Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:44 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsearcher123 View Post
I do think you have to have nearly perfect interviews to get an offer these days
One awkward, silent pause, or vague answer and you're rejected
Not necessary, you simply have to be truthful. You have to be able to sell yourself in a way that you can answer the questions to your advantage. Don't try to sell yourself when you were not ask. For example, if a possible employer ask you what kind of database knowledge you have, you don't answer them back and say you work very hard, that has nothing to do with what they ask you. So, be relevant, and sell your character whenever possible during the interview question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 02:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I understand the frustration of the OP and it definitely does seem that way. However, to be honest, I have had interviews where I swore to god that I did a PERFECT job, but didn't get an offer. Then I've had interviews that didn't go THAT great, and boom, I get an offer. Really, it's all about chemistry more than anything.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
It's all about who can brown nose and kiss ass the best. Qualifications don't really matter. LOL. Maybe I need to brush up on my ass kissing skills.
I disagree. When I interview people, I'm looking for the genuine, truthful people that are qualified. I will hire someone that is slightly less qualified but more genuine than the slightly more qualified brown noser.

I think a lot of people have trouble with interviews because they try to fake it. All you are doing is having a conversation with the employer, so be yourself. Don't try to be something your not because A) you don't actually know what they are looking for and; B) if you get hired you will be miserable maintaining the fake persona you invented for yourself. The concept of "fit" is just as important on the employee's side of the table.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:25 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Be under 32 years old (28 years old in some industries).
What do you mean? Jobs don't have an age cut off (not that I've heard of anyways) unless you mean the military.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:50 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I think employers today want people to not think so literally.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I disagree. When I interview people, I'm looking for the genuine, truthful people that are qualified. I will hire someone that is slightly less qualified but more genuine than the slightly more qualified brown noser.

I think a lot of people have trouble with interviews because they try to fake it. All you are doing is having a conversation with the employer, so be yourself. Don't try to be something your not because A) you don't actually know what they are looking for and; B) if you get hired you will be miserable maintaining the fake persona you invented for yourself. The concept of "fit" is just as important on the employee's side of the table.
Exactly.

I've said this many times, but I'm going to continue to say it: Most people think they interview significantly better than the actually do. I'm astounded at people I've interviewed who genuinely thought they aced the interview . . . who all but bombed it.

Sometimes they try and project a fake persona, other times they don't answer the questions asked but instead give bizarre and irrelevant answers. Other times, they give short, 2-3 word replies to every single question. Or they don't convince me they actually have any interest in the job whatsoever. (I'm not asking them to jump up and down and do cartwheels, but even 1-2 half decent questions that show me the candidate has thought about the industry or has researched the company can go a long way.)

Old 02-20-2015, 04:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times
I'm an introvert and hardly talk to people unless they're friends and family. I then realized you have to fake it to make it by trying to be an extrovert who cracks jokes every few minutes.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Exactly.

I've said this many times, but I'm going to continue to say it: Most people think they interview significantly better than the actually do. I'm astounded at people I've interviewed who genuinely thought they aced the interview . . . who all but bombed it.

Sometimes they try and project a fake persona, other times they don't answer the questions asked but instead give bizarre and irrelevant answers. Other times, they give short, 2-3 word replies to every single question. Or they don't convince me they actually have any interest in the job whatsoever. (I'm not asking them to jump up and down and do cartwheels, but even 1-2 half decent questions that show me the candidate has thought about the industry or has researched the company can go a long way.)
How exactly do you convince someone that you really want the job? Is it by asking good questions? Is it answering questions in such a way that shows they really want to work at the company and industry?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The problem that so many applicants do not understand in some parts of the country, is there are several truly qualified people for every job that comes available. You may be qualified to a certain point, but someone else is even more qualified. That person will get the job. This is the most common reason, the other person got the job.

You may be a good applicant from the technical point, but your personality does not fit in well with current employees. Another person with the same technical ability as you, has the better fit personality wise. That person will get the job.

Two people will both be qualified for the job, both have the right personality, but one of them gives the impression they will be the best candidate for a promotion in the future, and that person will get the job.

In another part of the country where there is not a big surplus of qualified people, you would have no trouble getting a job, as you will not have so much competition for the job.

Some parts of the country, people are complaining they cannot even get a job at McDonald's. Here in our area t he unemployment is so low that early this week our housekeepers son ( 16 years old ), walked in and asked in they were hiring. Walked around on a tour to show what the employees did. Had fill out an application, and was hired on the spot and started training today. $10 an hour for a very short time, and goes to $ 12an hour. Adults get 14 after training. Their problem is not enough people even want the jobs. This young man has a lousy personality, never smiles, and is shy and has a hard time talking to people. Not the type of young man that would be hired if there were enough applicants. Good kid, and hard worker, so as long as he is not the one working the counter will be a good solid employee. I hire him in the summer to work around our 5 acres with over an acre in lawn so know him.

If you live in an area where 500 people apply for a job, it is almost impossible to get a job as someone is always a better candidate no matter how good you are. In other parts of the country there are lots of jobs. A good solid company wanted to open a facility needing 300 people in our area. Labor office told them to advertise for employees, and find in there were enough applicants to fill the positions. In parts of the country they would have had 1,000s of applicants. Here they got 70 with only about 35 that were qualified. They tried 4 places in the state and got the same results or worse. Are putting in the new facility in another state. This happened several times the past year, according to an article in the major paper who interviewed a top person in the state unemployment office.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:33 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Employers want $$$$$$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search