Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,176,975 times

Advertisements

OP, assuming the certification is required for the job you're looking for, fingerprints would be required sooner or later, for this job or another, so makes sense to get it done. Also, if this helps, you should be able to deduce the $200 from your tax returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 AM

14,891 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Example:

in 2008, my wife got her Associate's in Nursing, otherwise known as the RN certificate.
She needed to be licensed by the state in order to work.
In order to be licensed, she had to take a board exam. This was costly.
She also had to be fingerprinted, at her own cost as well.

This is actually pretty common...
It is but that $200 fee for fingerprinting seems pretty steep, even if the OP is talking about a background check to go along with it.

I don't know what state the OP lives in, but here in Florida one can get fingerprinted at a local sheriff's or police department, and the cost for a resident ranges from free, to $5.00- although I did see they charged $15 in Coral Gables, so I guess that's set by the folks doing the fingerprinting. And there are any number of entities that will do Level 1 or Level 2 background checks for much less than $200. Often an employer will pay for such a background check for new hires, but even when the applicant has to pay for them ( as they do to get into nursing school, apply for a license, take a board exam, they're not that much.

Generally, the employer/state/nursing board, etc. that wants the background check will provide the applicant with paperwork for where they want the background check carried out ( for instance, "Been Verified.com.") and the instructions for fingerprints, so if I were in the OP's boat, I might just wait to get hired to see what the employer wants to do.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,714,334 times
I've had to be fingerprinted in two states and the total cost was roughly 25 dollars. Where are you getting fingerprinted at that it costs 200 dollars!? Even NYC doesn't cost that much!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:26 AM

14,891 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
This job requires certification for a position and I have certification for it. I received the certification two weeks ago. However, to ensure it will be active have to be fingerprinted and pay the fees for the license, which I didn't do yet. Should I apply or wait? Appreciate the feedback.

Ok, now that I re-read your post again, I'd probably go ahead and apply for the license, and the licensing entity will give you instructions about where to get the fingerprints and background checks as part of that application. Generally they want specific places to do the background checks, and even if you had one done fairly recently, they would likely want you to do it again.

You don't say what your field is, but in some fields ( like medical fields) you have to have a license to even get a job, although when you apply for a license, until you get it ( which in medical-related fields like nursing require you to pass a background check and take a test and pass it), they may send you a letter which acts as a temporary license so you can work till you get your license.

If you get your license, even with a background check to get that license, don't be surprised if the employer wants you to go through another background check, as they're required to do in accordance with state and federal laws.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 39,307 times
The job in the IT feild earns what a year? vs the $200 to pay for fingerprints to get the job. It's worth it.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,176,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRErider View Post
The job in the IT feild earns what a year? vs the $200 to pay for fingerprints to get the job. It's worth it.
Also worth reading the entire thread. Especially post # 7.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,639,617 times
For a security guard license. Less then $200 between $160 to $180.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,037,062 times
If you don't want the job, don't apply, and don't get fingerprinted.

If you want the job, apply, and get fingerprinted at your local police station for next to nil.

By the time they get around to hiring you (and for gods sake don't tell them you are an idiot and couldn't make up your mind about completing the certification) your certification will be complete.

Sheesh. Why is this even an issue?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,639,617 times
It is for a guard card in my state. It is three fees...checked drive not that bad just have to go to the state police headquarters a forty minute drive. Three fees though average out to $180, still comes off steep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search