Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:07 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i been thinking about looking for a new job almost the day i started where i'm at now. Its been 31 years so far. I guess the grass always greener on the other side. company not bad, every company has the sane diffulcut people. i guess its the grass being greener deal.
Sometimes the grass IS greener, though. That's why few people stay in their part time job from high school and why people water their grass in the summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 10:30 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i been thinking about looking for a new job almost the day i started where i'm at now. Its been 31 years so far. I guess the grass always greener on the other side. company not bad, every company has the sane diffulcut people. i guess its the grass being greener deal.
If the grass is greener, it might be because they are taking better care of it. Staying at a company in the same position for 31 years, I wouldn't be surprised to find out new hires on the job are almost making what you are now or more. I knew a guy who stayed with the company a little over 40 years before he retired. He told me that the last 5 years on the job he got zero raise.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:41 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
If the grass is greener, it might be because they are taking better care of it. Staying at a company in the same position for 31 years, I wouldn't be surprised to find out new hires on the job are almost making what you are now or more. I knew a guy who stayed with the company a little over 40 years before he retired. He told me that the last 5 years on the job he got zero raise.
Sometimes it makes sense to move on for more money, sometimes it does not, you may know 1 guy that did not get a raise his last 5 years in his career, but I know more than a dozen who made more than their cohorts with the same experience because they stayed with the same company and got raises and training throughout their time there and their companies took very good care of them.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:54 PM

514 posts, read 764,520 times
I like how you think making $45,000 a year at 27 is considered being successful... start looking for a new job immediately.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:20 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I like how you think making $45,000 a year at 27 is considered being successful... start looking for a new job immediately.
Yep why would someone making more than the median wage consider themselves successful at the old age of 27?

That is one of the problems with society, nobody seems to have any clue about the rest of the society or even world, the median household income is only around $55K but it seems that half of this board and society seems to think that almost everybody makes 6 figures.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:12 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
You are 23 and seem to like to comment on things you know nothing about. Perhaps you would like to share with us about how sales is a "terrible career path", how every doctor who participates in the "Doctors Without Borders" program are "simpering little wonks," or how most 20-somethings are "self involved to the point of being obnoxious."

That description sounds familiar.

You need to do a little growing up and gain some real world experience before you start handing out advice about who is or isn't successful, what is or isn't a terrible career path (why don't you try having something that resembles a career first?), who is or isn't a "wonk," or how many 20-somethings are self involved and obnoxious (although you are giving us a good working example.)

Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 12,115 times
I'm in the same boat you are. I'm starting to look for a new job. It's great experience but it's not something I want to do the rest of my life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search