Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 AM

60 posts, read 140,195 times

Advertisements

I received a job offer in writing, signed and sent back the acceptance letter. I gave a 15-day notice at my current job. I would contact the new company about the progress of my background check, etc, every week, but all I was told was that they'd contact me when everything was ready.

Three days ago I contacted the lady who interviewed me; that night she left a voicemail saying she thinks all the positions are filled, but could I write her a letter with my experience, etc.

I'm waiting to hear back from my last job to see if I have been terminated, or if I can go back to my old position.

I'm heartbroken and possibly unemployed. This would have been my first non-internship in my field; I feel like college was wasted because I can't get a job in my field.

Was it legal to be given the job acceptance letter and then have the job filled (the HR lady never contacted me back; I didn't interview with someone in HR, but with the lady who would've been my boss.)?

Coincidentally, my boyfriend's stepmother works at a similar organization and just had lunch with this organization's new president; the stepmom is miffed about it all and will talk with the president; I'm not expecting more than maybe an apology; obviously the organization has problems.

Any words of advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Speak with an attorney.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Not much you can do. In some states I've heard you can sue based on a principle called detrimental reliance.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Does your offer letter say it is contingent on passing a background test? If so, you gave your notice too soon. If not, you may be able to claim loss consideration.

But first you need to get some straight answers from them, they sound confused.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1nkerbell24 View Post
Three days ago I contacted the lady who interviewed me; that night she left a voicemail saying she thinks all the positions are filled, but could I write her a letter with my experience, etc.
When you contacted her was it directly or was it via email, text or voicemail? If not directly, maybe she interviewed many people for many different positions and your name didn't register. Did you call her back and tell her about the acceptance letter?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 AM

154 posts, read 261,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1nkerbell24 View Post
I received a job offer in writing, signed and sent back the acceptance letter. I gave a 15-day notice at my current job. I would contact the new company about the progress of my background check, etc, every week, but all I was told was that they'd contact me when everything was ready.

I'm waiting to hear back from my last job to see if I have been terminated, or if I can go back to my old position.

I'm heartbroken and possibly unemployed. This would have been my first non-internship in my field; I feel like college was wasted because I can't get a job in my field.

Was it legal to be given the job acceptance letter and then have the job filled (the HR lady never contacted me back; I didn't interview with someone in HR, but with the lady who would've been my boss.)?

Coincidentally, my boyfriend's stepmother works at a similar organization and just had lunch with this organization's new president; the stepmom is miffed about it all and will talk with the president; I'm not expecting more than maybe an apology; obviously the organization has problems.

Any words of advice would be great.
There's nothing more you can do. The world is shady full of selfish people who only look out for themselves. Unfortunately the job you thought you had has been rescinded. You've already asked for you old job back but now they'll look at you suspiciously and it'll more than likely be uncomfortable working there. All you can do is try and keep your head up, keep your current job unless they dismiss you and continue to apply for other jobs. You're unfortunately in a loss loss situation at no fault of your own. Good luck and try and stay positive

Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM

140 posts, read 223,477 times
Yeah I feel bad for you OP, that's completely ridiculous and unprofessional of the company. I don't think you can sue but at the least I would call HR and ask for the head of HR and see what happened in the process. It seems like something in you BGC made them resend the offer or perhaps they were just completely stupid and messed up by hiring too many people then they needed and you got screwed.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
OP, I agree with STT Resident. It almost sounds like your name escaped her memory and she thought you were someone new calling about a job. She already has your resume and is aware of your experience.

You said you contacted her three days ago and she left a message that night. What was the exchange you had with her when you contacted her? If you didn't reach her and left a message, what did you say?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:57 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Did the offer letter include a start date? Why did you put in 15 days notice? I would physically go to this place with the letter in hand and ask the boss what is up!!!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Not any different situation than what I'm in. I've been "hired" for a government job but it is pending the background check (it's taking forever), but the HR person said even though I'm "hired" and I've done the paper work that I shouldn't put in an actual notice at current job because the background check takes a while and offer really is dependent on it coming back.

That said, why did you put in a notice at current job if you don't know when you start the next job? Or if not everything was actually completed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search