Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Yesterday I had an interview for an assistant project manager position. I was answering a question asked by the interviewer when all of a sudden he put his right hand up like he was giving a 'stop' gesture and said SHUT UP. After that there was a long pause. The HR girl next to him turned to him with a stunned look and then she turned to look at me. The interviewer was looking straight into my eyes with a very deep look. VERY, VERY weird. I got up from my chair and told him and his company to F off.

As I opened the door to get the hell out I noticed employees scrambling out of their offices and into the hallway wondering what was going on. As I made it to my car ready to drive away out came the interviewer running towards me and yelling for me to wait with his arms flinging all around. I drove towards him, stopped and rolled down my window. He started apologizing with a real cracked voice. I told him to F off and I also told him that he was the worst interview I've ever had. He kept apologizing and kept saying 'I like you, I like you.' I told him I would never work for a *hit company and a *hit employee like him. I told him to shred my resume as I was driving away. The last thing I heard him say was "are you serious?"

It was so awkward when he told me to shut up. It came out of left field. Honestly, when I got up from the chair I wanted to bash his head through the computer screen behind him. How can people like this degenerate have employment? How can he treat someone like this in an interview of all places? Hopefully the HR girl notifies someone about this but I doubt it. It's water under the bridge now.

-Cheers.
I call BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
One pattern that I tend to notice here is that people avoid critical thinking skills before responding to posts like these. Could it have happened exactly as the OP stated? Possibly. Could there be another side that we don't know? Absolutely.

I like to look for root cause before taking anything at face value. The HM could have been a complete jerk, but we don't know because we weren't there. When a story seems too good to be true, it usually is. To be fair to all parties involved, it could have been that the OP was going on and on to the point that the HM couldn't stand it anymore or something of that nature. It's not a good reason to tell anyone to shut up, but a reason. Those small details are important before determining right from wrong. Knowing this info could also help shape responses such as "OP, try to keep your responses brief and to the point in the future" or some other piece of useful advice that someone could offer the OP which could help in the next interviews.

Immediately jumping on the bandwagon of the OP is 100% right and the other guy is 100% wrong doesn't do either party justice. The OP doesn't learn anything from the experience and someone may be completely vilified where it wasn't warranted.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I'm wondering why all the employees were scrambling out of their offices/cubicles... Did the Interviewer scream this very loudly??? If not then I doubt all the employees heard it and were pouring out of their places...

Working in an office with both cubicles and offices, I don't hear very much from other areas unless someone is yelling or screaming...

If they just said SHUT UP in a terse voice the employees would NOT have heard it...

As for cussing out the interviewer repeatedly.. That shows how LOW CLASS you truly are..Since the Interviewer apparently never cussed you out...

I understand you were upset.. Guess you have NEVER had anyone tell you to SHUT UP before.... But to cuss out people like that is ridiculous....
Yeah, the employees coming out of their cubicle made this into a fairy tale.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Uh, the employees started to scramble after the OP told the interviewer to F off. He was probably yelling at the guy. What a weird story.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-01-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If people act like unprofessional asses toward you in interviews, that is what they will get back. This is not India and we are not untouchables for them to try to walk all over.
untouchables..lol. I actually got the job which I turned down but then the Manager (non Indian) called me up and said I would be great addition to the team and his indian colleague is moving over to another project and won't be working with me. Since this was the client I really needed on my resume, I said yes. Looking forward to starting my new gig soon

Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
untouchables..lol. I actually got the job which I turned down but then the Manager (non Indian) called me up and said I would be great addition to the team and his indian colleague is moving over to another project and won't be working with me. Since this was the client I really needed on my resume, I said yes. Looking forward to starting my new gig soon
Congratulations and good luck with your new gig.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 AM

104 posts, read 149,799 times
The OP reacted naturally. As he stated he had a job already and was looking for something closer to home. I worked for someone that sounds like the person that interviewed the OP. I later found out that I was hired to replace someone (a woman who had a stroke right after having a baby) and was never given this information during the interview. One of the questions I asked during the interview was "Will I be working with a team or is this a one person position?" They told me I would be working with the woman. In my short time there (4 months) they treated her like dirt. Although the stroke may have slowed her down a touch, she still performed well but they scrutinized everything she did. They eventually let her go and once I had another job I left. I later found out that the guy we worked for was sued by another employee and was eventually fired. So it was good to nip this kind of stuff in the bud from the get go than having to accept a job knowing you could potentially be working for a crappy boss.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERMAN View Post
The OP reacted naturally. As he stated he had a job already and was looking for something closer to home. I worked for someone that sounds like the person that interviewed the OP. I later found out that I was hired to replace someone (a woman who had a stroke right after having a baby) and was never given this information during the interview. One of the questions I asked during the interview was "Will I be working with a team or is this a one person position?" They told me I would be working with the woman. In my short time there (4 months) they treated her like dirt. Although the stroke may have slowed her down a touch, she still performed well but they scrutinized everything she did. They eventually let her go and once I had another job I left. I later found out that the guy we worked for was sued by another employee and was eventually fired. So it was good to nip this kind of stuff in the bud from the get go than having to accept a job knowing you could potentially be working for a crappy boss.

So here is the problem with that mentality. It's not your job, nor your duty to try and get people kicked out of a company because your morals do not align with theirs. Yes, people like that need to be dealt with but not by someone interviewing for a job there. You can do much more harm to yourself than good for others by having an outburst like the OP.

It's all about tact. Because someone else lacks this trait does not mean you need to. We still have not gotten to the bottom of WHY the HM told the OP to shut up and I doubt we ever will. We remember our reactions and the thing that caused our reactions but in doing this, we tend to "forget" what may have caused the other person to react, which in turn caused a reaction from you.

Something happened that caused the HM to tell the OP to shut up. (Right or wrong) We all control our reactions. You have to control knee jerk responses. We are not going to find out what caused the reaction from the HM because the OP either won't remember what it was (became focused on his reaction to being told to shut up), or won't admit to it.

We are not animals. Reacting "normally" as you put it is a knee jerk response. The OP didn't take the time to analyze the situation and figure out how to move forward. The easiest solution was to let emotion overtake them and make a decision based solely on emotion. This is rarely ever the right thing to do.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Even if the OP was doing something to cause it like rambling on and stuff there are more polite ways to steer the interview on like waiting for the OP to catch his breath then jumping in thanks that answers my question and then move on to the next one. Just blurting out SHUT UP is like a rude child. It even made the HR person wince which given the rudeness I've seen from them is really saying something.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Even if the OP was doing something to cause it like rambling on and stuff there are more polite ways to steer the interview on like waiting for the OP to catch his breath then jumping in thanks that answers my question and then move on to the next one. Just blurting out SHUT UP is like a rude child. It even made the HR person wince which given the rudeness I've seen from them is really saying something.

Again, we are all ASSUMING that this is exactly how it went down. Furthermore, the reaction that the OP stated they made was not the proper way to handle the situation. I still caution anyone to "choose a side" without knowing more. Do you have kids?

My nephews will get into an argument (or a fight) and break their necks to go tell on the other person first to get their story out. Their stories are usually completely different. If I witnessed the problem, I usually find that neither of them are telling the whole truth.

Usually goes something like this.

"He hit me."

"Why did he hit you?"

"I don't know. I told him it was my turn to play with the ball and he hit me."

"Nephew 2, why did you hit nephew 1?"

"Because he kicked me when I told him I wasn't done playing."

No story is ever one-sided. It's foolish to make decisions based off of hearing one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search