Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,582,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I'd be happy that they let me know the position is filled and I am no longer under consideration. You know, as opposed to a bottomless vortex where you never hear back at all.

Exactly.

OP, be thankful you were given a status, even if it isn't the one you wanted to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM

5,620 posts, read 5,913,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCoriander View Post
Be happy you get *any* sort of notification these days. Job-hunting etiquette has gone down the tubes.

Two years ago I received an actual paper letter notifying me that I didn't get the job. I about fell over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, but it was for a job you applied to in 1989.

I usually don't hear anything but sometimes I do get an email and one was for a job I applied to 4 or 5 months prior. I had nearly forgotten about it! It is nice to at least know instead of just wondering.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,039,290 times
Typical yuppie passive aggressive behavior.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,855,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I just received a rejection notice that someone else filled a position I had applied for. Which has me thinking...

Every company now seems to send out a pleasant rejection email to the candidates who applied for the position and did not get hired.

Usually it has flowery language thanking you for applying, encouraging you that you were a good candidate but someone else had skills which better "fit" the position. Encouraging you to keep applying for other positions.

Yet, half or more of the applicants likely have no chance in hades of getting a job, there skills are a complete mismatch, or they have nowhere near the knowledge or experience needed.

I know it is basically automated and recruiters have no time to personally reply, but it would be so helpful to have a little more honesty in these replies.

I know, keep dreaming.
Often they have a variety of rejection letters. They don't typically send one to encourage you to keep applying if they don't mean it. If they don't want you to apply again they will remove this statement. As to who gets a letter, it depends on the organization. Some only send it to people who are interviewed. Others send it to all applicants. If they use an ATS then you may get an auto notice the position has closed. Or you might hear nothing.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,336,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, but it was for a job you applied to in 1989.
Haha. Last year I received a form letter in the mail telling me I was not a good candidate, but cheers for playing along. I had to stare at it for the longest time before I realized I'd sent that company a CV 9-mos before, whilst living in another state. The rejection letter was forwarded to me & I'd forgotten about them long ago.

I don't expect to be notified anymore. What I find happens more often than not is, if applying online, I'll get an email saying, 'Thank you for applying to our company. We'll call you if...' once the initial resume is received. That way they're covered & one doesn't need to wonder if they have received it. When doing so, I hit Enter & forget & am always stunned when I get a call back.

I'm also finding that interviews are feast or famine. Not sure if others are finding the same (depends on the field, I suppose), but these days, everyone calls me or no one does.

Good luck, OP. I'm interviewing, too, so I do understand your frustrations.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,536,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I just received a rejection notice that someone else filled a position I had applied for. Which has me thinking...

Every company now seems to send out a pleasant rejection email to the candidates who applied for the position and did not get hired.

Usually it has flowery language thanking you for applying, encouraging you that you were a good candidate but someone else had skills which better "fit" the position. Encouraging you to keep applying for other positions.

Yet, half or more of the applicants likely have no chance in hades of getting a job, there skills are a complete mismatch, or they have nowhere near the knowledge or experience needed.

I know it is basically automated and recruiters have no time to personally reply, but it would be so helpful to have a little more honesty in these replies.

I know, keep dreaming.
I'll take it. I can't count how many times I was flat ignored or jerked around by a potential employer instead of just being told I didn't get the job.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,687,628 times
Dear Boosane:

Thank you for your interest in Wayne Industries, and the time you spent speaking with us in regards to the Associate I position in our Gotham office.

Unfortunately, though your qualifications are good, we have selected another candidate whose experience more closely matches the requirements for the position.

Again, we sincerely appreciate your time and effort in this matter, and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

The bolded is probably the most irritating set of words I've come across in my job search.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,909,769 times
If you were not interviewed and it's just a notice saying the position has been filled most likely the job was never open to begin with so you should never take those types of rejection seriously. Lots of companies have to give outsiders an equal chance of applying to jobs so they usually make it seem like the position is open when it's really not.

I worked at a company for 6 years that did this all the time

Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,952,844 times
Although I am not surprised by a couple of the more aggressive replies here, I really anmnot angry, upset, or truly curious to the actual status, or anything like that. (Well, more or less I know why I generally get rejections, and it is mostly salary based as my current pay is rather high in this market already and my experience is mostly very specific technically (although I have some more broad based managerial experience now as well).

Just more or less observing how everyone seems to now do the same generic pleasant and flowery sounding reject form letters.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM

5,889 posts, read 3,881,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Unfortunately, though your qualifications are good, we have selected another candidate whose experience more closely matches the requirements for the position.

The bolded is probably the most irritating set of words I've come across in my job search.
Look at the bright side. When the more experienced candidate walks out about after a week, you may turn out to be the dream candidate they've always wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search