Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

I keep saying this, but seems as though few on CD believe me:

Most professional organizations have annual meetings which have job boards (actual physical boards on which notices are posted and interviews are scheduled.) And most professional organizations had monthly periodicals which had job listings. That's how I got ALL my internships and jobs. Got my grad degree in NY, then moved to a first job in TX, a second job in CA, and so on. Now those professional periodicals are on-line, that's the only change.

Non-professional jobs were advertised in newspapers. Even now advertisers from out of state pay for help wanted ads in my local paper newspaper.

If I read one more CD poster who writes "What is a professional organization, I don't believe you . . . " I will electronically and metaphorically kick all of your lazy behinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
On-campus recruitment at your college
Research job opening at your school's Career Services Office
Headhunters
Sunday newspaper help-wanted ads
Tips from your network (friends, relatives, professors, colleagues)
Going in person to companies you like with resume in hand, also known as "pounding the pavement"

Old 11-13-2014, 07:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Op, your question cracks me up..lol

Well, before the internet people filled out paper applications. People knew how to use pen and papers.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
What was the hiring process like before the internet? Or did humans for the most part work at the local machine making place?

How did humans who graduate from universities across the country apply to highly sought after salaried positions in big cities, particularly when they have never been there? How did humans find jobs that were just as well compensated and just as good for personal development and lifestyle but were in a different location?
After graduation from school or college, us humans read the newspapers for job opportunities, then we'd usually send out resumes for jobs that we'd like, or we actually got up, got dressed, left the house and went to the place where we'd like to work and filled out applications in person.

I can't speak for non humans. Perhaps they did it differently.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:06 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
My first job, I chiseled my name and cave number into a rock and left it at the entrance to the quarry.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:08 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
my first job, i chiseled my name and cave number into a rock and left it at the entrance to the quarry.
lol!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:20 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Follow up question:

How did Homo sapiens breath before the Internet?
I think there were some sot of Human like beings before the Internet from which we decended. You know evolution and all that, although some christian groups doubt this and believe that dinosaurs once shared the Internet with humans.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:22 AM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
Well, if you were a teenager or young person, you would actually GO INTO the business, ask for a job application, ask to talk to whomever does the hiring, fill out the app, and hand it back to the person behind the counter. I remember spending hours driving around as a young person, and collecting and filling out dozens of apps.

If you were a professional or mid level, you would scan the newspaper classified and follow the instructions for applying, which usually entailed typing up a cover letter, finding a manila envelope and a stamp, and mailing it. Job hunting was a lot more proactive and entailed quite a bit of energy. Also, this could be a killer for people who were a bit on the shy side or had any type of social anxiety.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:03 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I keep saying this, but seems as though few on CD believe me:

Most professional organizations have annual meetings which have job boards (actual physical boards on which notices are posted and interviews are scheduled.) And most professional organizations had monthly periodicals which had job listings. That's how I got ALL my internships and jobs. Got my grad degree in NY, then moved to a first job in TX, a second job in CA, and so on. Now those professional periodicals are on-line, that's the only change.

Non-professional jobs were advertised in newspapers. Even now advertisers from out of state pay for help wanted ads in my local paper newspaper.

If I read one more CD poster who writes "What is a professional organization, I don't believe you . . . " I will electronically and metaphorically kick all of your lazy behinds.
That can be true even in government. If you advertise to a general audience then you will get more responses. here's a case in point

Years ago I applied for a position in Montpellier Vermont. It's a nice area, it is the VT capital but it's only about 3,000 people. there are those that think that somehow a state capital must be huge and stocked with people (boston 600k, albany 100k etc) I received a reply practically a half hour later as this was timed close.

He graphically described that he anticipated 80 applicants. He received 180 and after it closed another 30 which would be deleted. He said out of those 180 about 80 are from New England, 50 from Vermont. He'll go over and get it down to 15 then 7. Interviews and second interviews and hiring make the process last about four or so months.

Had he published in something more governmental it would have been lower. Some employers are going back to manual applications because the ease of applying simply swamps systems even with that Taleo thing people gripe about. Factoring out those that cannot afford to send, print out resume paper and get it on time (remember mail is closed sundays and holidays and government offices are usually closed saturdays) it lowers the pool.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
I think paper applications are still used at some retailers. Here in Orlando, I believe some of the retailers at the Premier Outlet don't accept online applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search