Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:07 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better (relevant to the job you apply to)!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-Don't talk too much (we did not submit them for an interview solely for this reason unfortunately)
-What else can I think of now?
Good subject, and maybe the people who post after you will provide some beneficial information, but...

You personally have ABSOLUTELY NO credibility and should not be advising anyone of anything to do with hiring.

This list of yours is not only incorrect, but may prevent someone from applying to a job for which they are qualified - but don't meet your arbitrary standards of "professionalism" (of which you have proven in your other thread to have very little of.)

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 01-15-2015 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
I really wonder how old the OP is? My guess is 22-24.

Hiring manager for larger corporations = recruiter at temp agency

Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Yeah, that's my read on it too.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 16 days ago)

8,018 posts, read 5,826,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Forget cover letters and thank you notes. Networking is where it's at.

Some 70% of the currently employed can name one or more people who either guided them to, told them about, or advocated for them to have their current position.

Join professional organizations, Toastmasters.... Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, help out with the Rotary's pancake breakfast...

The world is flat full of chances to prove what a dedicated, hard working, fast learner you are to those looking for employees/colleagues with those exact same qualities.

This is what I stress to my kids.

I tell them that it is very important to be a vital, contributing member of a network. Spend more time on LinkedIn than Facebook, and get out put yourself into situations where you can continuously expand your network.

My last three jobs in the corporate world did not involve me clicking on the "careers" link of a company website. Rather, someone in my network thought I would be a good fit and brought it to my attention.

Networking is something they don't spend enough/any time on in high school and college, yet it is likely one of the most critical parts of staying employed.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:41 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah, that's my read on it too.
This guy may be different but;

In my experience, "Hiring Manager for larger corporationS" refers to one of the thousands of leeches who have decided they can make a fortune by being a "free-lance recruiter." Someone who does nothing but read job listing and then try to contact people who they think may fit that job while having no idea what that job actually is; hoping to get the $500 - $5000 referral bonus, or sucking $2-5 dollars an hour out of your paycheck because they did the difficult task of finding your posted resume and emailing it on to another - more professional recruiter.

Many times, these are people who come up with some fancy old sounding company name (actually established 1.5 months ago), but work out of a cheap apartment. They are the modern equivalent of a ambulance chaser, have no skills of their own, have been fired from a real job or cannot find a real job, and have decided to sit on their arse all day being nothing more than a sorting bin with arms.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 AM

51,618 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
This is what I stress to my kids.

I tell them that it is very important to be a vital, contributing member of a network. Spend more time on LinkedIn than Facebook, and get out put yourself into situations where you can continuously expand your network.

My last three jobs in the corporate world did not involve me clicking on the "careers" link of a company website. Rather, someone in my network thought I would be a good fit and brought it to my attention.

Networking is something they don't spend enough/any time on in high school and college, yet it is likely one of the most critical parts of staying employed.
I agree. The ability to get people pulling for you is critical.

Many of those who can't find jobs don't seem to understand this. They want people to give them a break but why would people do this when they don't even know them?

The "everyone is against me" attitude is self-defeating.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:20 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,559,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Honestly I feel like a job seeker doesn't know what to do anymore. There's so many mixed messages. Shorten your resume. Leave nothing out on your resume. Apply online. Online applications are a waste of time. Don't forget to include special skills. Nobody cares about your special skills. Employment gaps are the kiss of death, but God forbid you fudge your work history to cover the three months you were unemployed. You just can't win no matter what the hell you do. Unless you're Jesus Christ himself, you can't get hired.
In a job market like what exists in the US right now, it's any reason NOT to hire someone. When things flip around, you can be a mouth-breather and get hired to run a nuclear power plant.

It was a low-unemployment world for a time. Now it's a higher unemployment world. Power has switched hands. It'll come back around again, and make the employers pay with some nice wage inflation.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Jma501 I don't think you should call a temp agency everyday
Just do it once a week by email instead if phone because u don't want it to get to a point where they won't deal with you at all. So just try to contact them once a week

Old 01-15-2015, 10:49 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,197,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Jma501 I don't think you should call a temp agency everyday
Just do it once a week by email instead if phone because u don't want it to get to a point where they won't deal with you at all. So just try to contact them once a week
At the temp agency I spoke of the rule was daily.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:00 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,409,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
This guy may be different but;

In my experience, "Hiring Manager for larger corporationS" refers to one of the thousands of leeches who have decided they can make a fortune by being a "free-lance recruiter." Someone who does nothing but read job listing and then try to contact people who they think may fit that job while having no idea what that job actually is; hoping to get the $500 - $5000 referral bonus, or sucking $2-5 dollars an hour out of your paycheck because they did the difficult task of finding your posted resume and emailing it on to another - more professional recruiter.

Many times, these are people who come up with some fancy old sounding company name (actually established 1.5 months ago), but work out of a cheap apartment. They are the modern equivalent of a ambulance chaser, have no skills of their own, have been fired from a real job or cannot find a real job, and have decided to sit on their arse all day being nothing more than a sorting bin with arms.
Yep. I make the habit of 'googling' info on recruiters now when they contact me on linkedin. I had one guy trying to locate a position with me. His title was VP of Recruiting - Finance and Accounting. When I googled his company I came across one of those websites like 'corporation info' or whatever. It turned out it was a private company with 1-5 employees, and he was the owner. Uh huh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search