Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:42 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times

Advertisements

$7.25 an hr is for a high school kid working at McDonalds for first job experience. Not for someone with advanced education and experience in a skilled job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:48 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
$7.25 an hr is for a high school kid working at McDonalds for first job experience. Not for someone with advanced education and experience in a skilled job.

It was a period in my life when I had no income and still looked past minimum wage jobs because I knew they would not keep me in my apt.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Accepting $7 an hour just locks you into a cycle of poverty. If you are going to sell out you should be honest enough not to sell yourself cheaply.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:08 AM

293 posts, read 317,004 times
I really do not get OP's slave minded mentality.

"Hey you are educated and have work experience, but times can be tough so you should just suck it up and take lower wage jobs companies generous provide to you because it is better than nothing you lazy prick."

Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
It is a somewhat tricky line as to when do you accept the 7-8$ hour job. I know that many if not all college grads did not go to and graduate college with the goal of returning to and making the same wage they had whilst in high school- I argue that the whole point of college is to better aid you in finding a job that a high school diploma is not good enough for. So if I was in the situation of where 7-8$ was my only choice, I would first exhaust every resource in finding a better job, that is hit up every family member, friend, relative, go to every career fair, and go far out of my comfort zone when looking for work-if none of those options worked then I would take the 7-8$ job.

In any case mentally it can be very tough almost to the point of soul crushing disappointment when you have work experience, when you graduated University and you have to go back to the job you had in high school-there is a valid reason why people moan and complain.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Why do people get offered a job only for them to reject it because pay is laughable? It's not like it's easy to get a job, and millions more Americans wish they were in their position. So if anything they should be grateful they were given an opprotunity to work instead of turning it down and complaining that they can't find work. $7 an hour is better than nothing.
Is your question rhetorical?

They reject the job BECAUSE the pay is laughable.

Not everyone searching for a job is so desperate and destitute that they need to take whatever pittance an employee wants to offer. These people are able to be more choosy, and sell their skills and abilities closer to what they think their market value is.

(One other point, if you take that low paying job in the interim, it takes time and availability away from your job search which could hinder your ability to find a better job... you cannot be networking, interviewing, etc, at the fryer bin at McD's).

Old 01-02-2015, 06:36 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
I'd challenge you to go look at some job listings. Nobody spells out even vaguely what the pay is these days so you pretty much have to go apply and interview just to find out its a job you wouldn't even consider takin.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
The same reason why if I offered a roofer $8 an hour they would turn me down, a plumber, a doctor, etc. They know their time and labor is worth more and that someone is trying to take advantage of them.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 AM

303 posts, read 396,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Why do people get offered a job only for them to reject it because pay is laughable? It's not like it's easy to get a job, and millions more Americans wish they were in their position. So if anything they should be grateful they were given an opprotunity to work instead of turning it down and complaining that they can't find work. $7 an hour is better than nothing.
This is a *very* unusual question for an adult who presumably has to pay rent to ask. Do you pay for your own housing, OP?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
just because one person is desperate for a job, doesn't mean another person is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search