Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 05:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
What kind of answer would please you anyway? That's why people don't want to answer that question.
My answer would be......."ok well I think we are done here but I want to thank you for the invite and I think it's best if we end the interview now because it just doesn't seem like a good match"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
What kind of answer would please you anyway? That's why people don't want to answer that question.

If someone is interested in answering that question I would recommend they discuss what they are learning NEW as it relates to the job you are interviewing for. But I feel the question is inappropriate and not connected to the job at all which is why I would not be able to continue the interview.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
If someone is interested in answering that question I would recommend they discuss what they are learning NEW as it relates to the job you are interviewing for. But I feel the question is inappropriate and not connected to the job at all which is why I would not be able to continue the interview.
Not to mention none of their business.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:40 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Not to mention none of their business.
Pretty Much

Old 01-05-2015, 06:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
This rebuttal was lengthy and has been removed by the author because it addresses issues which have been raised countless times in countless threads and beating one's head against a brick wall serves no purpose.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This rebuttal was lengthy and has been removed by the author because it addresses issues which have been raised countless times in countless threads and beating one's head against a brick wall serves no purpose.
How many times did it take before you figured that out?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 PM

199 posts, read 183,951 times
I've never understood why when a job is advertised at a certain pay, say $13/hour, an applicant reads the advertisement and interviews for the job, is offered a job at the advertised pay, accepts the job at the advertised pay, and then within a short amount of time the employee complains that the job doesn't pay enough to pay their bills?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Not only was the goal to get a job that would help pay the rent, I also wanted a job I could put on my resume so I would not be just wasting time at a job that would not mix in with my previous jobs
I've heard mixed suggestions on this... it creates a better impression with the HM since you're trying to support yourself, or it could be worthless because if you're going for a job as an program analyst, lawyer, chemist, developer, accountant, etc.... brewing coffee, folding sweaters, flipping burgers, and call center stuff has no relevance to that, and you're as unemployable as the person who's been out of work for a year.

The whole 'not taking a $7/hr job' thing also ties into what the same critics say about fast food not meant to support yourself... go to college, better yourself some other way, and get a better paying job. Well, you don't do that by taking the MW job!

Quote:
Not only that most minimum wage jobs don't even offer full-time hours
Ah, right. So you're getting a fraction of a fraction of the pay! Yeah, I hear they try to keep it under 30hrs/wk to avoid paying benefits.

Last edited by ackmondual; 01-06-2015 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 AM

303 posts, read 396,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
I've never understood why when a job is advertised at a certain pay, say $13/hour, an applicant reads the advertisement and interviews for the job, is offered a job at the advertised pay, accepts the job at the advertised pay, and then within a short amount of time the employee complains that the job doesn't pay enough to pay their bills?
Companies are seldom so transparent about wages these days, *especially* if they're around the 13 dollar range.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Sticking to the point at hand without going off wildly is also an attribute. You rather remind me of a young man I was once interviewing who, right in the middle of a discussion on job duties, suddenly looked at me and said, "You like baseball?" Maybe I should add that the job had absolutely nothing to do with baseball or any other sport.
First off, I did. The sidebar is linked as the employer who is interviewing the prospective employee has to craft a question, and deliver it without being offensive. "Asking where is your accent from," can be a gateway to "are you legal to work in America" especially if you have a British, Australian, French, Russian, German, Indian or southeast Asian accent. To tie back to the original point, you can ask "how did you fill the gap" with a less offensive tone and changing the wording and make it more welcoming than asking, "so I see a gap in your resume..." *moves in* "what did you do in the mean time?" *raises eyebrow* Of course this an extreme but we get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search