Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
This thread has inspired me to show up to all future interviews with a top hat and cane. I'll probably bring along a monocle, just in case I still feel under dressed.
Nice going, you just revealed your true identity, Mr. Peanut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 06:48 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Update: I wore the suit and was slightly overdressed, I was told it was fine if I wanted remove the jacket because it was a bit warm in the interview room.

In any event, I don't think it had any effect on the interview one way or the other but I should find out if I get an offer within a week or two.

Thanks all!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:57 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Update: I wore the suit and was slightly overdressed, I was told it was fine if I wanted remove the jacket because it was a bit warm in the interview room.

In any event, I don't think it had any effect on the interview one way or the other but I should find out if I get an offer within a week or two.

Thanks all!
Sooo, you can be overdressed. Glad we cleared that up and I stuck to my guns (and others who dared go against the grain!) despite the foolery.

But in all honesty, hopefully everything works out for you. Keep us updated.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:

Thanks all!

What makes you say you were slightly overdressed? Compared to who?

Good luck, by the way!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:38 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:

Thanks all!
Want to try underdressing next time and see if it affects it? You might feel overdressed but it doesnt get looked down on but dressing poorly wont ever be looked up to

Old 03-13-2015, 10:54 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
I don't think you'll ever lose out on a job 'over-dressing', you can by under-dressing. So quite simply, when in doubt wear a suit or at least shirt and tie.

Another rule of thumb, you can always ask your interviewer prior for the dress code. It you're in, say, an office job you likely can't go wrong with this for the typical mid-level position.

I think this type of job covers alot of bases for modern professional white collar jobs, or even certain blue-collar. The higher up you go( say a senior exec position), a suit and tie look would be appropriate.

Last edited by Roman77; 03-13-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman77 View Post
I don't think you'll ever lose out on a job 'over-dressing', you can by under-dressing. So quite simply, when in doubt wear a suit or at least shirt and tie.

Another rule of thumb, you can always ask your interviewer prior for the dress code. It you're in, say, an office job you likely can't go wrong with this for the typical mid-level position.

I think this type of job covers alot of bases for modern professional white collar jobs, or even certain blue-collar. The higher up you go( say a senior exec position), a suit and tie look would be appropriate.

IF I were going for a "hipster" interview I don't feel I could go more casual than this..........but maybe a nice "hipster" HR/HM could chime in and let us know agree/disagree?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:20 PM

664 posts, read 806,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In my field (I.T.), it is possible to overdress and it is possible for some employers to hold that against you. Unfair, but it happens.
My field, too (television). Show up in a suit and tie and they'll think you're there to audit the books.

Of course, most of the upper-level people don't actually "interview" anyway; I haven't been on a job "interview" in more than 20 years.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:36 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
Not everyone is employed in nerd heavy jobs such as IT, so be safe and smart and go with being dressed sharp and professional. However, you want your outfit to be professional but not stand out so much that they are paying attention to it rather than you and what you have to say. No flashy shoes or accessories, no bright colors, go with black, navy blue, etc. and most important of all use some common sense for a change.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 PM

152 posts, read 208,721 times
Pay for cheap suit once, shine the dress shoes & wear the heck of out it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search