Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 AM

379 posts, read 785,706 times

Advertisements

Since you were upfront and disclosed being terminated in the interview process, I think you should be fine with the background check. What they're mostly looking for in these checks is dishonesty (eg, did you say you worked somewhere you didn't or lie about the dates you worked somewhere?) and criminal record violations that will prevent you from getting a security clearance. As long as you are honest purely having been fired shouldn't impact your conditional offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM

32 posts, read 69,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This is confusing. Have they hired you or not?
Wel yeah. What I'm wondering is if they'll fire me for poor work history in the background check.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:11 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Being a past federal employee my question to you is "Would you rather wait until the background check is complete before they hire you"? That could take some time. They can always cut you loose if they find something awry but unless it is serious, they will probably "call" you on it first. Unfortunately there are a LOT of hurtles to clear when being hired by the "Fed".

Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesa88 View Post
I got offered a job. Went in today to fill out tax information along with other forms, and get fingerprinted. Now I have to complete and submit a background report which includes employment and residence information, along with other information such as providing information on people who are supposed to know me well.

Why do they make me do this after apparently hiring me? Isn't a background investigation something they would want to conduct BEFORE hiring someone?

Now I'm actually worried though, because I do not want to list information about jobs that I have been fired from before. I know I'll get in trouble if I don't include information and they would find out, and I know that legally, past employers aren't technically allowed to badmouth me, but what if for whatever reason my current job decides to let me go for things in my background report, even if I'm honest about everything. Could past supervisor legally give the reason for a discharge, assuming they can disclose that I was discharged at all, saying "he was let go because of this..."? I never did drugs or got in trouble with the law. I just got fired from two jobs relatively recently and have had a lot of unemployment in the last 5 years.
They don't do that before hiring you unless it's considered a sensitive position. It's still all contingent on the background check. Federal employment requires specific details of start and end dates of where you lived and worked. The reason for leaving each job, that sort of thing. Also education, they want to when dates you were in college. It's Federal employment, you no longer have privacy and should give them exactly what they ask for if you want to work there. It isn't like they are going to offer you a lower salary because 2 jobs ago you were fired. Most likely your actual supervisor won't even get this information, and won't be contacted unless you don't pass the background check.

If you feel at this point you need to change what you submitted, contact HR immediately and ask if you can make some corrections on your application. Make an apology that it needs to be corrected and you'd be glad to turn this around to them immediately.

For the private sector it's different. It's really none of them business most of what they ask you, and I have left it blank without being asked and still got hired. But for Federal government, it's all about filling in the paperwork so they can complete their investigation.

Unless you sat there during the interview with the hiring manager and boasted about never having been out of work, never collected unemployment and never been fired from a job, then don't sweat it. They made the offer, you have a start date, depending on the work you are doing it would have to be more than just being fired that would be a red flag for them. They are just trying to verifying everything, so make sure it all verifies.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:26 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
Do you need a security clearance? I had to do a background check for that and it took more than 3 months. The reason they start you working is that they can't let the position stay open for that long.

Do NOT lie on the forms for the background check. They will find out and it will come out much worse than if you are open an honest about it.
Yes, with Federal employment, it doesn't even matter what you lied about that mushc, they only care that it doesn't match up and that's enough to cause trouble.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Wel yeah. What I'm wondering is if they'll fire me for poor work history in the background check.
On mine, they didnt care about that stuff. What they worried about was that all the jobs could be confirmed and the places I lived and the schools I went to could be verified. They said they were only going to go back 5-7 years, but the went back 30!!! I waited three months then just told the company I got hired by to forget it, I have an opportunity to escape this god forsaken state, and Im not missing it for any job!
I had to apologize to some of my friends because the two agencies that did the check (FBI and some independant checking co.) called my friends at very late hours, some more than once and the FBI even colled one of my erstwhile co-workers in an unlisted number!! I'm old and have lived all over the place, and had a lot of jobs over the past 14 years. If you arent like that, yours should be simpler. In summation, I wouldn't worry about the opinion of your work, just that all of your "I's" are dotted, and your "T's" crossed!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
I got offered a job. Went in today to fill out tax information along with other forms, and get fingerprinted. Now I have to complete and submit a background report which includes employment and residence information, along with other information such as providing information on people who are supposed to know me well.

Why do they make me do this after apparently hiring me? Isn't a background investigation something they would want to conduct BEFORE hiring someone?

Now I'm actually worried though, because I do not want to list information about jobs that I have been fired from before. I know I'll get in trouble if I don't include information and they would find out, and I know that legally, past employers aren't technically allowed to badmouth me, but what if for whatever reason my current job decides to let me go for things in my background report, even if I'm honest about everything. Could past supervisor legally give the reason for a discharge, assuming they can disclose that I was discharged at all, saying "he was let go because of this..."? I never did drugs or got in trouble with the law. I just got fired from two jobs relatively recently and have had a lot of unemployment in the last 5 years.
Yeah I had this happen with two jobs and it never made sense to me either. And when it happens you have to just sit around and read until the background check is complete. The way you know everything came back fine is when you are given the company username and email.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 PM
FBJ

Quote:

if you was not fired from your last job then you won't have to concern yourself with that

Old 12-13-2014, 10:25 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Well, I disclosed that I was fired on the initial application that I filled out. I'm just wondering if they might change their mind about hiring me for whatever reason while conducting the background check.

I haven't had many jobs in the past 5 years. All of them have been short term jobs, with the longest only lasting about four months, and I have lived at the same address for 20 years.

The job you were fired from was that your last job?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,428 times
Quote:
Well, I disclosed that I was fired on the initial application that I filled out. I'm just wondering if they might change their mind about hiring me for whatever reason while conducting the background check.

I haven't had many jobs in the past 5 years. All of them have been short term jobs, with the longest only lasting about four months, and I have lived at the same address for 20 years.
Do they know about your work history before the offer? If you are truthful on your resume and application, they already know about your short term jobs before the offer. I wouldn't worry too much about it if this is the case.

In many cases, background check is only checking your criminal history/education/work history. As long as your work history matches with your resume/application, you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search