Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 PM

22 posts, read 24,340 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to start job hunting; my new years resolution is to make more money and gain new experiences. I think one of my biggest problems is that I am completely clueless about writing cover letters. I've tried to go research and have still not yet learned the proper method for writing a cover letter.

Most blogs suggest writing about why I would be fitting for the job; however, when I read what I wrote, it sounds childishly boastful and unappealing. My only job experience is customer service, so I have to make that sound fitting for the jobs I am applying for. Many of the jobs are clerical positions.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Cover letters usually are nothing more than tooting one's horn. Having worked in HR for many years, it was extremely rare that anyone's cover letter was the criteria for them securing an interview. Their experience and qualifications listed on the resume was what drew the recruiter's attention. In fact, all cover letters were immediately stapled to the back of the resume. Any letters of recommendation were tossed.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:06 AM

22 posts, read 24,340 times
It's interesting that you say that... It seems I get mixed signals; lots of people tell me cover letters are ignored and then many others tell me that cover letters are vital for catching the attention of potential employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Cover letters usually are nothing more than tooting one's horn. Having worked in HR for many years, it was extremely rare that anyone's cover letter was the criteria for them securing an interview. Their experience and qualifications listed on the resume was what drew the recruiter's attention. In fact, all cover letters were immediately stapled to the back of the resume. Any letters of recommendation were tossed.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:10 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Keep it short and concise. Employers don't have all day.

No gimmicks.

Focus on making your resume excellent.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I always look for a specific requirement in the job description. For example "excellent sales experience", and add that to my resume. "in 2014 I exceeded sales goals by 25% by bringing in two new clients" etc. etc. etc.

It seems mixed nowadays whether cover letters are necessary. It could be industry specific. I have always found if I include a great cover letter, I get an interview. When I don't, nothing happens.

Case in point, years ago hubby was nice enough to fax over (yes years ago like I said!) my resume. I wasn't getting any calls. I asked to see the cover letter. It said "here is my resume thanks for your consideration". Um no. I rewrote the cover letter for each employer, faxed ten resumes, and got ten interviews.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:51 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownlifestyle View Post
It's interesting that you say that... It seems I get mixed signals; lots of people tell me cover letters are ignored and then many others tell me that cover letters are vital for catching the attention of potential employers.
And you are correct in that each recruiter may have different preferences.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:35 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
https://hbr.org/2009/06/the-best-cover-letter/

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
^^ Yep. Short, sweet. References relevant skills/experience. People like that.
(Business like with some personality, with out BS or wasting their time.)

Refers them to the resume.
Get's them to look at -- or at least NOT TOSS -- the resume.

Obviously, if you've got some other "IN" use that. His manager/colleague Joe Blow suggested you contact him, etc. Or you met him at a trade show, etc. OR you recently read that his company would be expanding X project, etc. But even then one sentence on that is enough.

Last edited by rdflk; 01-16-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM

431 posts, read 599,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Cover letters usually are nothing more than tooting one's horn. Having worked in HR for many years, it was extremely rare that anyone's cover letter was the criteria for them securing an interview.
We always ask for a cover letter in all our job advertisements. Not providing one means your application is taking a one way trip to the round file.

As for what it should cover, the best ones I see address the position specifically and explain why the applicant thinks they are a fit for it. They can also be used to address any shortcomings relevant to the job. What they shouldn't do is cover the same ground as the resume.

A well written cover letter will encourage me to look at the resume more deeply.

Last edited by mrwibble; 01-16-2015 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 12:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I always look for a specific requirement in the job description. For example "excellent sales experience", and add that to my resume. "in 2014 I exceeded sales goals by 25% by bringing in two new clients" etc. etc. etc.
This ^^^ trick, OP, is how you keep from sounding "childishly boastful."

Listing your accomplishments that affected the company in a positive way is NOT bragging. It's simply stating facts. You aren't saying, "I'm the best salesperson they ever had!" You're showing it with specific examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search