Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM

685 posts, read 720,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Ah, okay. Well, I worked for a screening company that pulled up background information depending on what the employer selected. Sometimes they were MVRs, criminal record requests, credit checks, etc. You'll know what they're looking for. Companies like Sterling are then given your information and pull up what they need. Basically you'll get either a green or red light. If something comes up that was requested as being forgivable (like a speeding ticket) we would just get a green light. If something that would make you unhireable came up, like a felony, you'd get a red. We would then get more details or look into the more details. Usually if it was green, we gave no sh*ts about details because it mattered not - but we could still peek if we wanted to, and sometimes I would. Only once did we get a "yellow" meaning some information was false, such as a fake license or SSN or weird residences or some sh*t. They usually all ask for the same thing, but sometimes it depends on what job you're going in for, what your duties will be, etc.

Only if we got the red light would we go deeper - so if you somehow get a green, if their system works the same way, you'll be A-OK. Sometimes the hiring manager really liked the person and would excuse the offense, most of the times it meant automatic disqualification no questions asked. I also worked in HR. I will tell you most places WILL verify salary, title, basics about your job title. If the job title could be worded a different way, "Sales Associate" versus "Cashier", they probably won't dig deeper to see if there's a clear issue with salary... they'll usually only look deeper into it if the title has a clear distinction with a salary bump, ie: "Shift Manager" vs "CEO", or if anything comes off as fishy. Sometimes (most of the times) hiring managers notice you stuttered when you said a salary, or when you were asked about your job descriptions, so they will look into it then even if everything else checks out.

That's MY experience with it all.
QUESTION FOR YOU: Sorry, but we've landed on a topic I've wondered about even though I'm no longer in the field. When you have people apply for slots here from India, Brazil, or out of the country can a background check reveal if they really went to the college on their resume? I was a hiring manager and never could tell.

OP: If you want a job, why would you risk lying on your resume?

Last edited by PeaceOut001; 02-22-2015 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Added a question for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
QUESTION FOR YOU: Sorry, but we've landed on a topic I've wondered about even though I'm no longer in the field. When you have people apply for slots here from India, Brazil, or out of the country can a background check reveal if they really went to the college on their resume? I was a hiring manager and never could tell.

Oh, I'm not sure if we could, but I do believe Sterling had the ability to use a SSN trace to pull everything about a candidate. From what I've seen with HireRight, I'm not sure why they couldn't, either. The thing they look for moreso is if they got the degree from that college, not if they just went. A lot of people lie and say they graduated when they only attended a certain college for a semester or two, only needed one more credit to graduate, etc.

So, on my end I'm not sure if you can verify out of country applicants to see if they really went to school where they said they did. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Being "human" is not a suitable excuse for lying. Your resume should be a completely truthful description of your previous employment.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:12 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,896,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I just had a Hire Right background check 4 months ago. Definitely, job title is verified, along with dates of employment, company, salary (most companies won't disclose salary information though), reason for separation along with educational verification, SSN check and criminal background check.
I asked my old boss if I could use him as a reference, and he said that I can put his name down but per their company policy they cannot say anything about me other than the dates I've worked there. Let's say HireRight called my old boss, would they still try to get a reason for separation or will they skip it when the employer says their policy doesn't allow to discuss that?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
From my experience, if a previous company won't disclose a reason for separation, HireRight will simply indicate that the information wasn't disclosed by the company.

For example, during my last HireRight check, the hiring company asked for salary history. I put it down, but these days, most companies won't verify salary information. When these former companies were contacted by HireRight, they indicated: "it's against our company policy to disclose salary information". When I received my copy of the HireRight report back, this reason was indicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I asked my old boss if I could use him as a reference, and he said that I can put his name down but per their company policy they cannot say anything about me other than the dates I've worked there. Let's say HireRight called my old boss, would they still try to get a reason for separation or will they skip it when the employer says their policy doesn't allow to discuss that?

Last edited by ccm123; 02-22-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM

12 posts, read 251,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Being "human" is not a suitable excuse for lying. Your resume should be a completely truthful description of your previous employment.
Just an honest mistake to help revamp my resume, didn't mean anything by it. It's a job experience from over six years ago, didn't think it was going to be a big deal. Sorry for my erroneous mishap, definitely a learning experience.

Overall, thanks for everyone's information as it was helpful. I'll keep you guys informed on the next steps going forward.

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 02-22-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 05:46 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Good luck, I think you'll be fine.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM

12 posts, read 251,868 times
Officially submitted everything through HireRight, so nerve wrecking.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01 View Post
Officially submitted everything through HireRight, so nerve wrecking.
Please let us know how it goes. From what I see if you've edited everything according to the advice given, you should be ok.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:40 PM

154 posts, read 261,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
From HireRight's (Top Five Candidate Lies - HireRight Employment Background Check Blog) website:

Top Five Candidate Lies:

2. Inflating Salary History or Title Held
It’s no surprise that some candidates who are not qualified for a position may lie about titles held to claim expertise and experience they do not have, and they inflate their previous salaries to negotiate better packages than they may be able to obtain otherwise.

In one case, a candidate claiming to have spearheaded many significant merger and acquisition deals at a prior employer, applied for a top finance job at a Wall Street brokerage that was opening an office in Japan. As it turned out, his background check confirmed that he had indeed been highly involved with each of the noted deals—as the staff interpreter!

Edit: So this means I definitely think they do, if they know to be on the lookout for it and wrote an article stating it's the #2 most lied about thing they've found.
Many employers don't like to give due credit and blackball former employees too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search