Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 AM

847 posts, read 1,349,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
And what then are those aged 60 and above supposed to do to support themselves? By the time I reach retirement age I will be almost 70 years old. We spend all this money on health care to live long prosperous lives yet society rejects our need for earnings. And when they can't earn a living and the government has to support them with handouts, we call foul!
I don't have an answer. It saddens me to know that people have worked hard all their life and when the time comes, they don't have the means to comfortably retire or even retire at all, but many of them have themselves partly to blame because they didn't start thinking about saving for retirement until it was too late. I realize many either were not able to save or will say they couldn't afford to save and this could be true in many cases but there are others that were not willing to sacrifice excessively spending disposable income to for instant gratification.

That's why one should be thinking about retirement saving from the very first day of work but many of us do not, including myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,646,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Unfortunately businesses don't like capitalism when it applies to the labor market so they force their employees to sign non-competes to stifle competition in the labor market and lobby/bribe the government to flood the labor market with an immigration and h1-b free for all.
Most non-competes are not worth the paper they are written on. As long as you don't use their proprietary processes or poach their customers, a non-compete means very little.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 AM

7,919 posts, read 7,789,278 times
Non competes can vary but they should have holes. I have a relative that was on one that meant that he had to pretty much not work in order to collect a severance package otherwise they'd be a gap etc. Another person I know has an odd one that basically says you can go to a competitor, however you cannot come back for two years after you start there.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,041,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I have two degrees and a decade of experience and recently interviewed for a job who's online posting required Degree + Experience, and they wanted to pay me $8.25 an hour. Needless to say I turned it down. I wouldn't gripe if I was applying for a low-skill job where you know the pay is going to be crap, but when a position requires a secondary education and they still want to pay you sh*t, that's pretty insulting.

A wise person once told me: "You are lucky, you know how to get by on nothing."
I know how to live frugal and I have savings. I'm not desperate enough to work a crappy low pay job.

Yeah, I could get by ok on a min wage job, but my time is more important to me than spending most of it at a job that I'd hate.

I have a degree and years of experience too. I got laid off a good job last fall. Collecting UI right now. job market is slow here, especially since it's winter. Work slows down in the environmental industry in the winter. I did see one job in my field come up recently. It's at a company that I really didn't want to work for, and it was an entry level job and I suspect the pay was way less that my last job so I didn't bother apply.

The place that laid me off would like to hire me back if things pick up in the spring, so I'm biding my time.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,993,430 times
$7 per hour is not always better than nothing. Depends on the cost of commuting and the dress code. At $7 per hour I am got going across town or investing in clothes. I can't afford to! Is it a job that offers advancement or just a lifetime of bone crushing poverty? Are there benefits? Is it full time? Lots of different factors apply.

A real job needs to pay enough to buy the basics in life. Rent, utilities, food, healthcare, and transportation. If you don't make enough for this you should always be job hunting.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:01 PM

276 posts, read 330,090 times
Anybody paying less than $15/h = slave job (unless high school kids)

Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,929,805 times
Depends on how desperate you are. If you have some money to tide you over you can afford to be somewhat choosy. No way would I take a low paying job that had a long commute or whose hours would prevent me from looking for another job. But if the job were close, and I needed $$ now, I'd take what I could find and keep on looking for something better.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,019,256 times
I refused jobs like this when I was unemployed because I did not want to taint my earnings history.

Going from $125,000 down to $15,000 would raise more red flags than remaining unemployed. I preferred to live on savings and have the flexibility to interview rather than jump at a job that would not even cover my monthly expenses.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,225,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I refused jobs like this when I was unemployed because I did not want to taint my earnings history.

Going from $125,000 down to $15,000 would raise more red flags than remaining unemployed. I preferred to live on savings and have the flexibility to interview rather than jump at a job that would not even cover my monthly expenses.
Plus, a lot of minimum wage places won't hire a down-on-their-luck professional because they know we'll bail as soon as we find a good gig. They don't want to bother with the hassle.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,019,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Plus, a lot of minimum wage places won't hire a down-on-their-luck professional because they know we'll bail as soon as we find a good gig. They don't want to bother with the hassle.
That is certainly true. Had I been forced to take a min wage job I would have had no qualms about dropping that position with no notice if something better came along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search