Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:48 PM

12 posts, read 31,787 times

Advertisements

I recently received an entry level position out of school for a great employer. It is probably one of the better jobs I could get this early in my career. I recently ran into a problem. I interviewed with them months ago, and at the time listed an anticipated graduation date on my resume. Since then, I have found out that one of my classes hadn't transferred in to the University I will be graduating from (the job requires a bachelor's). This has caused me to miss graduation. I have put in another request to have the class transferred, but this will take close to a week. The employer wants to know if I will accept or decline the offer tomorrow. I am almost certain they will do an education verification. Depending on how long that takes, I may not meet the requirements because of this silly mistake. I think I saw on the original application that background checks would be done and COULD consist of education, work history, criminal history, etc, and that if I disagreed with any of the results I had 4 or 5 days to refute them. I talked to my supervisor at the University and she said once the class has successfully transferred they would give me a degree completion statement to give to the employer, but it is too late for me to make the commencement list for this semester. I just don't have a good feeling about this. I feel that this one class that has nothing to do with my core major classes will keep me from getting this job. Anyone with any experiences or input on this? Does the time after a background check is completed to argue a false result (granted I have the completion statement from the university) seem like a common practice anyone has heard of? Sorry for the long post - all of this just came to my attention over the last few days while thinking I had this job wrapped up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM

405 posts, read 573,282 times
Accept the offer and bring it up if they encounter an issue and just say you didn't know one of the classes didn't transfer which is the truth. You don't want to eliminate yourself if you don't have to.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Just tell the hiring manager (or the person you're dealing with) the truth as stated above. "There was a glitch and a class I'd taken wasn't reflected on my transcript so it looks like I didn't complete my studies. It's being rectified now and once they get the information they'll be able to give me a letter stating I've earned my degree. I should get it soon so hopefully that won't be an issue."

Try not worry - these things do happen - and good luck.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Accept the offer. Tell them the truth about the above.

Besides, you never lied. You gave an anticipated graduate date.

Before a background search is done, you usually have to fill out an online form that is much like an application. Sometimes it IS the application. They ask about past criminal history and they ask the dates you attended school and the degree you have. And they ask how many credits you have. Put the truth in that form. Then when they call the school to check, your info will match what the school has on file.

Even if you find out later that you have to retake 1 class (worst case scenario)...still take the job. Then take the class after hours or online if you can and then graduate next semester.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:55 PM

I appreciate the responses... Sware2cod - the class is already taken and completed. For some reason it just never made it to my university. I took multiple classes online from different schools and transferred them in. It's quite possible I forgot to fill out a transcript request from his particular school.

That was one of my main concerns... Do I bring it up tomorrow when I accept the job, or wait and see if they find it and mention it to me. I figured it would make me look a little better if I brought it up to them first.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Mention as per above, but also include some documentation proving what you are saying. Bring it up in advance, no one likes surprises.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 PM

587 posts, read 915,759 times
I would bring it up. If you wait for them to notice, it makes it seem like you are trying to hide something.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:52 PM

Always be proactive rather than reactive.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM

I called the company and told them I was going to accept the position and told them about my issues with my transfer. They have a 3rd party complete background checks so she said if any red flags are raised they will contact me. I am sure it will get flagged because I just found out about this last week and put in my request for the transcripts. My supervisor said to call her in the middle of next week. Only problem is, the lady where I would be accepting the job said the checks are completed in 24 hours. She said from what I explained to her she thinks they can work around it but couldn't make any guarantees. Apparently someone would have to sign off on it with the company. Doesn't sound good. I'm beyond frustrated and upset. My wife and whole family knew about this offer. To have it halted because of this would be devastating. I'm trying not to let it bother me too much because it is out of my hands now. I can only just hope someone on their end is having a good day and gives me the benefit of the doubt.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Most of the things we panic about never happen.

The school transferring your credit - do you have an email from them saying they have now sent in the transcript showing your credit hours of X? All you would need to do is take that email and your current transcript to show the hiring manager you're on board to get your degree as soon as it goes through the system. Tell them you can't get a letter from your university until that process is done.

They'll understand. These things happen more than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search