Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,578,020 times

Advertisements

Give them the stub with information redacted. It will prove you were employed without giving more sensitive information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,809,759 times
There is no legitimate reason for an employer to ask for this. There are a couple reasons they may want it, but there are other ways of getting this information.

If they want to verify former employment, they can call HR and receive verification. That is what HR is for. If your former employer doesn't exist, then I could see taking a W2 and crossing out all the numbers.

The other reason would be if you are asking them for more money than they say they would 'usually' pay and they want to see proof that you were paid what you say you were paid before. Personally, I wouldn't furnish anything - if I really liked them and I felt I was getting a great deal, I would agree to furnish one after we had an employment agreement signed (contingent upon the paystub reflecting what I said it reflected). It's their choice to believe you or not.

Your pay stub contains private and sensitive financial information. The only people other than you who should ever see it are the IRS, a landlord, or a bank from whom you are requesting a loan. Plenty of other people may want to see it, but that doesn't mean you should let them.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,101,428 times
This could very well be a visa related issue!

Its been a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure I had to submit ALL of my US paystubs in order to apply for a green card the reason being I had to evidence continuous employment throughout my entire stay to date in the US.

As I didn't go through a visa renewal process or a visa transfer process I don't know if this applies to that as well but in any event it's certainly fair to ask why they need the paystubs.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,163,820 times
Maybe the employer wants to make sure your employment and work visa are valid with your current employer i.e. you are actually being paid as opposed to being employed but on bench and not being paid - in which case, your work visa may become invalid (within 30 days?).

Old 01-07-2015, 12:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,146,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
it's not common.

i have heard from friends in sales who get paid commission, etc. that they have had companies ask for a copy of their tax returns to verify annual income.

i wouldn't have a problem with it though...but that's just me (nothing to hide).
I do not have anything to hide either.NO way would I reveal all that personal info.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM

625 posts, read 898,324 times
Actually it's not common but it done. I work on Wall street and twice I was asked by large banking companies to provide salary information. However, this was requested after I was offered the positon. I didn't mind because prior to interviewing I knew the pay range for the position. The $$$ offered was fair. If the money is not right, I will not interview with a prospective employer. I also think they use the paystub to confirm what you tell the headhunter (or disclosed on an application). Let's face it, people are known to embelish resumes and exaggerate salary history. I don't think there are any laws that prevent employers from verifying income. However, prior employers do not have to provide any such information unless they receive a subpoena. If you don't want to give them a paystub, you can request a letter from your previous employer stating how much your were paid and nothing else. If you didn't lie, then you have nothing to worry about. I hope you get the job.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,501,283 times
I have been asked by many other interviewing companies about my present salary and I am fine answering that. But a paycheck contains much more info than it which I don't know why a company would be interested even before all the interviews are done. Plus it's a big and know IT company, so my guess is they would be doing some detailed background check once a candidate is hired.

I heard back from them again and I cleared the interview and they want to move forward with other interview. They told me I don't need to submit paycheck now and they will collect only the info required for visa transfer in HR interview later.

Thanks guys!!

Old 01-09-2015, 01:10 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,416,599 times
If this is late in the process, the company is going to have all of my personal information anyway. Heck, back in the day companies used to make candidates fill out candidate forms and made you write down your ssn, drivers license number, etc.

All you guys who are so defiant are hilarious. Say you're making $50k and a company offers you $100k and says that it's contingent to see your previous paycheck stub and you got nothing to hide but you're going to refuse? Yeah right...

As for telling them your current pay and desired pay, usually they ask both. I have seen some interesting answers to this question especially because I hire engineers and sometimes I hire internationally. I have had folks say that they make $40k now but since they are overseas, they did some research and found that in silicon valley engineers make millions so they want $2m, etc.

I usually correct them and say that for every Zuckerberg, there are millions of random but good entry level engineers who make $100k.

RVD.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:13 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Is it common for the companies to ask for paystubs while interviewing? I was thinking to reply her with answers to other questions and for paystubs I would say I will provide them once we move ahead with the other interviews/if I get hired. Would saying this sound rude?
I have. I was working for the government as a contractor and the company was working for lost the contract and another company won the contract. Generally what happens in these situations if the new contracting company hired all the contractors from the losing company, a few people might lose there jobs if they pissed off the wrong people, but generally it's a pretty lateral move. After all the people who are currently working on the contract know there jobs, firing everyone and hiring a new crew while cheaper would be a serious inconvenience to the client. While I didn't have an interview, I was asked to provide a pay stub from my former employer. I was seriously considering creating a pay stub for them with a nice raise, but I chickened out. My offer from the new employer was the same as what I was making already. Some people that made too much, the new contracting company tried to cut there salaries. Some negotiated a better salary, others just left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search