Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 54,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Contracts get work stoppages all the time. If you've only been in this business for 3 years, you might not understand how companies get their workload. I suggest you bone up on that before deciding a company who may want to hire you is stupid for flying you up and wasting their money.

I understand how workload works. That is why I ask about it in the interview. I don't think they're stupid, I think they're shady.

when I was told "look at all this work, we need engineers", I took it to mean just that. Also, if a big contract had a stoppage, I think they would say that. Their call was "we re-looked at our work load and it doesn't appear we have enough for you". You just re-looked at your work load? A month before I was suppose to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
If you told them about the misdemeanors (they didn't find out from someplace else) then it seems unlikely that that is the reason.

Having said that, if that was the reason, it is not necessarily illegal for them to discriminate against you on that basis. Misdemeanors can show up in background checks depending on the court records and the state it was in.

Whatever the legality of the discrimination or the practicality of your filing suit over it, this seems to me more a junction of 'what kind of person are you' -- you did the right thing in being honest and up front. As an employer, I respect that. If they got cold feet over that, and you sued them, you're no longer honest and up front - you're daring them to disapprove of your convictions and threatening a lawsuit over it. There are a lot of variables we don't know here but anti-discrimination statutes are typically in place to protect things over which you have little to no control or which we've singled out for special protection (race, age, sexual orientation, marital status, family status) and even those are inconsistent from one state to the next.

I really can't imagine that they'd care about misdemeanors unless you need security clearance for the job, or unless your record could open them up to liability in the event that someone can connect the dots between a mistake you might make and your record. That seems pretty far-fetched. Don't be confrontational about why they aren't offering the job; you aren't entitled to the job. Stick with your initial impulse. No reason to feel much shame over making a mistake as a kid and you handled it well. Keep looking and be gracious to them; even if for some reason you do end up suing them, your own conduct needs to be spotless. In the more likely event that you don't, they'll remember you as up-front and honest guy and not 'guy who didn't believe us when we told him why we couldn't hire him.'
I would never sue them. I don't care about discrimination. I was only told by some people that perhaps they lied because they didn't want to risk that happening. Even if they told me it was because of my background I would say "okay fair enough". I have zero interest in pursuing anything of that sort. My only concern was "wow would they really lie to potentially avoid something like a lawsuit, even though I would never do that?"

Old 01-23-2015, 02:06 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBoxSteve View Post
No one drops $600 on a person for a weekend long interview, including a flight, only to realize they don't have the work to sustain that person.
I disagree, only based on my own kids' experiences.

One of my sons flew to 4 different cities to interview with different companies, all flights, hotels, etc. paid for by the companies. He got offers from some, but rejections from others.

My other son was brought in for an all day interview, put up in a hotel, given meal allowances, etc. He was told they were not actually hiring right now, but just stocking their potential pool of qualified people!

Both situations turned out great though! Both now have AWESOME jobs. Yes, some college graduates do get very well paid positions, not just minimum wage jobs.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
There are very few states in which having a criminal record is a protected class - meaning that in most cases, they can discriminate against you because of it if they want to. Whether that is what happened here, it's impossible to say. But it's not at all uncommon for companies to post a position and go through the interview process and even make an offer, only to find out that their budget for that employee didn't get approved after all.

And if they asked you to stay in touch, it seems less likely that they had something against you personally and more likely that the job they thought they had ended up disappearing. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off, if this is an opportunity you do want, long term. I have personally experienced being a second place candidate who ended up getting the job when the first place person didn't work out, and I know others who went through what you went through, with a job that ended up poofing, but they still ultimately ended up with that organization.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:28 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
As much as it sucks to lose a job like this especially when it came as tantalizingly close as receiving the actual offer letter, the real reason for rescinding the offer doesn't really matter, you still won't have this job. Don't torture yourself with trying to second guess their reasons or thinking how silly it is for them to waste money on the interview itself. I've had this happen to me twice from Fortune 500 companies who really should have their acts together. In once case, a higher manager knew about budget constraints the actually hiring manager didn't know about. In the second case, the given reason was a massive reorganization but they eventually came back to me several months later with a re-offer. Perhaps the real reason is they hired someone else and he/she didn't work out. Just move on and look for something else.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:30 PM

Thanks all. I probably should've left some of that lawyer stuff out of the OP. It was context, simply something someone said to me. I don't believe I am a protected class. I just wasn't sure if they were afraid to be honest. I don't think I deserve special treatment. I just want honesty. And since most of my background is with my current firm who are pretty darn bad at being honest, I have little to judge on.

I'd love the job. But now I just feel iffy if they come back to me. I made it clear I need to switch jobs now, and that I'll be looking ASAP. I already have other leads and phone interviews.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
As much as it sucks to lose a job like this especially when it came as tantalizingly close as receiving the actual offer letter, the real reason for rescinding the offer doesn't really matter, you still won't have this job. Don't torture yourself with trying to second guess their reasons or thinking how silly it is for them to waste money on the interview itself. I've had this happen to me twice from Fortune 500 companies who really should have their acts together. In once case, a higher manager knew about budget constraints the actually hiring manager didn't know about. In the second case, the given reason was a massive reorganization but they eventually came back to me several months later with a re-offer. Perhaps the real reason is they hired someone else and he/she didn't work out. Just move on and look for something else.
Boom. I felt stupid posting this anyway. I immediately knew what my answer is: it doesn't matter. No job, in the past, who cares what for. Time to move on and keep looking.

I suppose my real post should've been more along the lines of "can I still get a job?" My worry was it was background related, hence I should give up because no one will want me. In reality they told me my references were fantastic, and 5 years is enough time to show I've got my act together.

Anyway, enough asking questions about the past. Time to keep looking. And hey, it could be a really good thing. While I liked the area it wasn't my top choice. So maybe I'll find a job where I really wanted to go.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:43 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Quote:
I recently interview for a job in the SE. The job is in the civil engineering field. I have approximately 3 years of experience, this was a entry/mid level position. I've long been unhappy at my current employer. This job was perfect in a lot of ways, (seemingly) good people, the area of engineering I want to get into, and it was a physical move (which I want).

They flew me down (on their dime) and made a decent offer some weeks later. A little negotiation and I had what I wanted. They, unlike most places, followed the law and the offer letter was "contingent on a satisfactory background check" (most states don't let you ask about criminal backgrounds prior to an interview).

Needless to say I was up front about my past. I have two prior misdemeanors from college, I explained, and was honest. I was told this wouldn't be an issue but they want to get the full report before it's final.

A week later I was called (actually emailed at 5pm one night to set up a time to call). I was told my background was no issue, however, their backlog is less than expected and cannot take someone of my level on at this time.

I asked if this was due to my background, they "wanted to strongly make sure I understand it wasn't due to that, it was a work load issue". They want me to keep in touch should something change in the next 6 months.

Obviously I will never work for them. I have two options, believe what they said or believe they didn't want a discrimination suit based on denying me over a background. However the latter is absurd, a) their offer letter was clear, I signed it. b) why would I really hire a lawyer to go through all that?

If indeed they were telling the truth, they are a god awful business. No one drops $600 on a person for a weekend long interview, including a flight, only to realize they don't have the work to sustain that person. That seems equally absurd, especially because during the interview it was made known their business is picking up (they've been hiring).

Does anyone have any information to offer up to this? In my view, no matter what the reasoning, that was poor business practice. I was honest and up front. I also have a signed letter from them that has nothing about it being based upon work load. If they come ringing in 6 months I hope I will have a job, but if not, will honestly tell them I can't trust them.

As a side note, this type of engineering is difficult to break into. This shady last minute decision has me worried my prior record could screw me. I've had enough of typical engineering firms and if I have to continue at this one I might as well give up the engineering career. It seems sad that a good person, with a great background, who wants to work hard, but made mistakes in college, may not be able to do so.
I doubt your background is the issue, but suspect they planned on expansion with either a current or new contract, and you were their "fix" to do the increased engineering work/workload, and the work or contract was delayed - probably by 6 months; hence the "keep in touch" for things "changing."

As for the "they've been hiring" statement, that may be true; but labor is different than management is different than engineers, is different than book keepers/accountants, so who they are hiring and the skills they are hiring (pick anything other than engineers) may have nothing to do with the timing of hiring other skills (engineers).

Old 01-23-2015, 03:16 PM

772 posts, read 913,286 times
Quote:
I recently interview for a job in the SE. The job is in the civil engineering field. I have approximately 3 years of experience, this was a entry/mid level position. I've long been unhappy at my current employer. This job was perfect in a lot of ways, (seemingly) good people, the area of engineering I want to get into, and it was a physical move (which I want).

They flew me down (on their dime) and made a decent offer some weeks later. A little negotiation and I had what I wanted. They, unlike most places, followed the law and the offer letter was "contingent on a satisfactory background check" (most states don't let you ask about criminal backgrounds prior to an interview).

Needless to say I was up front about my past. I have two prior misdemeanors from college, I explained, and was honest. I was told this wouldn't be an issue but they want to get the full report before it's final.

A week later I was called (actually emailed at 5pm one night to set up a time to call). I was told my background was no issue, however, their backlog is less than expected and cannot take someone of my level on at this time.

I asked if this was due to my background, they "wanted to strongly make sure I understand it wasn't due to that, it was a work load issue". They want me to keep in touch should something change in the next 6 months.

Obviously I will never work for them. I have two options, believe what they said or believe they didn't want a discrimination suit based on denying me over a background. However the latter is absurd, a) their offer letter was clear, I signed it. b) why would I really hire a lawyer to go through all that?

If indeed they were telling the truth, they are a god awful business. No one drops $600 on a person for a weekend long interview, including a flight, only to realize they don't have the work to sustain that person. That seems equally absurd, especially because during the interview it was made known their business is picking up (they've been hiring).

Does anyone have any information to offer up to this? In my view, no matter what the reasoning, that was poor business practice. I was honest and up front. I also have a signed letter from them that has nothing about it being based upon work load. If they come ringing in 6 months I hope I will have a job, but if not, will honestly tell them I can't trust them.

As a side note, this type of engineering is difficult to break into. This shady last minute decision has me worried my prior record could screw me. I've had enough of typical engineering firms and if I have to continue at this one I might as well give up the engineering career. It seems sad that a good person, with a great background, who wants to work hard, but made mistakes in college, may not be able to do so.

Yes, they don't want to hire you based on your background. Get over it. No, you can't sue, because they aren't stupid and made it clear their workload changed.

What did you do anyway ? public nudity ?

Why shouldn't and wouldn't they hire someone else who wasn't a wild man in college and may still be ?

Misdemeters aren't that bad, but I hate convicted felone crying because they can't find a job.. Really ? there is a reason I don't rob the liquor store down the road, its because I don't want to go to jail, and I want to keep my job.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Yes, they don't want to hire you based on your background. Get over it. No, you can't sue, because they aren't stupid and made it clear their workload changed.

What did you do anyway ? public nudity ?

Why shouldn't and wouldn't they hire someone else who wasn't a wild man in college and may still be ?

Misdemeters aren't that bad, but I hate convicted felone crying because they can't find a job.. Really ? there is a reason I don't rob the liquor store down the road, its because I don't want to go to jail, and I want to keep my job.
That is cool, I wouldn't hire someone who writes "Misdemeters" or "felone". But to each their own buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search