Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:32 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times

Advertisements

I'd say Forbes gave you some bad advice. Unless the situation is extreme, no one is going to tell you that you are not what they are looking for unless the lack of fit is beyond reproach, especially with a civil service agency. HR and the EEOC officer would have cows. You will rarely be told that you are what someone is looking for. Your degree may put you in the "will leave as as soon as a better job comes along" category.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 03-08-2015 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:18 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Joe, looking back, I was thinking the same thing about that question. I was actually surprised to see it. Both of my parents pretty much said, "Well, your college degree will most likely be counted against you because of how much it is an hour." My dad hopes I get it as experience, but when I said to him, "Well, they'lll pay 10% for the SEPTA (transit company here) pass." His next question was, "How much would it be for a combination pass for bus and train since you'd be taking both." "SEPTA wants $191/month for the combination pass." He exclaimed, "Jess! Even with the discount, you'd still be paying a lot of money! With $10/hour, even full time, I'm just not sure how much you'd be making." Though his friend said if I'm offered, I should take it and just find something else to be able to save for a move and to gain experience. Honestly, I think they might pass me up for someone else. I felt that way in the interview because I finished things very quickly and they didn't like it. I applied for some other jobs. Here is Forbes' advice: http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextaven...ou-should-ask/

Old 03-08-2015, 03:40 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
You need to stop reading magazines for career advice and start meeting people face to face in free career skills classes.

Learn what's working now from people actively searching for jobs and landing them.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:45 PM

move4ward, I joined meetup.com in hopes I could find a group there for this area. Someone sent me their number, so maybe I'll contact him and see what he can suggest. He runs something career oriented in this area. That way maybe he can tell me how I look in interviews. I went through something traumatic, have some health issues and don't like this area too much (saving for a move) - so I wonder if that comes off in interviews. Could an unbiased source give me feedback on facial expressions?

I did use the school;s lab and they just said, "look for something with your experience. Since you want to keep your job until you can move, just tell employers that it's flexible and you're looking for something entry level and will devote your time to that on the weekdays, and have the library for the weekend." Well, that hasn't worked for me. I'm just not sure how young people who already have part time jobs manage to land a full time job and are allowed to keep their PT jobs. I asked them, they said be honest and say you're flexible and give examples of when you did that before. I have and nothing. Some suggested lying, but they ask me in interviews about that job since I've been there for close to 9 years.

I'm also introverted. I NEVER ask questions because questions are very hard for me to ask. That's why I relied on Forbes because people said if you don't ask questions, it's a red flag. Usually my questions come after being hired and start doing the job. My questions arise as I start doing the job.

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 03-08-2015 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 PM

387 posts, read 588,872 times
i wouldn't commute 45 minutes for a $10 job. after gas and travel expenses, you'll be lucky to break even at the end of the week.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I don't drive and it's $175 (after discount)/ month to get there. With other things being taken out of the paycheck and insurance when it kicks in, I just don't know if I'd make any money. I'm keeping my PT library job and would have that, but my goal is to start saving for my goals and dream. However, if I do get the job... I'm just not sure. I need a 2nd job... so maybe I'd take it until I could find something else or keep it until I can move. I guess wait and see what they say about hiring me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search