Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 12:29 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,964,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
So I've been unemployed for almost three years. It's not for a lack of applying. I was blackballed by my two former employers for quitting without notice. I hated my bosses and coworkers and they hated me. So I quit. I can't omit these employers because they take up five years of work history. Prior to quiting there were never any complaints about my work it just wasn't a good cultural fit at either place. Each of them actually asked me to stay when Ingave notice, So over the last few years I've made it through many interview processes mainly to the last round of three or four rounds and instead of calling references that I provide the companies contact my old employers who say not to hire me. They never even reach out to the references that I list only to the company HR TEAMS and prior managers

So I recently had an phone interview with a HR manager for a corporate position. That goes well and he tells me the hiring manager is apprehensive about speaking to me since I haven't worked in so long, I can understand that. He goes on to say that the hiring manager will not even grant me an interview unless I provide him the names of my last two managers to call. I hated each of my last managers but would be willing to provide references from organizations that I've volunteered at over the last couple years. He says no he wants my hiring managers info before he will even schedule a phone interview with me and the hiring manager. What would you do?

How long should a person be punished for leaving a job or jobs on bad terms?
Are you sure they said not to hire you? Specifically said that?

Or just told them you quit without notice, so they took a pass.

Or maybe they filled them in on how you seem to hate most of your bosses and coworkers, and they didn't think that would work for their company?

Last edited by ringwise; 01-16-2015 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,670,937 times
OP, what is your line of work?

Old 01-16-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don't have anyone at those jobs. It's seems like employers don't care about the references that you list. They'll call the former employers anyway. Of course I list people that like me and would say good things about me as references. I know that I've been blackballed because thankfully potential employers and HR reps have told me some of the horrible things that have been said about me. Most of it is exaggerated or false but I don't know want to do if they ignore the references I provide and contact people via LinkedIn and fish around and find my old managers without my consent. I know I should have left those employers in a more graceful fashion but I don't feel like I should be punished for the rest of my life
They don't call your references because you list people that like you and will say good things about you.

As for the rest, I think you're not being truthful. No potential employer or HR person would EVER tell you what was "said about you".

Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,417,063 times
Most apps I've seen demand you put down your supervisor and even his number.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If the OP is careful he won't get caught. Even if he does eventually he will get away with it. It is a much better option than being honest and unemployed for the next 10 years while he spins his wheels hoping to find an "understanding employer". That is the best advice anyone can give him other than the cease and desist letter and trying to get his past employers to shut up.
And if they do get caught? Instant termination. And a justified blackballing.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,417,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And if they do get caught? Instant termination. And a justified blackballing.
With that company. Like I said, plenty of fish in the sea. Besides the OP is no worse off. He is unemployed now.

Besides once you get past the third party background screening you are good. So the OP should find out rather quickly if he/she is successful.

I think you guys overestimate how in depth a typical background check is. A typical low/mid level position will check for drug use, criminal history, sometimes credit, and for reference check some low paid worker at a BI checking company is going to call the number and verify the references and employment and send a report back to the company. IF they call the number and someone at that number says ACME inc yes this person worked here as a widget assembler from X to X and was a great employee They send the report back to the hiring company. That is it they don't recheck in 6 months or whatever it costs money.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 01-16-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,779,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How are the previous employers lying?

Question: Would you rehire OP?
Employer: No, OP is not eligible for rehire

Question: Can you elaborate?
Employer: OP wasn't a team player, didn't get along with managers and other staff members. Then OP left without any notice.

As a potential employer, OP would not get hired. How is this untruthful? This is not a lawsuit.
I cannot imagine any responsible company answering the second question.

Dates of employment and eligible for rehire are about the only ones that are typically answered. Sometimes people would answer whether they had given notice before leaving. But often not.

I have called for references on people who told me that they got into fist fights at work, were chronically late and missed shifts, had psychotic breaks on the job... whose jobs had gone terribly awry.

Not a single employer ever mentioned these things. Not one in years.

I would always start by saying I was calling to get a work reference on so-and-so. I had one supervisor respond to this by saying he was glad the person was well enough to work again.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-16-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 03:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,730,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I cannot imagine any responsible company answering the second question.

Dates of employment and eligible for rehire are about the only ones that are typically answered. Sometimes people would answer whether they had given notice before leaving. But often not.

I have called for references on people who told me that they got into fist fights at work, were chronically late and missed shifts, had psychotic breaks on the job...

Not a single employer ever mentioned these things. Not one in years.

I would always start by saying I was calling to get a work reference on so-and-so. I had one supervisor respond to this by saying he was glad the person was well enough to work again.
I agree! It's just an example of a truthful statement. It does happen. I have had it happen several times! Once I called for reference and the employer said the girl was the worst employee and he would never hire her again. It was shocking.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,893,210 times
Quote:
I can understand a company's perspective if I was a complete loser who never accomplished anything in life. But how long should I suffer for quiting a job that I wasn't contracted to be at forever. It was at will employment.
When I am hiring someone I look at their entire record. If they have some questionable incidents I look to see what they have done since then to ensure that they will not repeat their mistakes. The passage of time is not enough (IMO).

Quote:
Plus it's like a marriage just because I walked out and divorced one person because of the way they acted towards me should I never find love again because the person is saying what I did without taking responsibility for their role. Employers should realize that 99% of the world won't leave a happy good situation just for the heck of it. Obviously my employers did something's to push be to the point of leaving.
Work is not really like a personal relationship. All employers have to go on is what you have done in the past. As a hiring manager have no reason to think that you would act any differently towards my company than you did towards any other company. Leaving without notice is a really big deal.

Plus-I wouldn't hire anyone who told me that they left a job because they didn't like their coworkers and their coworkers didn't like them. IMO those are not reasons to leave a job. I have worked with plenty of people I didn't like and I am sure that there have been those who don't like me. You need a better explanation of why you left those jobs. Just say it wasn't a good fit.

Quote:
Why won't or don't employers think we'll what did the last company do to make him or her behave that way. When someone tells me about things someone did to them I always think we'll what did you do to make them do that to you. My natural instinct is to hold everyone accountable.... Two sides is all I'm saying
A person is accountable for their actions REGARDLESS of what the other party did. Someone acting unprofessionally to you is not an excuse for you to be unprofessional.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:21 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,779,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I agree! It's just an example of a truthful statement. It does happen. I have had it happen several times! Once I called for reference and the employer said the girl was the worst employee and he would never hire her again. It was shocking.
That's what I expected, Oh, but no.

In at least two situations, the police had been involved in removing the person from the premises.

Nary a word.

Dates of employment, eligible for rehire, that was it.

One time I called to verify the skills of a welder, explaining that I was trying to help him find a new position and wanted to be sure he was applying for jobs that would fit his skill level. Was told that they didn't give out that information.

Which is what I was told whenever I asked for more information beyond dates of employment and eligibility for rehire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search