Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 PM

6 posts, read 9,482 times

Advertisements

I kept getting declined for being "over qualified" so I downgraded my title. Now I got an offer subject to a background check. All the dates, employers, and education is correct however, I put down a lower title than what I have. Do you think this is a reason to rescind my offer? I am such a wreck over this. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Don't even worry about it. It is out of your control and in their hands. And really the worst thing that can happen is you don't get the job. Big deal...you never even really had it. You probably wouldn't have gotten this far if you hadn't done what you did.

Back round checks are usually criminal, financial(credit), and work history. Most companies will only verify the dates you worked there and many use automated systems where the caller never talks to a human. And they check your references. That's about it unless you need a government clearance or some positions that handle a LOT of money.

I've had to do this. I left all my higher education/degrees off my resume and made my prior experience look more clerical and customer service oriented. I looked for 2 years with a 'straight' resume and got nothing but the old overqualified thing. I dumbed down my resume and got a crappy job right away. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Just like you, everything on my resume was true and verifiable. And it worked.

Worrying about this is a waste of time. And don't stop looking till you start working!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:36 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,667 times
This really depends on the kind of job you applied for and the company. If your title is similar to your downgraded title, then you are most likely safe. Generally downgrading a title doesn't hurt you as much as upgrading a title in which case you are definitely getting your offer rescinded. You are also safe because everything else in your application is accurate and because you were going after an entry level job rather than a managerial position.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
There is a lot of wiggle room with titles. As long as it is similar it will be fine. As long as you don't claim VP of research when you are a technician they won't bat an eyebrow.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
This really depends on the kind of job you applied for and the company. If your title is similar to your downgraded title, then you are most likely safe. Generally downgrading a title doesn't hurt you as much as upgrading a title in which case you are definitely getting your offer rescinded. You are also safe because everything else in your application is accurate and because you were going after an entry level job rather than a managerial position.
I am a Team Lead and put down Customer Service Rep, which of course I was prior to getting promoted.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There is a lot of wiggle room with titles. As long as it is similar it will be fine. As long as you don't claim VP of research when you are a technician they won't bat an eyebrow.
Actually I just checked. My current title says "Call Center Supervisor", I put down "Customer Service Representative". I am freaking out so bad. This is a much better opportunity. I would hate for something so stupid to blow it.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 AM

276 posts, read 337,808 times
Sounds like a non-issue. As a call center supervisor you ARE a customer service representative. As an employer I'd be glad to higher you, I'm getting a higher quality employee and only have to pay you at the entry level wage. Plus if my current Supervisor moves on, I've got a candidate to fill the spot immediately. Don't expect supervisor pay.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
If it's a much better opportunity, couldn't you have used your title and stated in a cover letter that despite titles, this opportunity appeared to be a step up?

I would say with most people it won't matter, but there are always people out there who might view it as a deal breaker.

Keep yourself busy by continuing to look for a job instead of ruminating about this which isn't going to change the outcome anyway.

Good luck and I hope you'll let us know when you hear something.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If it's a much better opportunity, couldn't you have used your title and stated in a cover letter that despite titles, this opportunity appeared to be a step up?

I would say with most people it won't matter, but there are always people out there who might view it as a deal breaker.

Keep yourself busy by continuing to look for a job instead of ruminating about this which isn't going to change the outcome anyway.

Good luck and I hope you'll let us know when you hear something.

I tried a whopping 13 times for this position with the Supervisor title. You would think my perseverance showed how badly I wanted my foot in the door. Each time I got an automated response saying that "although my credentials are impressive I have not been selected to move on in the process." I omitted the Sup title and got an interview the following day. Makes no sense? I agree, that's how it happened though.

I am not dishonest by nature, I did this on a whim thinking I would get the same automated response. Now after all that hard work I can practically taste it and because of such a silly thing I may lose it all. I wish I could put it in the back of my mind and leave it in their hands but I cannot help but worry.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
I highly doubt it'll impact anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search