Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 AM

10,263 posts, read 13,783,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever received offers after waiting 3 weeks and beyond?

I had an in-person interview almost 3 weeks ago and I personally felt it went good. The hiring manager implied that I was practically the 1st person to have interviewed for the position. He wasn't very clear on when exactly they would be getting back to me, but did say somewhere around the end of January/beginning of Feb. He said they were looking to hire 3 people for 3 openings and wants them to all start on the same day for training purposes.

On Taleo, the job is still open if that makes a difference.

Thanks very much everyone.
Once I didn't get called for an interview until about six weeks after the application was sent. I had already gotten another job by the time they called me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 11:49 AM

920 posts, read 629,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Once I didn't get called for an interview until about six weeks after the application was sent. I had already gotten another job by the time they called me.

LOL - I had the same experience. I had applied for several interesting job openings at one point and when I got the call for this interview about 2 months later, I had to ask the person on the phone, "what company is this for, again?" Luckily, it was worth the wait! I got the job and stayed there for over 8 years. Best job ever. Sadly, the company merged with another one and moved the headquarters to a place I would never want to live.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,682,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Boosane: Wait until early Feb then. If they told you it would be late Jan-early Feb, wait to hear back from them. If they don't contact you by the second week in Feb, contact them then. It shows patience but follow through. Give them time. Don't be too needy.
Thank you. Yeah, I think I'll do just that. It's extremely tempting to just call the recruiter and get it over with, but the last time I did that, I got a rejection letter an hour after calling her. I think I'll try to be patient this time.

I keep reading about how prolonged silence is never a good thing in job hunting so I guess that's what's unnerving. I also keep reading how most people get a call back within a few days to a week at the latest if they are successful. But I guess all I can do is have hope and keep applying to other jobs.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
The process length is different for every company, circumstances, and HR department. For an example, my company has an opening on my team and it posted on 12/1/14. A week later, I was told there was only one qualified candidate they were considering...

The position is 'legitimate', meaning there's money for it and they plan to fill it and the hiring manager wants it filled ASAP as it is a critical role for the organization; however, I asked yesterday on the status... They still have not interviewed the person. HR can be slowwwwwwwwwww.

Also, when I was hired, they knew they wanted me. They probably told HR to hire me right after my 2nd interview, yet I did not hear back for weeks. Why? The HR lady in charge of my file went on vacation and hadn't even called references yet. I bugged her the day she got back in and she couldn't find my references information. 30 minutes later, she called back saying that she had found it on her desk, references were called immediately, and I had an offer letter 30mins later. Silly HR.
Thank you. I'm not very familiar with the process of bringing someone in for an interview. I always thought the hiring manager decides who to bring in for interviews, while the HR people just facilitates and does the phone screens. For this particular position, I had 3 phone interviews with the company's HR before I went to the in-person interview with the hiring manager. At the end of the 2nd interview, I was told that my resume would be sent to the hiring manager to see if they're interested at all. Soon after, I received an invitation for a 3rd phone interview with HR.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Thank you. I think that's way too long. I do wonder why it could take that long to call someone in for an interview?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
LOL - I had the same experience. I had applied for several interesting job openings at one point and when I got the call for this interview about 2 months later, I had to ask the person on the phone, "what company is this for, again?" Luckily, it was worth the wait! I got the job and stayed there for over 8 years. Best job ever. Sadly, the company merged with another one and moved the headquarters to a place I would never want to live.
Did you ever find out why it took them 2 months later to give you a call? Glad you got the job however!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Yes, November of 2012, had a interview the first week of November

Verbal Job Offer came the 2nd week of Decemeber

Written offer came a week later

So the offer came about 6 weeks after the interview. But during that process I did send 2 follow up emails in regards to the position. I never followed up by phone only email

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Yes, November of 2012, had a interview the first week of November

Verbal Job Offer came the 2nd week of Decemeber

Written offer came a week later

So the offer came about 6 weeks after the interview. But during that process I did send 2 follow up emails in regards to the position. I never followed up by phone only email
Thank you. Do you recommend that I email my HR contact or the hiring manager directly? Do you remember why it took them so long by the way?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 PM

10,263 posts, read 13,783,069 times
Quote:
Thank you. I think that's way too long. I do wonder why it could take that long to call someone in for an interview?
No idea why it took them so long but they really wanted me to interview after the six week wait. Two people called me to interview but I had already taken another job.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Thank you. Do you recommend that I email my HR contact or the hiring manager directly? Do you remember why it took them so long by the way?

I guess it's a little longer when it comes to government jobs. I would email as a follow up so that they can respond when they get time. No point in calling and having a phone conversation that maybe arkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search