Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

I've had probably 0 to 2 responses via Taleo (too lazy to search my records, and even then, not fully comprehensive), out of about every 100 applications or so. It really does seem like they just set and forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think it is counterproductive if it is they do not get enough of the right candidates. Right now employers can be picky but not too picky.
Here's the thing though... Taleo may suck, but at least it's not a whole lot of work for them. At least I hope the HMs and HR folk aren't spending too much time on it, if at all. If they are, then it seems like they're making negative progress and their resources are better utilized elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
This is a crazy number if it's real. You either have a very, very impressive skill set that everyone wants, or have submitted 4000 to 5000 applications given the standard 1% rate of people who get a call back and then move on to an onsite interview. To even be able to find that many jobs that are in your field is a remarkable achievement too. Keep doing what you are doing as it is working better than anyone else in the nation IMO.
Yeah, I remember the old mantra... "apply to 100 jobs, get 5 interviews, and get 1 offer". Nowadays, it's more like "apply to 800 to 1200 jobs, get 1 to 3 interviews, and then good luck after that".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've had probably 0 to 2 responses via Taleo (too lazy to search my records, and even then, not fully comprehensive), out of about every 100 applications or so. It really does seem like they just set and forget it.
It seems like that in other places that don't use Taleo as well. They put it out there and you only find out months later that the job is closed, IF that. This has happened to me with other employers that don't use Taleo as well.

Quote:
Here's the thing though... Taleo may suck, but at least it's not a whole lot of work for them. At least I hope the HMs and HR folk aren't spending too much time on it, if at all. If they are, then it seems like they're making negative progress and their resources are better utilized elsewhere.
It isn't, nor is not re-calibrating the different "personality tests"/skill assessments they use say every six months, year or two years. I don't want them to spend every waking moment, but when there are openings, it is a good idea to look at it and be proactive rather than wait months to update. I've seen six months lag in between the time you get the e-mail saying that you are moving on to when the position is finally closed.

Quote:
Yeah, I remember the old mantra... "apply to 100 jobs, get 5 interviews, and get 1 offer". Nowadays, it's more like "apply to 800 to 1200 jobs, get 1 to 3 interviews, and then good luck after that".
Yeah, the old days are gone.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:30 AM

828 posts, read 908,203 times
I was just thinking about this very question recently. I've only ever gotten response call from a taleo application, and that's after years of applying through taleo. Any other interviews I've gotten have been through regular old email applications.

I agree with the poster who said it's designed to eliminate people.

I am seriously worried about what the next decade is going to look like as it relates to the job market. There has to be an average of 100 people applying for every 1 job.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Yes, but I target companies based to my skills.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 PM

416 posts, read 871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
In my entire job searching career, somewhere around 35%-40% of the applications I've submitted have been through the Taleo system. At the same time, I've got somewhere around 50 total interviews set up (including phone interviews) and none of them have been companies that use Taleo. Coincidence????
I've had no issues with companies that use Taleo.

First employer (local grocery store): did not use Taleo.

Second employer (multi-national retail corp): used Taleo.

Third employer (multi-national bank): used Taleo.

Fourth and current employer (multi-national bank): used Taleo.

So I've got a 75% success rate. And no, I haven't applied to any other companies outside of these four.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:52 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
50 interviews is a lot. Are you having trouble deciding what you want to do?
Over almost 2 years, I've had about 40 interviews out of about 180 applications. So I don't really think 50 is unreasonable since companies are allowed to be very picky. Most for me have been out of state companies, so there's that working against me.

About Taleo, I have had some interviews from it. Not enough of a sample size, but for me personally, it does seem more likely to be a black hole than other methods. I don't let it deter me.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
HEY!!!!
I GOT A CALL BACK FROM A TALEO SUBMISSION!!!!

Really. From a international company in our area!!
Yes, I hate Taleo, but now I would have to say that people really do check the submissions from the companies that use them.
Im as shocked as you might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search