Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:44 PM

405 posts, read 573,282 times

Advertisements

I find this a waste of time and unnecessary when my 1st interview could have been with the 2 people. More time off work and looking more suspicious. This will be my 3rd time going in as I had an interview with the same company for another position that they couldn't set up so I could interview for both positions in the same day. Anyone experience this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Why are you complaining about getting an interview, you should be happy! Everyone goes through this, good luck!

Old 01-29-2015, 04:04 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
The 2nd and 3rd line bosses don't want to be bothered with listening to your first interview if the first interviewer deems you a bad candidate.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
This is common. The first interviewer, selected the ones to be interviewed by the next one. Same with the one doing the second interview. Each interview is with someone in a higher position. To expect the top person to sit in all interviews, is not the way it is going to happen. The top person in the interview chain, only sees a small percentage of people that are interviewed. Their time is too valuable to the company, to waste their time on ones that are eliminated. They have too many duties, to spend their time with a lot of interviews. The majority of the applicants will be eliminated before this person interviews them.

The higher you position, and the more valuable you are to the company. You let low paid people do the first rounds of interviews, to get the number of applicants down to a manageable level. You may hate it, but this is the way it has always been done, and will be done in the future. A $10 an hour clerk, does the first interview, and using the last interviewers set qualifications to select who will be interviewed by a $20 an hour person, so when it finally gets to the $100 an hour employee, who gets hired will not require much of the $100 an hours persons valuable time.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:42 PM

405 posts, read 573,282 times
When I was hiring people I went in first and after I was done I had my small team of 3 go in and interview them as well. I wouldn't think of bringing them back when I could just do it the day they were already there. I guess I'm different.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:59 PM

285 posts, read 534,353 times
I've had this happen. It was annoying and to me it suggested incompetence, because that's not how I arrange things when I'm in the hiring seat. They knew it was an hour drive each way for me, and they had already interviewed me three separate days, each interview only lasting 20-25 minutes. Total waste of my entire day. I ended up withdrawing my application (they had other issues besides the drawn out hiring process though).

Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
When I was hiring people I went in first and after I was done I had my small team of 3 go in and interview them as well. I wouldn't think of bringing them back when I could just do it the day they were already there. I guess I'm different.
Sounds much easier!! However I have never had this happen.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:54 PM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I find this a waste of time and unnecessary when my 1st interview could have been with the 2 people. More time off work and looking more suspicious. This will be my 3rd time going in as I had an interview with the same company for another position that they couldn't set up so I could interview for both positions in the same day. Anyone experience this before?
Yes, I did and worse. I had to take time off (a day) and a couple people were there to interview me but the manager apparently forgot and wasn't there. I never went back. It cost too much.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Yes, I did and worse. I had to take time off (a day) and a couple people were there to interview me but the manager apparently forgot and wasn't there. I never went back. It cost too much.
Did the same thing when they wanted round 2 and round 3 out of me. Round 1 already costs too much money when it's out of town, especially since for my interviews I went into NYC.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM

399 posts, read 568,402 times
I was once asked to come for a second union with the same person that interviewed me the first time. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't to interview me, it was to offer me the job in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search