Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM

384 posts, read 507,824 times

Advertisements

I've applied for positions I didn't really want, just to alert management that I did want to move - just not to that particular role. It afforded to opportunity to talk about structure and other possibilities in a more formal setting. We have to interview with 2 levels up, so it also helps get face time with that even higher ranking person who isn't always readily available. And its helped in getting in to a position I was interested in, even when that position didn't actually exist at the time of the interview.

I've also been told NOT to apply for certain jobs because "we have other things for you". Which of course means I applied - just to make sure the process for those other things happens in a timely fashion.

Now, if someone tells you they want you for a certain position, but you are sure you do not want it - No, do not apply. Applying, getting their hopes up that they have solved their problem (filling the job), and then turning it down is likely to tick them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I don't know if your company policy is similar to mine but if you officially/formally declare your interest in an internal position (by interviewing, obviously) then your immediate manager is notified. You can't keep it on the downlow as you would for an external position. This could be good or bad depending on your manager.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:59 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I've done this before because it lets people know I am serious about moving on. And for me, it worked.

There was a job I wanted but I knew they had really already decided who they wanted to hire before the job was even posted. I knew they were not going to hire me but they would feel obligated to interview me. It was an opportunity to interview and meet people in that department. It would put me on their radar. They would at least know who I was. My strategy was to interview and be turned down. Then there would be a good chance the NEXT job would be mine.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've done this before because it lets people know I am serious about moving on. And for me, it worked.

There was a job I wanted but I knew they had really already decided who they wanted to hire before the job was even posted. I knew they were not going to hire me but they would feel obligated to interview me. It was an opportunity to interview and meet people in that department. It would put me on their radar. They would at least know who I was. My strategy was to interview and be turned down. Then there would be a good chance the NEXT job would be mine.
I think yours is a different situation ... OP is interviewing with no intention of accepting the offer.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:03 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
One drawback is that, if you really don't want the job, you're not likely to come off well on the interview. Not exactly a positive for future promotions, and not really good "practice" either.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Practice interviewing with people willing to coach you or with external jobs. You will lose all credibility and leave a bad taste in people's mouths if you do that within your company.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Lots to ponder. Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward not applying.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
To learn the process, the kinds of questions asked, practice interviewing.

I hear what you all are saying. Thanks for the advice.
If you want to practice interviewing, apply for an outside job and use that to practice.

Besides wasting your time and theirs at your current company, if you interview and are offered the job and turn it down, it looks really bad. People will question why you did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search