Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

A very unprofessional woman (with a horrible drawl/accent) called me last week for an interview. She had not even looked at my resume, and I asked her if she read it. She had no clue. I said- have a nice day, click.

A great company representative

I can't believe how unprofessional some people are- and they work for HR.

sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:52 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
...She had not even looked at my resume, and I asked her if she read it. She had no clue. I said- have a nice day, click.
Why would you care if they read your resume or not, as long as they hired you?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why would you care if they read your resume or not, as long as they hired you?
The HR department is the "image setter" for most companies from the employment perspective. If they can't get HR right, chances are the rest of the company is inept as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
My friend had an interview, and the woman was giving him the 3rd degree on EVERYTHING. Then asked him why he didn't have his high school jobs on his resume, like he was hiding something. He was just like...."I'm 30 years old, what does being a stock boy at a supermarket have to do with this HR management position?". Then she started grilling him how much he made in high school! He just sat there and was like "uhhh....what? I don't know, $5 an hour?".

Then she started taking personal calls during the interview.

Finally after 45 minutes she looked at him and said "well, this job actually requires a BA degree, and I see you don't have one. I don't think we are able to offer this job to you". He finally just broke down and yelled at her for wasting both their times and being a freak.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
The HR department is the "image setter" for most companies from the employment perspective. If they can't get HR right, chances are the rest of the company is inept as well.
Exactly. Also I am educated, I am not looking for a 12.00 an hour job. People really are ignorant at some of these companies. It may be - where I am living for now- In NY no one would call a prospective candidate with such a poor presentation.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:39 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
The HR department is the "image setter" for most companies from the employment perspective.
I agree, but if I really wanted the job, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to interview based on the HR person. My last job was wonderful, at a well-respected company, and I had a super boss...but for 2 of the 4 years I was there, our two HR people were the nastiest, rudest people ever. Didn't hurt me any, but unfortunately it probably did hurt us in employee recruiting.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Maybe the woman calling to set up the interview was not going to be the one doing the actual interviewing.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM

It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, when a supposed recruiter has no verbal skills whatsoever. Their loss, not mine.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, when a supposed recruiter has no verbal skills whatsoever. Their loss, not mine.

I have run into the same thing. HR employees are not accountable to anyone, and they assume they are the hire/fire gods of the company.
Most have no clue about the positions they interview prospective employees with.
I have met so many who were pushy, bossy, arrogant, but they cannot do my job.
They will not help you if you have problems with a job either, they just bounce it right back to your boss, so do not ever go to an HR employee about internal matters.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I have run into the same thing. HR employees are not accountable to anyone, and they assume they are the hire/fire gods of the company.
Most have no clue about the positions they interview prospective employees with.
I have met so many who were pushy, bossy, arrogant, but they cannot do my job.
They will not help you if you have problems with a job either, they just bounce it right back to your boss, so do not ever go to an HR employee about internal matters.
So true. And if they cant even pass Communications 101 by sounding good on the phone (this was a large marketing firm) I am happy to decline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search