Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:25 PM

431 posts, read 597,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
There was no life before the internet. People were prehistoric. But jobs were advertised in Newspapers. Check your newspaper, see if they still have the help wanted section.
Strangely enough, we still advertised online (the usual job sites and Craigslist) and in the local newspaper. Guess which one gets us the most useful applicants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,410,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
Strangely enough, we still advertised online (the usual job sites and Craigslist) and in the local newspaper. Guess which one gets us the most useful applicants?
Craigslist has employers with the worst reputation, while newspaper add might end up on Indeed.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:40 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
Not counting jobs advertised in local papers/help wanted signs/walk ins, jobs were advertised in professional journals. Places that were casting a wide net would advertise in multiple major metro papers. A good library would have newspapers from the major US cities. You could also send off letters of inquiry. Networking also had some application, but you generally had to actually speak with your contacts -- there was no fake internet networking.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,537,608 times
Meoowwww meowww meowwww. Arf.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,654,105 times
Great question! Before the internet, there were no jobs. The internet created the need to work.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,999,401 times
I started hunting for my first jobs in the late 90s, just before the internet got big.

I used my school's computers. I literally needed to go there and log in. I couldn't do it from home. Even back then, I don't think the newspapers were a good source.

College job boards, and Hotjobs, Monster, and Careerbuilder. Filling out job apps was a beyond painful experience back then. It would be slow, pages would freeze, and hours worth of work would be lost.

For quick work, temp agencies, definitely.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 PM

12,943 posts, read 9,561,801 times
Pretty much the same way then as they do now, except you have the additional tool of the internet today. Some people are lazy and rely too much on the internet to look for work, and my son was one of them. You have to also get out there and pound the pavement as well and just don't put all your trust in the internet

Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 PM

986 posts, read 2,496,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
What was the hiring process like before the internet? Or did humans for the most part work at the local machine making place?

How did humans who graduate from universities across the country apply to highly sought after salaried positions in big cities, particularly when they have never been there? How did humans find jobs that were just as well compensated and just as good for personal development and lifestyle but were in a different location?
You had to go into a business and sit on smelly waiting room chairs, filling out applications with grubby pens (BYO) on grimy clipboards. Or sometimes you'd mail or fax it to them.

I did much better in the old days when physical presence could get the attention of an HR lady. Now, resume screening software can render you just a bunch of text to ignore.

Last edited by ca_north; 11-12-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,141,961 times
Given the fact that an actual human probably looked at the resume you sent them in the mail, your chances were likely better for getting an interview. Today, even though the Internet has made it easier to distribute your resume, it has also made it easier for everyone else. The amount of noise is simply immense. To compound that, software looks for keywords and phrases on your resume. If you haven't used the magic words, chances are a human being will never even see it.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,197,360 times
Default I'm sorry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
What was the hiring process like before the internet? Or did humans for the most part work at the local machine making place?

How did humans who graduate from universities across the country apply to highly sought after salaried positions in big cities, particularly when they have never been there? How did humans find jobs that were just as well compensated and just as good for personal development and lifestyle but were in a different location?

Did you say humans?

What else is attending universities across the county or applying for employment positions?

Sorry, but you hit my hot button. Its like saying live nudes or virgin vinyl.

As opposed to what?

We're just people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search