Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I also cannot rep, and I am usually not this direct, but MPowering is exactly correct with this one. I have hired people who feel entitled before, and regretted this each and every time. Attitude is huge with me, and a good attitude will always swing me in favor of that candidate.

Before the 'work is not a social club' whiners jump in, I also hire for skill/ability/credentials. But I would rather leave a position unfilled than hire a competent person with a bad attitude. That is only going to cost me time and effort later as we inevitably start down the disciplinary route to dismissal.
I am normally in the 'work is not a social club' group (wouldn't say whiners but to each their own) but nothing about your comment is asking for a social club. It is saying don't act entitled to the job, don't act better than the job and want to make the team better more than yourself.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
How do you know that you passed the personality test? Is there a pass/fail option for these tests or do they just indicate certain traits that an individual might have? Did all the other candidates have to go through 4 rounds of interviews as well? Maybe the company thought that you were lying on the personality test and were interviewing you several times to see if they could catch you in a lie.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:58 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would ask you what experience you've had that you're basing these opinions on, but I already know the answer is NOT ENOUGH TO FORM SUCH OPINIONS.

Your rants are based on the following:

• not getting your way
  • a sense of entitlement
  • thinking you're smarter than almost everyone
  • feeling put out and inconvenienced
  • a bruised ego

What several of us have pointed out in the past, that so many of you fail to understand, is that the feelings you have, the attitudes you hold near and dear, do come out during an interview. Whether it's the way you sit, the way you stand or walk, what you do with your eyes, how you respond to questions - a poor attitude will always have a tell. Seasoned interviewers know this, young pups think they can outsmart everyone else.

Please take my next comment in the spirit in which it's given, which is simply to help you. Your attitude stinks. I would never hire you. Ever. If you had the experience to do the job with no training required, and I was interviewing people who had no experience at all, one of them would get the job. Why? Because I believe it's best to hire for attitude, train for skills.

You'll get a job eventually, although it will take you longer than some - and then you will lose that job. I promise you that you'll be fired early in your career due to your attitude. Don't believe me? Do a keyword search here using the word 'fired' and see what you find.

If the interviewing process offends you, I guarantee there will be many more things that offend you once you land a job.

You will be your own worst enemy until you figure that out.
The interview process should offend him. It's an offensive process. He is entirely reasonable for being offended.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post

Hiring people with no experience for positions requiring experience will eventually come back to bite you on the ass and quickly
Make you not only a detriment to your company but make you the object of scorn from your other employees because they have to continually pick up the slack from someone who doesn't know what their doing. No wonder quality candidates continue to be unemployed. Guess its easier to label them as overqualified and reject them.

Thanks for your concern, jma, but I wouldn't worry about me. One of the things I'm known for is putting together great teams of talented, bright people. I figure I'm doing something right.

The thing about hiring people with good attitudes, is they're eager to learn, enthusiastic, and put the time in so they learn quickly. No slack at all, really.

And even people on my team would prefer someone like this over someone who can do the job from day one, but is a cancer with all the griping they do because their feelings have been hurt or they've been offended. That negativity brings everyone down.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
How do you know that you passed the personality test? Is there a pass/fail option for these tests or do they just indicate certain traits that an individual might have? Did all the other candidates have to go through 4 rounds of interviews as well? Maybe the company thought that you were lying on the personality test and were interviewing you several times to see if they could catch you in a lie.
The OP stated they did the tests before they got the interviews meaning that they did pass it. If they didn't, they wouldn't have likely got the interview except if it was a formality due to connections.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:59 PM

687 posts, read 616,669 times
Quote:
Thanks for your concern, jma, but I wouldn't worry about me. One of the things I'm known for is putting together great teams of talented, bright people. I figure I'm doing something right.

The thing about hiring people with good attitudes, is they're eager to learn, enthusiastic, and put the time in so they learn quickly. No slack at all, really.

And even people on my team would prefer someone like this over someone who can do the job from day one, but is a cancer with all the griping they do because their feelings have been hurt or they've been offended. That negativity brings everyone down.
I have found it difficult to discern if an employer means "enthusiastic and eager to learn" when they say having a good attitude, or someone who is willing to keep smiling and not question it when they're treated unfairly, poorly compensated or exploited. The latter seems to be what puts a gleam in the eye of the hiring manager.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I have found it difficult to discern if an employer means "enthusiastic and eager to learn" when they say having a good attitude, or someone who is willing to keep smiling and not question it when they're treated unfairly, poorly compensated or exploited. The latter seems to be what puts a gleam in the eye of the hiring manager.

In your mind the two are exclusive. In mine, they are not. People with good attitudes can question things and state that they think something is unfair, or they feel they should be making more money. They ask for a meeting and discuss it respectfully.

Much different than pouting, going off the deep end, and complaining to co-workers.

One is professional and respectful, the other is not.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:42 PM

687 posts, read 616,669 times
Quote:
In your mind the two are exclusive. In mine, they are not. People with good attitudes can question things and state that they think something is unfair, or they feel they should be making more money. They ask for a meeting and discuss it respectfully.

Much different than pouting, going off the deep end, and complaining to co-workers.

One is professional and respectful, the other is not.
I still have a hard time trusting that employers are good on words like that.

For bolded part: Did the OP do those things? This is where I'm getting confused with your statements. He said he did make a complaint to them respectfully, and even notified them that he was going to review them. Not sure how this is going off the deep end, complaining to co-workers (he didn't even have the job) or pouting (presumably to the employer).

Old 12-31-2014, 03:58 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I still have a hard time trusting that employers are good on words like that.

For bolded part: Did the OP do those things? This is where I'm getting confused with your statements. He said he did make a complaint to them respectfully, and even notified them that he was going to review them. Not sure how this is going off the deep end, complaining to co-workers (he didn't even have the job) or pouting (presumably to the employer).
No he didn't but don't expect the hr/him apologists to admit anything. They prefer to wave fingers, call names, and try to make those that are unemployed believe that its their own fault and that there is something wrong with themselves because they are. Its all bull**** from egotists.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:17 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
This thread has been cleaned up a bit. Some off-topic posts and personal attacks have been deleted. I believe the thread has run its course, so it will remain closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-31-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search