Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 04:05 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times

Advertisements

Last two jobs the other employees didn't like you and you didn't like them?? Was this from the start or a buildup? Seems this is the common factor you need to examine.

You are not at work to make friends, you are there to do whatever someone is paying you to do.

NO job for three years after basically walking off two in a row? You should not be collecting ANY unemployment.

Maybe we should start a POLL ... Do you "like" your co-workers? (be honest) Yes, No, Don't have an opinion either way. I have about 100 co-workers counting both shifts .. I "like" three or four of them .. the rest are just co-workers but I dislike NO-ONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 04:17 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Not true at all. An employer can share anything that is true about the employee. Don't waste your money.
I have talked with many people in HR and they all had the policy when called about a previous employee they would confirm dates of employment and they all had a no re-hire policy so a re-hire question was moot.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:29 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Start with temping and work your way back up. It sucks, but 3 years is a long time.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:38 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I have talked with many people in HR and they all had the policy when called about a previous employee they would confirm dates of employment and they all had a no re-hire policy so a re-hire question was moot.
Policy and legally are two entirely different definitions. Legally the employer can say what is truthful. The company may have a policy not to.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Bear in mind, when one employer asks another "Would you rehire?", most view anything other than a definitive "yes" as "No".

Your job as an employee is to always get an answer that is a definitive "Yes".

The OP failed; hence the OP has spent 3 years unemployed.

Time to start over, in that event. Rebuild a reputation employers want.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Did you read your link? That's not at all what it says. There are maybe two states you can't talk about job performance, but can say why the person is terminated as long as it's truthful.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I think they should pass a law against employees that throw away job applications. So many people make the mistake of handing their application to a random employee who will promise to deliver the application to the decision maker, but the applications ends up never getting to them and instead getting lost or deliberately thrown away. What business does an employee have of trying to dictate who and who can't work there?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:30 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
So I've been unemployed for almost three years. It's not for a lack of applying. I was blackballed by my two former employers for quitting without notice. I hated my bosses and coworkers and they hated me. So I quit. I can't omit these employers because they take up five years of work history. Prior to quiting there were never any complaints about my work it just wasn't a good cultural fit at either place. Each of them actually asked me to stay when Ingave notice, So over the last few years I've made it through many interview processes mainly to the last round of three or four rounds and instead of calling references that I provide the companies contact my old employers who say not to hire me. They never even reach out to the references that I list only to the company HR TEAMS and prior managers

So I recently had an phone interview with a HR manager for a corporate position. That goes well and he tells me the hiring manager is apprehensive about speaking to me since I haven't worked in so long, I can understand that. He goes on to say that the hiring manager will not even grant me an interview unless I provide him the names of my last two managers to call. I hated each of my last managers but would be willing to provide references from organizations that I've volunteered at over the last couple years. He says no he wants my hiring managers info before he will even schedule a phone interview with me and the hiring manager. What would you do?

How long should a person be punished for leaving a job or jobs on bad terms?
One has to wonder if you were there for as long why you left on the terms that you did, so there must be a story to tell and a way for you to explain what happened. Since you aren't getting to that final interview anyway, I would give my version of it, in great detail, than to allow my former employees the chance to throw me under the bus. I have to wonder if you are getting so far in the process, why this conversation has not occurred in the process of the few interviews you did have.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:04 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
Quote:
I think they should pass a law against employees that throw away job applications. So many people make the mistake of handing their application to a random employee who will promise to deliver the application to the decision maker, but the applications ends up never getting to them and instead getting lost or deliberately thrown away. What business does an employee have of trying to dictate who and who can't work there?
And this has exactly what to do with the topic at hand?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Going back to your original question, you have not been rejected for the position. You have been told they want to see your references, before they want to take the time to interview you. That is a simple and normal request, for any company to make. If a person does not give list of previous jobs and references, for all they know you are lying and you do not have any education or qualifications for the job.

They may never call them before they interview you, but they are not going to interview you until you enter this information in your application. Of course it is the same for all applicants, those currently working, and those that have been unemployed for a long period of time. There are certain things that they require on an application, and this is always one of them no matter what your current or past employment has been.

Quote:
What you don't understand is that they do put them into the stack of applications, not just throw them away. Then someone spends 30 seconds for a first scan of the applications and eliminates most of them as they do not fit the job requirements to be hired. Only a small percentage of them, will even be considered for an interview as they meet what the company is looking for and will be sent to the HM for a decision. From that group, maybe 5 or 10 will be chosen for a phone or personal interview.

For many jobs, the majority of the applications (there may be hundreds) will be rejected, before they ever go to the HM. The HM is an important person in the work chain, and they do not have the time to review all applications as it would interfere too much with their other job duties. The person doing the first check, is a low paid employee that can read and understands what the HM wants to see on the applications that are sent to him/her. If the application meets or exceeds those specifications, the HM gets them. If not, the HM never sees them as they do not fit the companies specifications for that particular job. Just because you feel you would like a certain job, does not mean the company thinks you are the one they want to hire.

Example the job is going to involve managing a group of employees doing piece work at a factory in Los Angeles California. The application asks what languages do you speak. As 46%+ of Los Angeles is Hispanic, where a lot of them do not speak English very well, if you do not state you speak Spanish and can prove it at an interview, no matter how much education you have and how much experience you have at the type of job is open, you will be one of the first applications that are rejected. They are going to hire someone that speaks Spanish well enough to be able to effectively communicate with the people they will be supervising.

It is foolish to think that applications are just thrown away if you cannot get them to the top person doing the hiring. The application is going to be taken by anyone in the office and placed in the pile to be reviewed. But if you do not meet the job specifications as the company sees them, your application will be rejected long before the HM sees any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search