Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Even if I go on an interview and completely loathed the company or got a bad vibe from the people interviewing me and left shaking my head thinking "God, I would never want to work there," it's not a waste of time. It was good practice (interviewing well takes practice) and at least now I know: Don't bother with Company X, or hiring manager Y.

Yep. When I was unemployed, I was happy to go on f2f interviews even on jobs I know I wouldn't like, working for companies I have no respect for. I figured that my job was to get as many f2f interview attempts as possible not only for practice but as a means for networking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM

276 posts, read 330,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What surprises me most is that a candidate would want LESS interviews. I'd never want to accept a position without having an opportunity to interview as many people as possible at the company.
But it's also annoying having to conduct 3 or 4 interviews until you get a job. You still have chance to meet many people after getting hired, or the most important people on your first interview.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
But it's also annoying having to conduct 3 or 4 interviews until you get a job. You still have chance to meet many people after getting hired, or the most important people on your first interview.
How would I meet people before accepting the job? I don't want to accept an offer just to meet people.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Some (not all) candidates think that interviews are a waste of time. If I get 400 applicants, and it takes me 4 rounds to select the most appropriate candidates, they're all in arms about how I wasted their time. They don't understand the selection process.
Ironically, there's a thread on this silliness, right here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...cess-norm.html

Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 PM

276 posts, read 330,432 times
^ There is discrimination taking place at work places unfortunately, especially at a medium-sized and larger companies. I'm not allowed to even look at people with Indian/Asian names and those with accent or heavily foreign names. So sad! and God forbid they have ugly profile pictures....

Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
^ There is discrimination taking place at work places unfortunately, especially at a medium-sized and larger companies. I'm not allowed to even look at people with Indian/Asian names and those with accent or heavily foreign names. So sad!
Weird; at a lot of companies, it's the other way around. When we put out a rec recently, all we got were resumes from Indians.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
^ There is discrimination taking place at work places unfortunately, especially at a medium-sized and larger companies. I'm not allowed to even look at people with Indian/Asian names and those with accent or heavily foreign names. So sad! and God forbid they have ugly profile pictures....
Strange, considering that Asians are at the top of the socioeconomic classes and of the most productive and proficient workers (statistically speaking).

Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Strange, considering that Asians are at the top of the socioeconomic classes and of the most productive and proficient workers (statistically speaking).
I don't know about that, but I try to look at candidates as individuals and base my opinion of them off their resume, experience, skillset, personality, etc. I've rated Indian applicants over American ones (of any color/either gender) before if they were actually the best, and vice versa.

If you eliminate an entire ethnic group or gender from consideration, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. That goes for all groups and both genders in every industry.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't know about that, but I try to look at candidates as individuals and base my opinion of them off their resume, experience, skillset, personality, etc. I've rated Indian applicants over American ones (of any color/either gender) before if they were actually the best, and vice versa.

If you eliminate an entire ethnic group or gender from consideration, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. That goes for all groups and both genders in every industry.
I was just pointing out statistics which conflict with -Valentino-'s employer's policy.

I wholeheartedly agree that you should be in search for the best-suited individual.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,854 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what industry do you work in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search