyone on our team other than if he didn't understand something to yell about it. That guy didn't last.

It's about being able to display integrity and show respect to others. A lot of hiring is a personal decision.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:39 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
....that has nothing to do with what your saying.

A personality liability is hiring someone who would not work well with your team, someone who has no emotional intelligence, comes across as entitled, and values their time more than anybody else's. I was hired on the same day as another guy, who refused to talk to anyone on our team other than if he didn't understand something to yell about it. That guy didn't last.

It's about being able to display integrity and show respect to others. A lot of hiring is a personal decision.
I remember seeing the signs of someone that didn't get along at one job. Eventually it got to the point where he supposedly made a joke about taking a firearm to someone. It was investigated and found out that he had one. He was fired and told not to come back or he'd be arrested. This guy had a chip on his shoulder about taking commands from anyone younger then him. He was in his early 50's.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:48 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It certainly reveals a rather clueless brand of arrogance

Excellent observation. Can't rep you because you said something genius earlier.
Not to worry. I rep'd him for both of us.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Such a person should give up all thoughts of ever having a successful career.
They may never hit the highest echelons, but they can get it together and certainly improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search