Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
3 interviews in 11 months means I was picky just in case you didn't know.
Oh please, the bamboozling is plain daft. You sent out hundreds of applications (documented in previous posts) which resulted in three interviews, two of which came to nothing. That's not you being picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
That can mean the opening was never open to begin with especially if your experience was an exact match for the job. Took me years to realize why I never received a call back after applying to a job I was 95% qualified for based on my experience.
Another fallacy you continue to perpetuate - that if you don't get a callback it means the job listing was "fake". No, it means the prospective employer reviewed your application and didn't feel you were a good enough candidate in comparison to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM

298 posts, read 270,748 times
Some people have given good responses on how to actually answer the question without looking like a fool. Yes, employers post fake ads for nonexistent positions for many reasons. It's a reality. Recruiters admit, managers admit, many others admit it. Yes, they even interview people so they can complete the statistical spreadsheet that goes to the EEOC and to other organizations for reporting and funding purposes. Some non profits get gov't funding based on how many minorities they "hire". All they have to do is prove on paper that they tried in some cases. There is also a lot of favoritism and other personal biases that go on within the hiring process. See Cynthia Shapiro's books: Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them - also What Does Somebody Have to Do to Get a Job Around Here! 44 Insider Secrets and Tips that Will Get You Hired.

The reality is that the business world is not fair. It's up to you to make it work for you whether it is being fair or unfair to you. Being reactive, emotional or confrontational is not going to get you hired or promoted anywhere.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:51 AM

659 posts, read 940,161 times
I think it's about time we report companies that does "false hirings" to the government, we all know they are constantly saying "we're hiring" just for the tax break.....

Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianPumice View Post
The real and only answer is to tell the recruiter what they want to hear. Cook up some B.S. about self-teaching yourself skills, volunteering, or doing temporary gigs.
You don't even have to do that...just fill out the gaps with your previous jobs. Face it...in America, your either getting hustled or you do the hustling.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM

298 posts, read 270,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianPumice View Post
The real and only answer is to tell the recruiter what they want to hear. Cook up some B.S. about self-teaching yourself skills, volunteering, or doing temporary gigs. Don't tell them you went traveling or did some soul-searching, as that is too liberal and/or human for an interviewer to cope with.
That sounds logical. But if they ask for the name and number of the place you volunteered at or some references there? Or names of places you did temp gigs at? That's a lot of making up of fake places and names to do. Applications to ask for all that info.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 PM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
Many of the candidates who have been coming in for interviews have been out of work for a very long time. (8 months or longer). Traditionally our recruiter and hiring managers will try to pin them down and find out why they have been out of work for a long time and what they have been doing while they have been unemployed. Here are some typical responses:

" It's tough out there. I keep trying to find a job but no luck so far."

"I just have not found the right fit for me yet, but I keep trying."
A combination of these two, perhaps.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 PM

51 posts, read 83,223 times
I used to state (because it was honest) that I took time off to travel and go back to school.

If you are unemployed, it's a good idea to make the best use of that time so that you actually have something to show for it at the interview. Sitting static for 2 years doing nothing doesn't look good.

You can pick up volunteer work and things of that nature . .. you will meet people, maybe even land a new job. Do something with your time that you are not working. Then the question will be easier to answer.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsquallhart View Post
I used to state (because it was honest) that I took time off to travel and go back to school.

If you are unemployed, it's a good idea to make the best use of that time so that you actually have something to show for it at the interview. Sitting static for 2 years doing nothing doesn't look good.

You can pick up volunteer work and things of that nature . .. you will meet people, maybe even land a new job. Do something with your time that you are not working. Then the question will be easier to answer.

Wouldn't volunteering take away from job searching?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
FBJ"Wouldn't volunteering take away from job searching?"

Qualified people can multi-task. We are awake 16 hours per day, use 1 to groom, 1 to eat, even after a day volunteering, there are several hours left to devote to searching for jobs.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
FBJ"Wouldn't volunteering take away from job searching?"

Qualified people can multi-task. We are awake 16 hours per day, use 1 to groom, 1 to eat, even after a day volunteering, there are several hours left to devote to searching for jobs.
It makes sense to do it only on the weekends or in the evenings. Between 9am and 5pm you have to be near the phone for calls from employers and looking out for the latest jobs postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search