Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:08 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times

Advertisements

Yes, I majored in Investment Baking (super easy major). However, everyone glosses over my resume and assumes it says Investment BaNking. Now I manage a top investment bank in New York City while knowing how to make a mean bundt cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 08:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Yes, I majored in Investment Baking (super easy major). However, everyone glosses over my resume and assumes it says Investment BaNking. Now I manage a top investment bank in New York City while knowing how to make a mean bundt cake.
LOL

I have a friend who attended the University of Hartford, and when people ask where he went to college, he likes to say "Hartford" real fast so people think he said, "Harvard."

Not the same.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
It prob depends on how much crossover there is between degrees in your industry. But still Id put the exact name of your degree, you dont want to get selected then be accused of lying then get blacklisted.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 PM

685 posts, read 720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
Hear me out (read me out) before you say no. I'm not talking about pretending you got a different degree or anything like that, or making something up.

I double majored in Broadcast Journalism and Political Print Media (aka Political Journalism).

The Political Journalism degree is very, very similar to the Print Journalism degree, you just have to take 4-5 extra classes, and you miss out on 1 or 2 of the Print Journalism capstone classes.

However, I'm now applying for a writing job that has nothing to do with politics, and ever since college I've always kind of wished I just did regular Print Journalism, because it sounds more encompassing on a resume. It just makes you sound a bit more versatile, even though the reality is almost all the classes were exactly the same, and I even took a couple MORE than I would have otherwise.

So, I have a couple of options, which would you recommend?

1. Go ahead and put down "Political Journalism" no matter what?
2. Put down "Print Journalism - Political Science Emphasis"
3. Go ahead and put "Print Journalism" because it sounds better and it's not that big of a deal?

Thanks.
My concern is the name of your thread and using the word "adjusting." In essence,
you're lying (I'm not condemning this, so please hear me out). I worked in IT and at the end of my career for some years, held management positions. You're not adjusting anything.

Information is at our fingertips and if I read your resume and found a mismatch when I did a background search, you would have some explaining to do or because you didn't tell the truth, I'd move on to the next resume. I had too many resumes where people lied and when I did phone interviews, I "busted them" by asking them specific questions about what was on their resume. They fell on their face and I eliminated that person.

I like what one poster said - put what's on your degree. If you had a double major, write that. It's something you should be proud of. Isn't it?

I'm just one of many opinions you're going to get. Then follow your heart and see what gets you
the hits.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:06 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, what's actually printed on the diploma?
My diploma doesn't state my majors. It only says "Bachelor of Science" and the name of the university. I suppose a transcript would list the majors, but nobody's ever asked for it.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:15 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
Hear me out (read me out) before you say no. I'm not talking about pretending you got a different degree or anything like that, or making something up.

I double majored in Broadcast Journalism and Political Print Media (aka Political Journalism).

The Political Journalism degree is very, very similar to the Print Journalism degree, you just have to take 4-5 extra classes, and you miss out on 1 or 2 of the Print Journalism capstone classes.

However, I'm now applying for a writing job that has nothing to do with politics, and ever since college I've always kind of wished I just did regular Print Journalism, because it sounds more encompassing on a resume. It just makes you sound a bit more versatile, even though the reality is almost all the classes were exactly the same, and I even took a couple MORE than I would have otherwise.

So, I have a couple of options, which would you recommend?

1. Go ahead and put down "Political Journalism" no matter what?
2. Put down "Print Journalism - Political Science Emphasis"
3. Go ahead and put "Print Journalism" because it sounds better and it's not that big of a deal?

Thanks.
If the department titles it "Political Print Media," that is what you list. "Four or five extra classes" is not "very, very similar." That may be 12 - 15 credits of a program that is, what, 55 - 75 credits in all?

This is journalism ethics 101.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I have a Bachelor of General Studies. I write Bachelor of General Studies (45 senior credits in TESL), for my teaching resume. I don't think you could possibly change the title without a fib. I sympathize though, for obvious reasons lol...

Old 03-02-2015, 03:04 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
I'd be very careful because in many subjects there are subdisciples that are shown in concentrations. I have a concentration with my undergraduate which technically some can have a full masters degree of but I didn't go that far. I actually read a book on the evolution of the industry (had one chapter on it..dry but true). Anything of a degree can easily be confirmed so personally I would not do it.

Now you can supplement things with online classes and volunteering but I wouldn't claim a degree from that itself.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Put down what you want on your resume, but one the background check form put down the correct major.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:40 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corymartine View Post
Adjusting equals lying to me, I wouldn't risk it. Like it was said, they will verify your degree. If anything I would state how political journalism helped prepare you for print journalism in your cover letter.

This ^^^!

If I were hiring you, and I checked, and there was any discrepancy at all, I would pass on that applicant. I have done that, and I would do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search