Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times

Advertisements

Is it your experience or have you witnessed H.R. and/or job recruiters networking with each other regarding potential employees/job applicants within a given area/county/region? I take it for granted that they do it within companies/organizations. But do unrelated businesses or entities do it within a region/area? Ie: Joe Schmo made contact with a job recruiter or H.R. person and the contact/interview did not go well and in the process the H.R. or recruiter got Joe Schmo's name. Will/does he/she get on the net/email to the other connected H.R. recruiter types and post something like "I just spoke to a Joe Schmo, watch out for him. He's got a bad attitude/is angry/something he's hiding etc., etc.," Is it your experience H.R. recruiters that this happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
I have contacted many other companies and told them I had an applicant who I think may be someone they would be interested in. I have received calls from several other companies telling me of a person who they think might be better suited for our company. From time to time we get a call from some company other company warning us of a candidate but its usually not about employment but something else suspicious. I can not remember every getting a call from another company just telling us of someone specific they didn't hire.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
I'm an HR Manager in a specific regional industry (commercial seafood) and it's pretty tight network. We ask or provide info when a name comes our way but there is no shared "black list" nor have I ever heard of one in any industry.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM

154 posts, read 261,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I'm an HR Manager in a specific regional industry (commercial seafood) and it's pretty tight network. We ask or provide info when a name comes our way but there is no shared "black list" nor have I ever heard of one in any industry.
Basically what you're describing is a blacklist.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:54 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
No, I have never personally done this. I have passed on candidates to other companies who were looking--I had a person who was an out-of-work maintenance technician trying to apply for an entry-level assembly job (just to get any kind of job) so sent him down the road to another factory which had a maintenance technician job open and called their HR Manager to let them know I had found them a possible candidate. Of course this was a big deal since the area was rural and skilled help was hard to find--they ended up hiring him.

I have had interviews with candidates where the person seemed bored, distracted, or outright had a negative attitude. I didn't call other area HR managers about that person. It's not legal in many places, and secondly, we all have our 'off' days and the candidates just might have been having bad days and it might have showed in the interviews. They might not have been ideal candidates for the company I was at, but might be just fine for another company (on another day) so why smear them by calling other companies and telling HR about their behavior at the interview? Also, you have to remember that each HR manager is an individual and we all have our own little quirks and different tolerance levels. I have been told I am unusually tolerant (LOL). I once did a joint interview with another HR Manager for a Sales Director position. We interviewed 8 candidates and finally narrowed it down to 3 after 2 rounds of in-person interviews. We had a disagreement about who should be offered the job, and the reason (in my opinion) was really silly: She didn't like my choice for the job because he had worn a Mickey Mouse watch to the job interview!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Thank you all for your input and I DO appreciate it. Yes, I know that I am describing a "blacklist" and officially it is illegal. And I am NOT trying to paint H.R./managers as evil or calculating. But it just makes me suspicious from stories I have heard and makes me wonder if unofficially people in some more rural areas maintain some kind of connection to warn other companies about individuals seeking work in their area that possess qualities overall that they find negative.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Thank you all for your input and I DO appreciate it. Yes, I know that I am describing a "blacklist" and officially it is illegal. And I am NOT trying to paint H.R./managers as evil or calculating. But it just makes me suspicious from stories I have heard and makes me wonder if unofficially people in some more rural areas maintain some kind of connection to warn other companies about individuals seeking work in their area that possess qualities overall that they find negative.
People do and it's not rural areas. I was applying for a job in a major city. I was moving back from out of state. The VP nochantly told me that had called around other major corps in the area asking about me. Mind you these would not have been companies that I had worked for just possibly interviewed for. People are dirty. I don't understand why someone wouldn't form their own opinion but instead seek out dirt on someone. It's one thing if dirt on a person comes up in casual conversation but people actively seek out dirt on other. The word of mouth and unofficial written blackball databases

Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
But it just makes me suspicious from stories I have heard and makes me wonder if unofficially people in some more rural areas maintain some kind of connection to warn other companies about individuals seeking work in their area that possess qualities overall that they find negative.
And that is what they are; stories. Often times the people saying this are those with limited skills, poor interviewing skills, horrible personalities, or some other reason that makes them unsuitable to the companies they are applying. Instead of them saying, "Geez, I need to improve myself" they turn and make the company the bad person. Read many of the threads right here on CD and you will hear over and over from the same losers that so and so did this and that. Those same losers makes companies part of some evil conspiracy of employers out to stomp on the dreams of the poor down trodden working man. Yeah!

Unless you are talking of a specific tightly controlled industry like entertainment, the average company doesn't have the time or desire to care two bits what happens to you when you are rejected by them. We just don't care about you once that door slams, so its just fantasy excuses people use to make themselves feel good about being a reject!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
Basically what you're describing is a blacklist.
Not at all. It's shared information similar to any work reference. I don't contact other seafood companies and tell them "we're letting Jimbo go, don't hire him!" But if Jimbo applies at OtherSeafoods Inc and they contact me I will share honest information.

This is completely legal and something every job hunter should be aware of, job references are not bound by what an applicant lists on his application.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
And that is what they are; stories. Often times the people saying this are those with limited skills, poor interviewing skills, horrible personalities, or some other reason that makes them unsuitable to the companies they are applying. Instead of them saying, "Geez, I need to improve myself" they turn and make the company the bad person. Read many of the threads right here on CD and you will hear over and over from the same losers that so and so did this and that. Those same losers makes companies part of some evil conspiracy of employers out to stomp on the dreams of the poor down trodden working man. Yeah!

Unless you are talking of a specific tightly controlled industry like entertainment, the average company doesn't have the time or desire to care two bits what happens to you when you are rejected by them. We just don't care about you once that door slams, so its just fantasy excuses people use to make themselves feel good about being a reject!
Not true at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search